+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior Build: Mastery or Parry/Dodge for Riposte?

Prot Warrior Build: Mastery or Parry/Dodge for Riposte?

Hello Everyone,

I've usually focused on a +Mastery build, but am seeing some Prot Warriors going with a Parr/Dodge build for +Riposte.
    - Step 1: Get Expertise to 15%, Hit to 7.5%
    - Step 2: Load up on +Mastery or Parry/Dodge build. (What's the diminishing returns for bot?)

I'd like to know peeps thoughts here. I'm a casual raider having finished Flex SoO a number of times and now just starting on SoO Normal content: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...apollux/simple

Thanks!

It's a pretty simple chart.

Are you dying/are healers having issues healing you?
    No -> Parry/dodge for more DPS
    Yes -> mastery to keep from dying.

Through most of heroic content my MT and I (we're both prot warriors) were able to go parry/dodge for more dps... until we got to heroic siegecrafter who hits really really hard, and then the heroic paragons hit really really hard, and supposedly so does h-garrosh, but we're not quite there yet (oh and fyi this is 25 man). So we're back to Mastery now for survivability.

As far as DR on parry/dodge... just go full parry, you pick up dodge where you can, maybe matching yellow sockets with parry/dodge gems. The reason for this is that even though this isn't the "maximum avoidance" you're not going parry/dodge to be a better "tank" as far as absorbing damage and being easier to heal. Anyone who tells you that is lying and trying to justify meter padding. Avoidance builds are for increased DPS. Period. The reason it does so much more dps is because parry = hold the line proc= beast revenge crits.

And since Riposte is 75% of avoidance % gain... well... you could balance out dodge and parry... but you're talking about like maybe a 3-5% difference AT MOST which would lead to a 2-4% increase in crit AT MOST. Not that big of a deal for a tank, and then you're dodging more than parrying so you're losing out on HTL damage.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Oh and just as I side note I highly recommend the unending rage glyph. It allows you to both sblock and sbar at the same time and makes rage management just sooo much easier.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

EDIT: Ignore what Agg says about Balancing gaining you Crit, it doesn't as RIpostes is based off avoidance rating, not avoidance chances the crit you get is not affected by the DR on chances, you'll still get the same amount of crit from a full Parry gemmed setup as a balance Dodge/Parry setup.

His diet must be affecting his brain.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 03-28-2014 at 07:08 AM.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Thanks a ton Gentlemen,

That's very useful information. I've also got a "more squishy" iLvl 531 Prot Warrior (also Apollux) on Stormrage. For now, he gets a +Mastery build, but my iLvl 558 on Terenas will go Avoidance focusing on +Parry. Good stuff.

Also, don't really worry about stam. You'll have enough hit points with your gear level. Hitting a nice blue socket bonus, sure go with a stam hybrid gem. Otherwise... MEH

Thus far on 10m heroic I am thoroughly un impressed with tank damage. That's with the first 4 down, have only been able to give gal a few nights.

That said, progressing through 10m normal with mostly flex gear, you should be able to support an avoidance build most of the way assuming you gear up at a steady pace with your progression level. You might run into trouble with Thok. Siegecrafter is meh. Klaxxi.... I guess can get a bit interesting. Garrosh you'll have to play that one by feel.
    Really, I don't know a lot about hunters and the only good advice I can give is: TURN PET TAUNT OFF! ~Aggathon

Wait till you get to Juggs HC, Greg. It's the first fight we've considered having 3 healers for. We didn't, but its still the first one where tank death was a thing for us.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Yeah, H-Jug can kill a tank. After that like... if a tank fucks up they could die on Naz but that's the tank's fault for not using some sort of absorb effect or cooldown for the executes. Maybe... =P. After that like..... I guess Thok kinda tickles but again, proper taunt rotations and cooldowns work fine.

Really it's H-Siegecrafter, H-Paragons, and H-Garrosh that hit just REALLY god damn hard.

+ Reply to Thread