+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Warrior Tanking?

Help with Warrior Tanking?

I'm having some problems on tanking with my warrior, and i need some help.

My main is a tanking druid, of 578 ilvl. (My warrior is 570)
    I do good on him, i almost never die, even when things gets ugly.

I was a healer until SoO, when i decided to change my core from 10 to 25-man, more precisely when they announced mythics at blizzcon. And i decided to go from healing to tanking, because we could not find reliable tanks that would do well, and don't leave us, or miss raiding days.

But i don't really think Bear is a good tank for a 25-man, or in the future for 20-man.
    That is my opinion, i understand that they CAN do it, but i think they bring much less utility, like defensive CD's, or even movimentation with charge/leap... etc...

So i decided to start a warrior, and now hes almost ready to take my druids place in the raid.

I'm using an avoidance build: http://us.battle.net/wow/pt/characte...3%A3n/advanced
    The only problem is the lack of legendary cloak, but i have the metagem now.

My problem is that my warrior feels squishy, more precisely, in most of the time, it does not even take damage, but suddenly he drops too much, or even die.

It feels more rage starved then my druid, even with avoidance build. And Shield Barrier feels weaker then Frenzied Regeneration, because sometimes my life drops too fast to be able to use it, and because it seems to produce small numbers.

My skills priority is: Shield Slam -> Revenge -> Maintain ThunderClap Debuff -> Devastate

I keep Shield Block up at all possible times, and try to use extra rage on Shield Barrier.
    I also use Heroic Strike on procs, and yet my damage seems not better on my war then it was on my druid. Mostly equal...

The truth is that, in my druid, i felt like i could take anything, aggro anything, and if i played right, used the CD's and all, i would survive anything. But my warrior just feels like he might die at any time...

Exemple: I was doing Galakras HC towers, on the second tower... my healer stayed alittle too much behind, and i was the first to reach the top of the tower.
    I was with Shield Block and Shield Barrier up when i taunted the Cannoneer, and he simply destroyed me, i died in less then 2 seconds (1.9 sec by recount), without taking any unecessary damage.

Next try, it was was a breeze to tank that add...

It just seems too random... bursty...

Is it my CD using? Another place i have died was Nazgrim, one execute without Shield Barrier and a defensive and i'm done.
    I know that you should cicle defensives on Executes, but i don't want to be the focus of all our healers CD's... I know they are there to be used, but its strange for me, i never needed CD's if i wasn't taking it on lower health, or with another damage happening, like Execute and Warsong near each other, and things like that. (On my druid)

Is it me? Is it my gear, can anyone help me?

I'm doing something wrong?
    Warriors are normally like this?
    Is it the fact that i don't have the legendary cloak?
    Or is it my perception that is skewed because i was playing bear?

(I know some pieces are not great for Tanking, like head, but this is an alt, i just got whatever dropped that was an upgread over timeless island pieces. So please be gentle about that.)

Thanks for the help.

I mean, not having the legendary cloak hurts, but that shouldn't make or break things based on what you're describing.

I think it's mainly ability usage. The difference between a good warrior and a great warrior is how effectively they use their toolbelt.

So to start off on H-Galakras... I almost always engage that second tower mob with a cooldown, whether it be demo shout or shield wall or last stand. Sometimes if the healer is behind he can just face you. Secondly, you can't block that mob's attacks, so having shield block up is pointless. Use all your rage there on sbar.

Since you can't have 100% coverage with shield block, the judicious use of shield block and shield barrier is very important, you need to switch them up based on whatever your current situation is. When you're not tanking it's sometimes good to let your shield block charges regen.

From a DPS perspective: with the riposte/avoidance build hitting revenge as fast as possible becomes very important, but make sure you keep up your sunder stacks. Shield slam is by far your highest damage ability and it hits REAL hard when shield block is up, managing vengence, intervening on some fights if it's save to do so to keep your vengeance high can help. So yeah, try as much as possible to shield slam with shield block up if you're focused on DPS.

Your gearing/build though - the avoidance build is NOT better for tanking and you WILL feel squishier, peroid. If you feel like you're dying a lot and are taking too much damage, go full mastery (up to 89% unbuffed, which will be 100% raid buffed) before going back for more parry.

Secondly, you're kind of doing the avoidance build wrong. You have a LOT of dodge. The thing that makes avoidance do a lot of dps is that when you parry your revenge does 50% more damage due to the Hold The Line Glyph. This does not activate on dodges. Subsequently you're sabatoging your damage by stacking that much dodge. If you go with a riposte build you should really go all-in on parry. You can stack it pretty damn high without anything bad happening.

So, TL;DR: if you're worried about DPS: go Parry (And frankly for HM-25 man you can do this until H-Siegecrafter, for 10 man you can pretty much do this build for the whole tier).

If you're worried about Squishiness/Dying: go Mastery
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Oh also, ditch those trinkets as soon as you can, go with the Rook and Malkorok trinkets if you can.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

movimentation

This is my new favorite word.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    This is my new favorite word.[/COLOR]
    I'm not of english language... -_-' i was typing fast, from a cellphone, so please try to be less of a grammar nazi.

Edit: btw: https://translate.google.com.br/?hl=.../movimentation
    Aggathon:

My guild is on Siegecrafter 25-HC right now.
    And i know about Cannoneer not being blockable, it was to avoid damage from the melee adds. Maybe they hit for too little for me to care about then and i should just refresh barrier as you said.

About mastery build, doesnt it feels even more bursty?
    When you have shield block up its great, then if its down you take all the hits to the face. It seems unreliable...

About malk trinket... it just never drops... and we are on 25-man. lol
    Last edited by satanicway; 04-02-2014 at 11:07 AM.

No, mastery build is most definitely LESS bursty. And with t16 2pc with it up you effectively remove like 78% of all melee damage while shield block is up. It is just ridiculous. Mastery build is EASILY the most survivable, if you look through teng's thread or look up "Aggathon's Rage Bar episode 4" both places explain this out fairly well.

On H-Siegecrafter you want to save shield block for frenzies and focus on banking your rage to absorb static shocks (or whatever the hell they're called).

Pallie should be releasing the H-Siegecrafter guide soon where he has a few tanking tips that may help, but I may put out a second video that is strickly from the tank perspective since H-Siegecrafter is easily the hardest tank fight in the instance at the moment, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by satanicway View Post
    I'm not of english language... -_-' i was typing fast, from a cellphone, so please try to be less of a grammar nazi.
    Pretty sure the cow, err Bovinity, was being serious. That is a fun word to describe warrior mobility.
    Really, I don't know a lot about hunters and the only good advice I can give is: TURN PET TAUNT OFF! ~Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Pretty sure the cow, err Bovinity, was being serious. That is a fun word to describe warrior mobility.
    Why? Seriously, i fail to see how it was improper, like i said my english is far from perfect.

Aggathon:

You are completly right, sorry about my confusion, what i didn't knew was that Mastery increased both Block %, and Critical Block %... Idk why i was thinking it only gave me Critical Block %.

Thank you for your time to post here.
    I'm watching the videos, and they are great. =D

I will start to read abit more about prot so i can start do some theorycraft on my own too.

I'd much rather heal a bear than an avoidance prot warrior; avoidance prot warriors are spikey has hell and a pain in the ass to heal; like some children, they need constant attention.

In fact, our MT is a bear and she's a breeze to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by satanicway View Post
    Why? Seriously, i fail to see how it was improper, like i said my english is far from perfect.
    HE WAS JOKING AROUND BECAUSE THE WORD IS FUNNY PLEASE STOP TAKING OFFENSE NOBODY IS BEING ANGRY OTHER THAN YOU I AM POSTING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE ALL CAPS IS FUN TIMES NOT ANGRY TIMES (except this probably won't be in all caps because all caps gets filtered out, iirc, still...the intent was there)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I'd much rather heal a bear than an avoidance prot warrior; avoidance prot warriors are spikey has hell and a pain in the ass to heal; like some children, they need constant attention.

In fact, our MT is a bear and she's a breeze to heal.
    Is he doing it right? an avoidance warrior shouldn't be that spikey. Spikier than a Mastery warrior sure, but still tanky nonetheless
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    HE WAS JOKING AROUND BECAUSE THE WORD IS FUNNY PLEASE STOP TAKING OFFENSE NOBODY IS BEING ANGRY OTHER THAN YOU I AM POSTING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE ALL CAPS IS FUN TIMES NOT ANGRY TIMES (except this probably won't be in all caps because all caps gets filtered out, iirc, still...the intent was there)
    Like i said, my lack of pefect knowledge of english makes me unable to understand what is "funny" in this word.

My last post was me confused and trying to understand why he felt it was that "funny", so that i can understand when or when not i should, if i ever should, use this word.

But, we can go back to the topic now right?

+ Reply to Thread