+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some DPS Criticism

Some DPS Criticism

Greetings,

One of my Raiders plays a Survival Hunter and is curious how his performance is. I've made some passes on his logs and I don't really see much in the area of improvement for him. He's currently our only raider pushing upwards of 300k on some fights, we abuse the hell out of him for raid mechanics and he handles it all flawlessly, but really, I don't play a hunter. Any Pro Hunters out there can give my guy a fair look at what he's doing and anything he could be or should be doing better?

Thanks!

Yuntok Log (this past week): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s...ff/details/11/
    Yuntok Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...untok/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by chaoswhite View Post
    Greetings,

He's currently our only raider pushing upwards of 300k on some fights,
    300K single target at 563 ilvl? Do you mean 100k?

300k dps is about right for 563 ilevel, especially hunters.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

If you go to your guilds WoWprogress page you can view the sim'd dps of the people in your guild along with their iLvL and all that other crap down where it lists the Roster at the bottom of the page.
    I think they run a somewhat low iteration Sim with all of the players gear plugged in whenever their personal page gets updated, I would expect with full raid buffs/optimal food buff/flask, single-target, zero movement, ect.

But regardless, gives you a rough idea of the numbers your raiders should be spitting out without having to personally sim all of them yourself.

For a guild of your progression I'd say having DPS that can get within the ballpark of 85% of their Sim is probably "adequate". Depends on how much emphasis you as a raidleader want to put on your raiders preforming to the best of their ability. And keep in mind not all raid bosses allow for a 100% activity uptime on DPS'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    300k dps is about right for 563 ilevel, especially hunters.
    That seemed high to me, but looking at our logs our hunter who is 570 is in that neighborhood depending on the fight - hasn't looked at the logs in a long time. I'm kind of surprised, guess I need to pay attention to more than just healing.

Here's noxxic's DPS rankings for "realistic" dps at 553: http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/realistic#553

notice that the Survival hunter is just a gnat's ass hair under 300k... at 553. 300k dps for a 563 hunter should be doable. Going to have Pallie look at the logs (since his main is a hunter).

Really, I don't know a lot about hunters and the only good advice I can give is: TURN PET TAUNT OFF!!!!!!!
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Let me be clear, these are VERY minor criticisms. Overall, your hunter is doing great for your raid and their ilvl. If there is a particular fight you are concerned about, let me know and I can go into more specifics but for now I'm looking at some of the more "stand and pew pew" fights for checking out dps.

From that log, I look first at the Sha of Pride kill.

Overal dps uptime is 99.7% near perfect.
    Overall fight dps: 280k. Recognize they were picked for Gift of the Titans twice in the whole fight.
    Serpent Sting (SS) uptime 94%, looks great
    Black Arrow (BA) uptime 63%, area for improvement. With the AoC trinket he has which reduces CDs on everything, BA should be equivalent uptime to SS, 95-99%.
    LifeBlood usage: 1 time used. Its a minor haste buff CD which isn't all that awesome, but might as well use it if you have it. Could've used it at least 3 times.
    Rapid Fire CD usage: It feels like they missed at least once more where they could've used it. They didn't use it during lust (which is correct) but it definitely should've been off CD at the end of lust
    Glaive Toss usage: 16 in a 5:07 fight. Ideal usages would be 20 so a slight room for improvement here to prioritize that shot if its ready and nothing else important is going on (maybe about to lose a LnL proc, refresh BA, etc.).
    Murder of Crows usage: Number of hits from it is 80...I don't know how to interpret that yet, sorry. But hopefully that comes out to be 2 usages, 3 could've happened given the CD
    Pot Usage: I don't see any Agi pots used, no prepot or during the fight usage. Depends on your level of "hardcoreness" but Potions are a pretty nice chunk of extra damage especially during high CD usage time. Up to you if you want to start requiring your raid to do so. Out of your dps, Smitey, Sorvynia, used 2 pots, Shampoou and Yuntok didn't at all, Aratariella used 1 pot.
    Dire Beast Usage: 9 times over the course of 5:07. Good, could've squeezed one more in. Small gap is noticable on the chart where they might have spaced on it.

Iron Juggernaut kill
    Overal dps uptime is 98.8% near perfect again.
    Overall fight dps: 234k. This is probably the truest measurement of their single target dps, so watch this one per week.
    Serpent Sting (SS) uptime 80.1%%, room for improvement! Don't let it fall off. They either need to reapply, or weave in Cobra shots to refresh it automatically (ideal).
    Black Arrow (BA) uptime 88.4%%, overall good. Could be closer to 95% as mentioned above.
    LifeBlood usage: 2 times used. Its a minor haste buff CD which isn't all that awesome, but might as well use it if you have it. Could've used it at least 3 times.
    Rapid Fire CD usage: Used it 5 times which is the max I believe, but used one of them during lust which is not ideal. Again, minor criticism
    Glaive Toss usage: 14 in a 5:50 fight. Ideal usages would be 23. There is a LARGE gap where they didn't use this ability for about a full minute. If something like this is something they regularly forget, they might want to use something like Weakauras that will yell at them to press dat button.
    Murder of Crows usage: Number of hits from it is 100...I don't know how to interpret that yet, sorry. Maybe its 20 hits per usage? So they used it 5 times. I'll try to clarify that. Seems good usage to me.
    Pot Usage: 2 pots used, good!
    Dire Beast Usage: 9 times over the course of 5:50. There seems to be a gap where they forgot about for a bit. Could've been close to 11, maybe 12 times used.

Again, these are minor things to look through. If they want a little tutorial on how to look at World of Logs and analyze their stuff as a hunter, I did a "Deep Dive" episode on Over Raided a bit ago. Shows me failing to dps Garrosh and then looking at the logs to pull out info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJivN8jHj0 Its long, cuz I'm windy like that. But about midway is where I finish watching the raid footage and dig into the logs.

Edit: Oh and if you or they want to chat about this and that talent or CD usage or anything I had in here, feel free to hit me up on a PM and we can exchange Bnet IDs to talk further.
    Last edited by Pallie; 02-04-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Thank you all very much for the insight. This information will be most helpful to him as we're in the midst of progression for our first normal mode Garrosh kill. I'll also pass along the information about Bnet, but just knowing this may be enough. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Really, I don't know a lot about hunters and the only good advice I can give is: TURN PET TAUNT OFF!!!!!!!
    nuff said

+ Reply to Thread