+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simple Thok question

Simple Thok question

Does the debuff from Thok "Fearsome Roar" mean that you take more damage from further "Fearsome Roars" or from any incoming damage?

I've been told that when you get blasted off of Thok I should let the other tank pick up the Jailer. It doesn't make sense to me because I am basically at the jailer when I get thrown back and it makes more sense for me to pick up the jailer than wait for someone else to do it. I've looked at my logs and it doesn't look like I take any more damage than the other tank is taking.

Thanks guys.

Yes, however, It's never been something I worry about, (their soothable/shaivable/tranq shotable enrage is more of a concern) and unless you can very precisely time when you go into a Blood Frenzy (or let one tank go more than two stacks) to there isn't a particularly large window where both tanks won't have stacks. Generally we cover it with a disarm until the stacks fall off Alternatively you could position the raid so that they get knocked back towards the jailer, whist the tank with aggro gets knocked side ways, essentially pull form 90 degrees from the direction you enter Thok's room.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

the way we position in heroic is basically to park thok in front of either the poison or frost gates (depending on what phase we're on) and basically face thok into the gates, therefore when we're knocked back as tanks, it's really not possible for the tank that was tanking (and subsequently knocked back) to pick up the add.Having said that in Normal mode I've always solo tanked it. I'm not even sure how to dual tank it in normal mode... so yeah... not too worried about the extra damage increases.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

@tengenstein - We face him towards the entrance when we start. The other tank starts and i end up getting the knockback depending on the DPS. When I get knocked back I can get to him quicker so I've been picking him up because we've had problems with range getting aggro before the other tank (bear) can get into range to taunt. That's only in normal though and I don't want to develop bad habits so i might taunt him to me and get the bear to taunt off of me when she gets in range. It would make use of my mobility and then I wouldn't have the extra damage debuff.

@Aggathon - How do you stop getting frozen in the frost gate if you solo tank it? We are 25 man now. Would that make a difference to whether we could solo tank it?

BTW congrats on the podcast - "Commanding shout". Very informative as would be expected by the Tankspot team. You both really nailed it. If you are taking suggestions I think tips for specific bosses segment would be good based on Prot only (maybe just heroics or even normal) would be good. I bet people could come together with good tips that will improve our class as a whole and make us look like a better tanking option even though everyone should know by now that we are the best tanks. The reason i say that is it sounded like the podcast was worried about content and maintaining new and interesting stuff for the future. There may even be a segment in there for challenge modes if you guys do that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Tigher; 04-23-2014 at 05:23 PM.

just run cooldowns on the tank when they're frozen and make sure they hit shield wall right before the 5th stack, have ranged switch real quick and break the tank out of the iceblock. It's no big deal.

Edit: and thanks for the suggestions! I'll pass them on to dunlock.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I didn't realise you could do that. Had i known when we were 10 man i would have suggested it. Now that we are 25 man the increase to dps probably wouldn't merit the risk of something going pearshaped and the tank dropping especially as the off tank can maintain solid dps comparable to some of our lower geared/skilled dps.

Also I sympathise with your inability to unlearn the WASD keybind. I've been using that since quake 1 (DM4 was a big favourite of mine for any of you who know what i'm talking about) and it's so engrained that I couldn't move it if I wanted.

The thing that I've noticed that is missing in all the podcasts is the real nitty gritty advice, stuff that you listen to and think "I know that, and that, and that - dang I never thought about that, that's going to make X problem go away completely, I'm such an idiot why didn't i think of that before". I'd like to hear more about key binds and macros. I know I use the charge leap macro and there are a lot of people out there that don't even know that it exists. That has made a huge help for me to grab snap aoe aggro (and not lose my rage boost) at the start of a pull. The banner invtervene thing is something that a lot of noob wars wouldn't know about either. I don't think you should go into it and give the macro because people can search for it if they know about it in the first place. I guarantee that there would be some elite warriors out there that have been doing something stupid since they started and they learned it on a different tier and haven't realised that it doesn't work like that now or is no longer required like it used to be.

Anyway I suppose that's not really for this forum so i will leave it at that.

+ Reply to Thread