+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to improve DPS

How to improve DPS

Hi,

A while ago you guys were very helpful when my guild was stuck on Horridon. Now we have a DPS issue and I'm hoping that you can help again.

My question is not what rotations,reforges, stat priorities etc people should be using, but rather how people put that knowledge into practice.

The high-DPS people in our guild try to help the low DPS with advice such as “read Icy Veins” and “use Mr Robot”. This just causes frustration.

Although I'm a healer, I love professions and so I have eleven level 90 chars to choose from. I dug out my Hunter to see what was going on.

I went to Icy Veins to get a rotation,set up my keybinds, gemmed and reforged, set up bars to monitor CDs, got my talents and glyph info from Preach and set about the training dummies. After some practice I peaked at 80k DPS and then ran a few heroic dungeons. My DPS averaged out at 35k (in mostly level 496 gear). This should obviously be a lot higher.

So, what is the actual process for translating knowledge into DPS? For example – as a healer, I've done things like take combat logs when playing alongside better healers and analysing, taking the trouble to set up healer interfaces, forcing myself to use abilities that I'd rather not etc.

I hope this question makes sense.There's obviously something extra that takes place between reading,setting up, practising – and then doing good DPS. I just can't think what it might be.

Grateful for any help you can offer.

the process is pretty much the same, learn what you need to do, make a UI to facilitate doing it, and then actually doing it. Dungeons aren't a good place to measure DPS, Everything dies too quickly and I doubt you have that many raid buffs. Also remember the power curve is pretty slow at first, what I'd do is just Dump a character into SimC and see what Deeps it can theoretically do and treat that as ideal, and on encounters that mimic that model compare damage sources to see if it's in the same order. I also tend to take my rotation form SimC's default priority list since Icy veins can sometimes skip over some of the slightly more nuanced aspects of a spec.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

+ Reply to Thread