+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monk Gearing question

Monk Gearing question

Hello everyone!

As the titel says i need abit of help with how i should use all my gear in my bag.

Currently i'm playing Crit monk both 10m and 25m and ive killed all 14 bosses in both (heroic). and i am using Fallen protectors fist weapon 2x Heroic warforged. recently gotten my hands on garrosh staff heroic warforged so i was kinda stomped. i guess i see the benefits of playing duel wield. but ive never really tried 2h so cant say how/if it could be any benefit for me.

So my question is just this. duel wield or 2h?

(Current weapons duel wield: Fallen protector fist weapons (crit / hit) both heroic warforged)

(Current weapons 2h: Garrosh 2h staff (crit / mastery) heroic warforged)

If you've fully cleared both 10 and 25HC, it won't make any noticeable differenc, bar the weapon stats, slightly more stam/secondary stats, slightly less agility.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

True that i might not need to care since ive cleared it. But there is a major lack of monks that want to discuss duel wield vs 2h on my server / friend list so i was just curious if someone here knew if there was a big difference in the damage between the two choices.

Not really, certainly nowhere near the difference between 2h Frost and DW frost DKs or TG and SMF warriors. it's pretty much jsut a case that DW monks have slightly more agility so do slightly more DPS, and 2h monks have more stam/secondary stats so are slightly more tanky.
    MoP RPS Calculator

While i agree strongly with Tengenstein's perspective. there is a critical point here that he's kind of overlooking. "Crit build". The purpose of the crit build is to generate guards off your statue. At its most basic, your trying to transform damage into mitigation. As a crit build monk your already on the low end of both armor and health and while water cooler wisdom would suggest that this means your in need of more stats, the reality is the monk is displacing damage both to himself as well to the raid. simply put you want more damage to create bigger and bigger Guards. If your running the 2 piece then this also translates into more 2piece procs with reduces your damage taken by even more.

So while I see what Ten is saying, I'd say that because of the crit build, damage is more important, so you should dual wield, all things being equal. And dual wield heroic warforged fists are 2nd in slot behind only the heroic heirloom axes...

Guard size is based of vengeance, Whether you go crit, mastery, haste or spirit build vengeance will be constant since it's based on the size of unmitigated damage of attacks aimed at you. you are not going to get Bigger guards by having more crit. You will get more guards because you do more DPS, but they will be the roughly the same size, because all builds get roughly the same vengeance. Furthermore, because the statue's shield are targeted and can't be time they tend to be somewhat negligible in shifting damage from the raid to you. Don't get me wrong it's a nice bonus, especially with the 2 pc, but the bottom line is DW returns higher TMIs than 2H builds all things being equal, just as crit builds return higher TMIs than mastery or haste builds.

If you do use SimC to generate your own stat weights you'll see the bis pieces can switch around a lot.
    MoP RPS Calculator

+ Reply to Thread