+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [WoD Beta] Heroic Beastlord Darmac

[WoD Beta] Heroic Beastlord Darmac

Hey there, this is your Pal Pallie and welcome back to Git Er Raid. Warlords of Draenor beta testing continues on with some more Heroic mode bosses. Its time to tame some beasts as we tackle Beastlord Darmac. You'll go up against this guy and his beasts in Blackrock Foundry. As always, encounters can change from the time beta is conducted until it is live.
    So as you can see in this room, there is the boss patting around and a few beasts that you can target. Their names are Cruelfang, Dreadwing, and Ironcrusher. If you want to refer to them as the wolf, drake and elekk, that'll probably be handy. The way the fight works, when the boss hits 85%, he'll hop on one of these 3 beasts. After dispatching the beast, he gains an ability from that beast. Then every 20% that you take off the boss after he's done with a beast, he'll hop on another. If you've done your math here, he'll have used all 3 beasts and be at 45% health where he'll have all 3 beast abilities and then its a race to the finish.
    We'll get to all those beasts in a second but lets first talk about the mechanics the boss will have throughout the whole fight. First off, he'll cast Pin Down and throw 2 spears at the raid group. Where they are going to land is indicated by this swirly little circle. It is possible to move out of them and not get hit by the spears. And you should definitely do that. If you get hit, you are stuck until your raid group kills the spear. Its kind of like the archer guy from the Spirit Kings encounter in Mogushan vaults. Just move!
    It is important to keep these spears bunched up, it seems like you need to take care of them later when we get to some phases. Moving on, the other mechanic the boss will have throughout the whole fight is call “Call the Pack.” This summons a bunch of beasts from this gate here. They are basically aoe fodder but will gain a stacking damage buff if not killed eventually. As long as one pack is dying before the next one comes out, you are generally doing enough cleaving. It should be noted the adds are fully CC-able so if you get in trouble kiting and stunning them can help save a tank.
    So constant spear dodging and constant add packs, check! Now its time to look at the beasts. So you can control which one Darmac brings out by putting him near it when he hits those health breakpoints. Remember, the boss will absorb an ability from the beasts once you kill them off so choose wisely. We'll go into that a little bit later in our brief strategy.
    First up, we have Cruelfang the wolf. This guy has 2 abilities to note. First up is Rend and Tear. The beast will leap towards someone in the raid and swipe them applying a 30 second stacking dot. This can start to hurt if you get hit by it more than once. There isn't much you can do if he targets you over and over again, but you can be spread out to avoid getting swiped by him jumping on someone else.
    His other ability is to do a Savage Howl. This does some very light aoe damage, but it also gives him a dispellable enrage effect. But even worse, that enrage can go onto any nearby adds from that whole Call the Pack mechanic. So for the most part, your tanks will need to be aware of the cooldown of Savage Howl and drag the adds away from the boss before it happens. The combination of the Howl and the adds can be deadly for a tank.
    Once Cruelfang is dead, the boss will gain the Rend and Tear ability and leap around the room slashing at people the rest of the fight. Next, we move on to Dreadwing the drake. This beast tries to burn you with fire. He has a big old breath that will scorch you if you are in it. He telegraphs where he's going to shoot it so just move out quickly.
    There is a conflaguration spell he can cast on a raid member too. Basically you get hit by it and lose control of your character for a few seconds and spray fire to anyone near you. People just simply need to steer clear of you and if you are a healer, you should probably call out to others to help out while you are wandering around. Finally, there is a tank swap debuff called Searing Flames that just increase the fire damage you take by 20% per stack. Obviously tank swaps should happen but it may be hard to do if one tank just picked up a fresh set of pack adds.
    Upon Dreadwing's death, the beastlord gains an ability not seen yet. Its called Superheated Sharpnel and is basically some aoe that he'll put on the ground. It should be noted that it will also light any spears still alive so it makes your entire room lit on fire. Pretty nasty. Prior to killing Dreadwing, you probably want to clean up the room of spears and then push him.
    Lastly, we have Ironcrusher the elephant or Elekk. As befits a large beast, this one has some heavy handed attacks. Starting with the tank mechanic. Its called Crush Armor and is basically an armor debuff that stacks. This can get dicey with the swap off for adds, but just try to swap as much as is possible to not let this stack high. As befits a large animal with big tusks, Ironcrusher will also do a Stampede charge knocking people up and away. And finally, Tantrum is a big aoe the beast will do. It is unavoidable and healers just have to be aware of it and also get used to it. Tantrum is the ability the boss gains after you defeat Ironcrusher.
    So there isn't too much to the strategy of this fight. Mainly your big decision is what order you want to pull the beasts in. The wolf certainly has the easiest mechanic to deal with for the longest period of time. As long as your raid group is loosely spread, you won't have the Rend and Tear stacking too high. The drake and elekk have aoe moves that could be rough on your healers long term. Regardless, you'll have to deal with all three at the end, its just a matter of what you want first. I guess if I had to come up with an initial strategy, I think I'd go with wolf, drake, then elekk.
    Beyond that, most of the mechanics have been explained. People need to be individually responsible for dodging spears. And if they get pinned down, it would be helpful for everyone to have raid assist so they can mark the spear that is pinning them down. It can be a sea of target frames as the fight goes on. Although before you get the drake down, you'll want to clear out spears or at least start grouping away from them. The fire can go everywhere.
    I guess all that can be said is to watch the positioning of the adds. It can be handy for the tanks to be near where the adds come out. Healing aggro can pull one or two away, so being on hand as they come out is great for aoe aggro. Of course, be sure the boss is in range of whatever beast you want him on next. And, as mentioned earlier, when Cruelfang is out, be sure to move the adds away from the boss for Savage Howl.
    Thats about all for this guide on Beastlord Darmac. Tanks, pick up the millions of adds in this encounter as well as swap for the relevant debuffs depending on the beast you have out. Healers, watch the tanks if debuffs go badly or a lot of adds are out and then heal through the fire and tantrum aoes. Dps, get your cleaving boots on and enjoy the redonkulous numbers while avoiding spears and staying mostly spread out. As always, please comment, like and/or subscribe to the video if you found it helpful and have a good one!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Nice video.
    Also, I keep seeing a hydra in the corner, doesn't that do anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Well with the character wipe I guess you'll all have to re-gear up to get into raids again :-(

I got access too but have not done anything but Garrison since last wipe - any hints for gearing up fast? LFR, Dungeons or questing or... ?

Did they remove scaling you up to the right gear level?
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Halgrimm View Post
    Well with the character wipe I guess you'll all have to re-gear up to get into raids again :-(

I got access too but have not done anything but Garrison since last wipe - any hints for gearing up fast? LFR, Dungeons or questing or... ?
    You get your gear and level scaled up to 660 / 100 as soon as you enter a raid instance.

ooohhh interesting... I had no idea... have spent hours reading stuff but missed that one. Thanks folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Nice video.
    Also, I keep seeing a hydra in the corner, doesn't that do anything?
    Apparently I didn't see the multiple heads and identified that as a "drake." Yeah, looks like a hydra now that I see that. Well something to fix for the live guide and/or other modes.

+ Reply to Thread