+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dealing with threat?

Dealing with threat?

Ive played WoW for a while as a priest healer and a mage.
    I did once before try tanking with a Prot Pally and some days went well other days not so well. (specially by the time i levelled to Blackrock!! getting lost was a problem :/)
    my problem seems to be when a high dealing DPS takes threat... doesn't always happen but when it does its not good! leading to a possible death for them, and definately abuse for me

I tried addons like Omen but when i see someone has threat... how the hell do you know where they are!!
    i can't see them to help
    and in all honesty spinning around looking takes my attention from the mobs i do have threat on.

A friend mentioned pitbull frames, i installed it for about 10 minuted... wayyy too complicated for me to even set up!!
    This has put me off tidy plates and other addons that take a PHD in computer science to setup correctly lol

Ive started another Prot pally with looms, and i know early dungeons will be easy... but i want to get the advice and/or addons now, so im used to them by the time im in high level instances/raids.

Basically i just want to be a good tank like everyone else
    Any advice you have would be greatly received

I HIGHLY recommend the add-on "tidy plates" with the threat plates add-on. Also having taunt bound to a quick key is often crucial. I personally use caps lock as my taunt key. It does mean I randomly accidentally yell at people in all caps, but I think it just adds hilarity.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I have one of the thumb buttons on my mouse set to taunt (the other is bound to Arcane Torrent).

Tidy Plates with the Threat Plates plugin requires almost zero configuration. I use Clique to add "click to cast" support to my party/raid frame; very useful for hand of protection, hand of salvation etc.

in addition If you tunr on the default raid frames and set it to use raid frames even in 5 mans you can also see who has aggro as they have a red outline to their health frame.

Taunt is 2 for me.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

@Aggathon & Fetzie
    Forgive me for sounding totally noob, but what does tidy plates actually do?
    As daft as it sounds i like the way my UI looks, so does TP serve another purpose other than just visual?

@Tengenstein
    That could work.... combine your idea with Fetzie's mouse button. i could use raid frames and mouse click Reckoning on the person with threat possibly?

Either that i try this Clique addon

Tidyplates with the threat plates plugin colours the name-plate of each enemy according to the threat status of the mob on you. Green for "it has aggro on you", orange for "losing aggro" and red for "it is running around hitting the healer".

Reckoning has to be cast on an enemy.

TP also can shrink the nameplates of stuff you have aggro on and enlarge the ones you don't, making it really obvious what you have and what ones are beating on someone else.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

lol @ "it is running around hitting the healer"
    I was thinking of the target of the target with Reckoning.

I like the idea of the coloured bars though in tidy plates, think ill go with a combination of Tidy plates and threat plates with Clique too
    Using raid frames even in 5 man.
    That should give me threat control and a chance to help any party members in trouble with quick cast spells.
    I will implement these things now at low level so it becomes like a reflex to use at 90

Thanks guys

I was thinking of the target of the target with Reckoning.
    That only works when the player is targeting the mob that is chasing them. Which is often not the case, and then you'd end up taunting something that is already attacking you, putting Reckoning on an 8 second cooldown while the untanked enemy runs around killing people.

ahh yes good point.
    Which is exactly why we dont use Taunt Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUK View Post
    ahh yes good point.
    Which is exactly why we dont use Taunt Master
    Yep.

OK sorry for bumping this thread... but its kinda related.
    Ive got a system in place for the above question using a UI and i have Clique added.

I now want a quick way to grab aggro, using Clique or a macro, i was gonna post a screenshot which it explains better but i dont have the privilege lol
    So ill try and explain...
    When you are looking at the mobs, the bars above the heads (frames/units/plates) whatever you call em... is it possible to click them to cast a spell?
    instead of clicking them to target, then clicking Reckoning for example?
    Can i do it with one click?
    At the moment clique lets me click the party frames only.

nevermind... i added

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=mouseover,exists] Reckoning; Reckoning

To a spare mouse button, seems to work fine

Sounds like your issue is with trash packs. Don't use Focused Shield, let your shield hit multiple mobs, drop your Consecretion and then Hammer of the Righteous, you should have mobs glued to you at that point; but you need to hit them first. The issue these days is more about aggro then threat. Dps running around aoe'ing packs of trash is a way of life now and they'll grab initial aggro, you just need to be out in front and hit first. Really, it's not you, it's them; they'll blame you because a) they're jerks and b) they have no understanding of aggro v. threat.

The basic idiocy of dps and the utter rudeness is one of the main reasons I rarely tank random dungeons or lfr.

It doesn't help that multi-target vengeance DR made getting threat/keeping aggro on multiple mobs a little less faceroll. So TLDR: know which mob is going to hit you hardest, and keep it targeted when possible. (if you absolutely need to interrupt something that obviously takes precedent since you can't hold threat dead)
    Really, I don't know a lot about hunters and the only good advice I can give is: TURN PET TAUNT OFF! ~Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread