+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solo tanking Garrosh as Prot Pally questions.

Solo tanking Garrosh as Prot Pally questions.

Everything I've read so far on solo tanking Garrosh as a Protection Paladin has basically been "It's super easy. Vengence sends Eternal Flame so high that nothing dents your health/stacks drop on Whirling Corruption" and that's a tad less than what I wanted. No strats, no setups, nothing. So, what I'm wanting to know is: what is the recommended glyph/talent setup and whatnot for Garrosh? Would you want to go more towards haste or mastery with your gems/enchants? And of course, the overall strat is basically the same as a prot warrior, right?

I've been thinking that I'd want to go more towards survivability things with glyphs/talents and more haste on the gems/reforges since like everyone says, "vengence sends eternal flame into OP mode" and was just looking for confirmation on this and any possible advice from people with experience.
    Toon name is Paladěn(alt+141 for the i) on Uldum so that you can look him up and see my setup.

Your glyphs will largely depend on your raid setup. For example, if you are going to need to lock down a set of transition adds, you'll need to glyph Holy Wrath for the elemental stun. As for talents, Holy Avenger is really good on Garrosh (especially if you have managed to get your mitts on a HWF Malkorok trinket, and the Light's Hammer healing effect is good on all of the AoE healing phases as the raid is clumped up such a lot.

As the other two glyphs I would take Final Wrath and Word of Glory. The boss has multiple execute range phases, so you get a lot of use out of the HW glyph. Word of Glory glyph gives you an additional 9% damage during Holy Avenger, which means you do a lot of damage, especially if Grand Crusader procs.

You will probably want to be saving major CDs for the Whirlwinds, as for WW 2 and 3 in Phase 2 you will have 12 stacks of the despair debuff. Additionally, you will need to set up a couple of major raid cooldowns for the two tank debuff explosions in Phase 3 as they will hurt quite a lot (especially the second one). With solo-tanking it, you might be able to skip the third P2 Whirlwind.

You might be able to soak annihilates in Transition 1 if you find that the 12 stack debuff plus Whirlwind is not too dangerous with only Divine Protection (leave it unglyphed).

If you use Avenging Wrath on the pull, it will be ready as you come out of the first transition, and then be ready for the bloodlust burn in Phase 3. Use Holy Avenger together with Avenging Wrath.

For solotanking Garrosh your gearing strat is basically the same as always, which is stack haste until you're at the 50% soft cap unbuffed, and then move into mastery. So swap out that mastery gem in your ring, it's icky.

Also I highly recommend ditching Rooks Talisman of Safety Blanket HP at your earliest convenience. I know trinket drops can be far from reliable, but if you have anything else, preferably Thok's Tail Tip or Juggernauts Focusing Crystal, use that. You're taking blue socket bonuses which gives you a fair amount of HP, so you shouldn't need a second stam trinket. My warrior alt solotanked Garrosh for the first time two weeks ago at 560 and about 130k HP less than you have now(pre-buffs). Comparing apples and oranges there I know, but I use this as an example only because I can't remember for the life of me what iLvL my Pally was when I first solo-tanked Garrosh, it was probably ballpark of what you are now though.

Speaking of blue socket bonuses though, if you're going to take them, don't gem hit hybrids. Get your hit rating from reforging.

This brings me to another point, most str socket bonuses aren't really worth taking at all. Unless you reach a point where not taking a red socket makes you lose out on some potential haste from reforging for expertise, or you feel the blue socket gives you the small chunk of HP you needed to survive something you can't rectify with better CD usage. After the reforging is said and done all you've really gained is Mastery with some attack power that is a measly percentile next to vengeance. Or, as I said, a little more HP.
    Here's about what I'd be doing if I were you: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/u...m/palad%C3%ACn
    *NOTE* I didn't just go to AskStupidRobot and hit optimize, the weights are adjusted a bit, and there are two green gems I manually locked in. But you'll notice that now all of your reforging is either into Hit, Expertise, or Haste.

As for actually tanking Garrosh, what I've been doing is pretty similar to what Fetz said with some slight differences. I generally stick with the Divine Protection glyph, just because the melee swings can still get pretty intense, especially in phase 1. Though that can depend on how fast the DPS are melting the adds. I've never glyphed Holy Wrath for the elemental stun, in my experience they just don't hit hard enough to warrant much worry. So I usually just roll with the standard Glyohs setup of:
    Alabastar Shield/Final Wrath/Divine Protection
    And then in phase 2 I pop Divine Protection on every second to last stack application, and try to have 5 bastion stacks timed for at least the 3rd to last stack application. (Side note- Pre 4 set I found that Sacred Sheild could provide a bit smoother damage on Garrosh just because having to take 3 holy power form ShotR for a EF could cause a spike) And then I usually hold HolyAvenger/AvengingWrath at the start of phase 2, because the first set of stacks you take only goes up to about 8, so Divine Protection does the job there. So I pop HA/AW prior to the second Whirling Corruption around the 7'th or 8'th stack application leading to the 12'th. Doing this usually leaves it back up in pletny of time for Lust/Burn and it makes you able to pretty much chease the 2nd whirling corruption with jsut a Divine Protection. For the 3rd whirl I usually do a Ardent Defender along with DP, 4'th I usually have my Devo Aura. The CD rotation you choose to use though is going to varry a lot with yoru Raid composition and the gear/competence of the healers, but you get the basic idea.
    Really, I don't know a lot about hunters and the only good advice I can give is: TURN PET TAUNT OFF! ~Aggathon

Thanks for the tips! As for gear, I had been in the middle of fiddling around with AMR and trying to get all the weights set to something better than their defaults(and I forgot to swap out the mastery gem. Rookie mistake, I know.) but to no avail yet. I've also been wanting to get the Thok trinket to replace the Rook one, even though I do like the Rook trinket's use effect.

For this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Here's about what I'd be doing if I were you: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/u...m/palad%C3%ACn
    *NOTE* I didn't just go to AskStupidRobot and hit optimize, the weights are adjusted a bit, and there are two green gems I manually locked in. But you'll notice that now all of your reforging is either into Hit, Expertise, or Haste.
    Would it be possible you just PM/post the weights? It isn't showing the weights you added in, only the ones I already have set(unless you somehow put the same ones I had set, which I doubt.)

Also, I'll be using what both of you guys said, along with referencing Fetz's guide. I've only been tanking normals for about 2-3 months, so I'm still woefully ignorant of the finer points of pally tanking, opting more for a "experiment and keep what works" way of going about things. Not the best most times, but hey, it's worked so far and helped me get to 13/14 on normal with some pretty good survivability.

If you don't feel safe soaking annihilates, then don't do it. It is only really necessary on heroic.

Yeah, I'll see about soaking those. But if it shouldn't be too much of a problem with my gear + the updated glyphs/talents/reforges/gems, I'll probably soak them just to get used to it for if I make it to heroic Garrosh.

Quote Originally Posted by larryguy View Post
    Yeah, I'll see about soaking those. But if it shouldn't be too much of a problem with my gear + the updated glyphs/talents/reforges/gems, I'll probably soak them just to get used to it for if I make it to heroic Garrosh.
    Obviously assuming you get the -damage taken buff:

I use Divine Protection for the first three. Then I use Guardian. On the swing before Guardian ends, I use Ardent Defender. I then use Divine Protection as soon as it comes off cooldown. If you don't have the cooldown reduction trinket, you will have two swings (about 6 seconds) that you need to either dodge or use external CDs to cover before Divine Protection comes off cooldown.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you! Now once I figure out how to work weights on AMR, I'll be set!

Quote Originally Posted by larryguy View Post
    Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you! Now once I figure out how to work weights on AMR, I'll be set!
    Apologies for getting back to you on that so late, I was trying to form a response last night but my train of thought was absolutely nowhere to be found.

Mmmk, so, the absolute first thing you do when working with Mr. Robot is go into Edit Weights and enable "At Least" Mode. Under normal circumstances Mr. Robot will put you slightly under your caps in favor of being slightly over and "wasting stats" to eliminate a statistical outlier. Short version is that if you wipe a raid you want it to be for a reason in your control that can be fixed, not because the boss parried your ShotR and you took a damage spike.
    Moving on, the next thing you do is tweak the weights of three things: Stamina, Strength, and Mastery. Unless you're at a point where you absolutely don't care about stamina at all, always keep Str a little lower than Stam in weight. And then only occasionally will you adjust Mastery's weight. Which, unless you adjust it drastically the only thing it will really influence is partially whether or not you'll use a Exp hybrid, since a lot of the time that is all you will actually gain from it, aside from the socket bonus. So, what I ended up putting your weights at was along these lines:
    Stamina: .45
    Mastery: .65
    Strength: .4
    Now if you plug these in you'll notice that it has you using a Hit hybrid in your head slot. Whether or not you follow this is up to you. Most of the time just as a cardinal rule a lot of us try to avoid geming hit. But given that you're stuck with that second stamina trinket for the time being a stam hybrid is really just a miniscule difference anyway.

And of course there's always the option I had been going with until I hit the 50% haste cap, which is gem straight haste. (unless an exp hybrid could get you more after reforging) And then just lock in all of your geming choices manually and have Mr. Robot do the measly task of optimizing your hit/exp caps. Although for that you could just get Reforge-Lite and have it do your reforging in 10 seconds flat in game.
    Really, I don't know a lot about hunters and the only good advice I can give is: TURN PET TAUNT OFF! ~Aggathon

Yeah, I don't bother with ask mr robot. I have reforgelite set up for the hit and expertise, and then I mess around with it a bit. I'm not swapping gems in all my gear pieces every time I get a new item. It isn't like it'll make a difference anyway; I could tank with spirit gems and reforges and nobody would be any the wiser in current gear levels.

Yeah, the only time I REALLY consult Mr. Robot is when I'm basically using him as a glorified spreadsheat, plugging in exp hybrid combos seeing where it gets me. And occasionally to cross check ReforgeLite's decision making skills. In this particular case though I felt it would be more benificial to the OP to see a visual aid with his own gear rather just linking one of our armories and saying: do it like that young grasshopper!

A single exp or hit hybrid gem might actually help with reforges if ReforgeLite keeps putting you over the cap significantly.
    For me, this mainly consists of swapping expertise vs mastery glove enchant whenever I'm ~80-100 over the cap on optimal reforges, as usually, the addon can find a better solution with the different enchant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Fetzie, I just noticed, congratulations on the 14/14 Heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Fetzie, I just noticed, congratulations on the 14/14 Heroic.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Thanks
    Unless I catch a break, I'm going to end tier 11/14 H (got H Thok filling in healing with a prior guild) Wanted to see H Garrosh too, the fight on the shores of Stormwind looks fun.

If you are not kiting the actual Iron star that spawned, the last phase is nothing but
    a) move in and out of a circle for debuffs
    b) move away from everyone during bombardment, then rush to stack again
    c) repeat and use any defensive you have when boss hits 100 energy

I've been told that kiting the star is a pain unless you're a Druid and the boss hits like a truck on tanks, but as a DPS, this is relatively dissappointing compared to the phase right before it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

+ Reply to Thread