+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Level 90 Boost conundrum

Level 90 Boost conundrum

Hey

I've purchased the presale for WoD and I've had the boost sitting on my login page taunting me. I've decided to boost a holy pally (OS tank - probably end up being MS though knowing my love of tanking) and I would like your feedback on something. Do you think I should level it to 60 and boost to get 600 professions or boost from zero to 90 and level the professions afterwards.

Here's some more info for you guys to provide more informed advice:
    • Proffesions that I want are Engineering and Alchemy
    • This will be an alt that I will probably play but not as much as my main - Prot warrior
    • I'm not rich and can't afford to buy everything for the profession boost from 0 - 600 in one hit. It's around 20K on my server per profession
    • I have limited time, I raid 3 nights a week and basically have another 4 - 6 hours that I can squeeze in around raiding for VP, farming and any achievements that I'm looking for
    • I have mining and BS at max on another character
    • I have herbing on a level 60 - 65 lock (can't remember his level atm)
    • The main reason for this is so that I can synergise my professions better and I want the Golem mount and the chopper and any other mounts that you can get from engineering and i don't like the AH way of making money. I also want to be able to make belt buckles and need the living steel to do so. Living steel goes for 300G on my server
    • I have a monk with LW and skinning that i will eventually max out but I already levelled a pally to 65 or 70 on another server and i don't want to go through that again.
    • I have max JC, mining, BS, Enchant already
    • I am not using these professions to min max the alt they are for synergy as noted above
    Anyway let me know what you think. All comments are welcome.

M

Your conundrum basicly comes down to:

Option a) Null-to-90
    + No wasted time on levelling the Paladin
    + Engineering requires very little cloth/leather to level and non past 350 iirc, so costs & effort will be minimal
    - Alchemy is hard to level without a 90 Herbalist
    - You'll basicly be levelling your Warlock to 90 for the herbalism instead of the Paladin to 60.

Option b) Instant 600 profs
    + No time/gold investment in getting professions up
    + Learned your basic playstyle as you levelled to 60
    - No 90 Warlock
    - levelled to 60 ... again

The question you need to ask yourself is this:
    Is it faster/cheaper for you to level a Paladin to 60 than to a) level your Warlock and b) farm mats for a couple of hours to level professions?
    Currently, stat potions and elixirs sell for enough to cover most of the levelling cost and a Transmute spec will net you a lot of gold in the long run, so the gold value is about even. So in the end it comes down to having a 90 Warlock vs having a bit of experience playing Paladin in 5mans before you're 90. (As that will probably be the fastest way to level for Holy/Protection)

PS: I'm on a server with 10k+ players Horde side and Living Steel Belt Buckles still cost 240g, the price doesn't really drop that much because most people don't farm Trillium in the world, they do the Halfhill Farm for what they need and only sell the surplus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

That's weird. I thought I had responded to this already but my post is missing.

Anyway, It looks like I'm stuck with option B. There is no way i will level my lock to 90 before I level my Pally to 60. I have all the heirlooms for a pally and I've done it as a tank already so I can smash through that. I might swap over to holy for the last 10 levels to give me a feel for it before the boost.

I don't really like the lock that much and it would be more of a chore to level him than to level the pally.

I thought I would get the herbs for alchemy up to level 300 and then the buy the rest but that's probably more expensive. I've had a look through the AH too and a lot of the herbs that I need aren't even on sale. Thanks for that advice Airo. The idea of being stuck levelling my Lock to play my pally doesn't sit well with me at all.

I'm hoping to get all the tank classes to 90 before WoD and I have a monk at level 40 but i don't really like the early playstyle of the monk and it's making it hard to level it even with the boost to exp. Perversely, I think it will take me longer (not play time) to level the monk (panda) to 90 than it will take me to get a druid which is my last tank class (after my boost) even though the monk and panda combo gets a huge xp boost.

Monk does play weird at the start, but I found that once you have the Brewmaster passives, it kinda becomes a bit like my Warrior.
    Keg Smash & Jab for Chi (= Rage), rotate Elusive Brew ('CD' capped) and Blackout Kick for active mitigation like Shield Block/Barrier, Breath of Fire replaces Thunderclap as AoE (instant + DoT), Guard + Expel Harm for a bit of burst reduction + resource, like Demo Shout or Shout/Zerk Rage, Tiger Palm (Devastate) if you have nothing to do.

Atleast that's how I'm doing in the mid-40s right now

I don't mind the monk but it feels a little more squishy than my plate classes. I don't know why. I have a max level prot war, a 86 blood DK and I've had a 65 prot Pally and they all feel a little more robust to me. Don't get me wrong I will eventually max level my monk (I checked and he's level 40 so hopefully it will feel a bit better soon) it's just that it doesn't "feel" as good as the plate classes for me. I started that Pally and I've got him to level 25 with around 6 hours played so it won't take long to get him to 60. Especially with the rested exp boost which i normally get as I only get to play him on the weekends. After that i've only got my druid and I have all the tank classes that I want.
    Last edited by Tigher; 03-23-2014 at 05:17 PM.

I think it's level 42 that you get a bunch of passives at once, which for me was like getting Shield Block/Barrier after having nothing but Heroic Strike as Rage spender to tank with.

Ahh

That would make a hude difference then. He's boring as hell at the moment. I will get those two levels after I get my pally to 60 and see how much the game play changes. 600 eng and alch are too important for me at the moment and I was going to get LW and Inscrip on the monk.

Anyway thanks for the answers Airo.

Monk Active mitigation isn't like Warrior or Pally tanks where you're sorta pushed to an either or as regards to which one to use, its much more synergistic and the rotation mainly revolves around the correct use of purifying Brew, something you don't have until 75, and won't really see much effect until you're actually tanking something dangerous.

I don't know if the PTR is still up, but if it is you might be able to create level 90s to see how they play nearter endgame before boosting whatever you decide on.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

+ Reply to Thread