+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macro advise

Macro advise

Hi all. First timer poster and here for helpI just got my first character to level 90Tanking has been fun and still learning more. Been advised to look at my ui. Been looking and noticed how cutdown and little buttons users have.I have no macros yet and want some advise on what I should have. Thanks phil

What class are you? I have a few good ones for warriors I can post if you're a prot warrior. If you wanna see what my overall UI looks like - some of the footage from Pallie's H-Paragons guide is from my gameplay perspective.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

DOH

my bad forgot to say I am a Paladin Tank.

Been advised to look at EvlUI also to get me started

Elv is a fine UI, but i'd build your own UI first. ELv is a very lazy way to do it, i've died too many times because someone else's ElvUI is hiding some important debuff or something and they can't see as they haven't configured Elv Correctly.

I'd suggest looking into Tidyplates, Tidyplates:Threatplates, Weakauras 2, and Omen 3
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

cool thanks.

using the standard UI currently and pressing 1--9 for etcs

more I read the more I an cut down to just using macros and the odd attack for pulling

Maybe we can lure fetzie in here for some sweat paladin macros......

You might look in to a bar mod called Dominos. It's a much more efficient way to organize your bars around the screen than the default UI.

And bewary of macros just for the sake of simplicity. There's actually a site out there (I think it's called like lazywowmacros or something) that literally tries to just macro people's rotations into a few buttons.... THESE ARE BAD IDEAS AND WILL MAKE YOU A BAD PLAYER. Combining like abilities or abilities that you'd press at once (offensive cooldowns, trinkets, pots, etc.) aren't so bad... but when you try to macro in a whole rotation, bad things happen.

So good example:

Raid cooldown macro for warriors -
    #showtooltip Rallying Cry
    /cast Rallying Cry
    /stopcasting
    /cast Demoralizing Banner

^ if you use that macro all you have to do is press it and click to place your demo banner and you've just used the two raid cooldowns that warriors always use at the same time in the same macro.

Or: simplifying more complex mechanics:

Warriors can put down a banner and intervene to said banner. So just for example we'll say you intervene to mocking banner:

#showtooltip Intervene
    /target Mocking Banner
    /cast Intervene
    /cast Mocking Banner

If you spam this macro it will cast mocking banner, target it for you, and intervene you to it.

Another example is whenever I place my skull banner I also cast Recklessness.

So... grouping similar abilities via macros and doing more complicated stuff that would require multiple pushes to do one action is fine, but especially as a tank you need to be able to adjust your rotation on the fly as the fight demands and trying to cut down to just a few buttons is a bad idea.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Some of these might not be useful to you, but whatever:

In case I fluff not-using AM at heroic paragons:

Code:
    /cancelaura Shield of the Righteous
    Cast taunt (Reckoning) on an add at heroic malkorok without un-targeting the boss:

Code:
    /tar Living Corruption
    /cast Reckoning
    /targetlasttarget
    I like to have major cooldowns appear in my Bigwigs timers (saves loading another addon):

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /localbar 180 CD DEVOTION
    /cast Devotion Aura
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /localbar 12 GUARDIAN
    /localbar 145 CD GUARDIAN
    /cast Guardian of Ancient Kings
    etc.

Change the cooldown numbers according to the level of your cooldown reduction trinket.

Code:
    /cancelaura Righteous Fury
    In case you are tanking with an idiot that can't hit buttons so you over-aggro them. Also useful for Garrosh P2-P3 so that you don't pull aggro on a ton of adds (Blizzard has tried to fix this about three times and I'm still not sure if they managed or not).

Code:
    #showtooltip Divine Shield
    /cancelaura Divine Shield
    /cancelaura Hand of Protection
    /cast Divine Shield
    For removing debuffs or immuning boss mechanics.

Not useful while tanking, but whatever:

Code:
    #showtooltip Flametalon of Alysrazor
    /cast [nomounted,flyable]Ashes of Al'ar
    /cast [nomounted]Flametalon of Alysrazor
    /cast [nomounted,swimming]Abyssal Seahorse
    /dismount
    Bubble-hearth (use with the minor glyph)
    Code:
    #showtooltip Hearthstone
    /castsequence reset=10 Divine Shield,Hearthstone
    Click once for divine shield, click again for hearthstone.

+ Reply to Thread