+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problems with Protection damage output

Problems with Protection damage output

Hello.

I am having some issues with damage output as protection warrior particularly at Garosh HC it is something I have been pulled up regarding that fight.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%A1/advanced

On HC Garosh my glyphs remain the same Incite/Heavy Repercussions/Hold the Line BUT with talents I am using Shockwave instead of dragon's roar.

I am posting because I am struggling to see where I am going wrong in my damage output on the boss I make sure not to shield slam unless shield block is up only rage dump with HS when capped/incite is up to make sure I can have shield block up when I am slamming...Frankly I am struggling to see where I am going wrong any feedback at all would be much apreciated.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/rX4azMBL2AW3yNqD

You should/must be using SHield slam on CD, regardless of any other factors. Never delay a shield slam. Ever. Sblock lasts 6s, shield slam has a baseline cd of 6 seconds. regardless of when you activate shield block Shield slam will come off CD before it expires, so just press it on CD

Your Shield block uptime should be around 66%, yours is at 33% on the log. that's awful. keep shield block recharging at all times.

Use your revenge procs, and use them quickly. you got 160 HtL procs but only cast Revenge 113 times.

Main hand should be River song. Riposte only converts avoidance rating to crit, it doens't convert avoidance from strength to crit so Dancing steel is worth 3.3k AP which is a minuscule amount of AP. Bracers should be Dodge for the same reason.

8 incites on 12 minute fight is kinda meh, Demo is a minute CD baseline(reduced by the trinket), you should have at least 12. so that's 36 Heroic strikes, and you had 38 ultimatum procs, that 74 HSs, you used 64.

you need to use your procs.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

also, I'm a huge fan of hit/exp > parry > CRIT > dodge > mastery for the DPS build. This means you tend to put crit/expertise gems in yellow sockets and you go full parry without trying to balance it with dodge.You only get HtL procs from Parry and crit gives you more crit rating than dodge does (according to my calculations). Parry is far more important to just have the avoidance and the HtL procs, but dodge sucks. If you're going avoidance build it's not for survivability, it's for DPS, and in all of my SimCraft calcs crit is more dps than dodge.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    ... crit gives you more crit rating than dodge does (according to my calculations).
    Actually, Parry/Dodge > crit rating as long as you have >80% uptime on Riposte.
    Atleast while tanking, as that is where the majority of your damage will be situated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    Actually, Parry/Dodge > crit rating as long as you have >80% uptime on Riposte.
    Atleast while tanking, as that is where the majority of your damage will be situated.
    That's not what simcraft says. Maybe for parry at low DR values that's true, but factoring out parry and just accounting for dodge vs. crit, I always end up with more crit by just stacking crit than dodge, and regardless of any of that, simcraft always shows me doing more DPS when I switch dodge for crit.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Maybe for parry at low DR values that's true,
    Isn't the dodge/parry to crit conversion independent of DR?

Yes. However it's only 75% conversion, so in terms of pure crit 1dodge is 0.75 crit, however the actual act of dodging procs revenge, and that bit is subject to diminishing returns. So if you reach a point where you're dodge rating is hardly increasing the frequency of revenge procs crit stats pulling ahead.

EDIT: however i wouldn't be surprised if gemming pure parry and ignoring the socket bonuses would work better anyhow.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 05-29-2014 at 06:50 AM.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Yes. However it's only 75% conversion, so in terms of pure crit 1dodge is 0.75 crit, however the actual act of dodging procs revenge, and that bit is subject to diminishing returns. So if you reach a point where you're dodge rating is hardly increasing the frequency of revenge procs crit stats pulling ahead.

EDIT: however i wouldn't be surprised if gemming pure parry and ignoring the socket bonuses would work better anyhow.
    That's pretty much what I do unless the socket bonus is really really good.

Your Shield block uptime should be around 66%, yours is at 33% on the log. that's awful. keep shield block recharging at all times.

Use your revenge procs, and use them quickly. you got 160 HtL procs but only cast Revenge 113 times.

I hate world of logs, can't seem to find anything on that site. Can you please tell me out to get these 2 stats out of the Log for my character ?

Thanks,

Via warcraft logs or world of logs? They're two separate sites.
    MoP RPS Calculator

There, just answered my question. I didnt know the other existed. I always refer log to world of logs.

+ Reply to Thread