+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time Prot in 5ish years, shield slammed by reality

First time Prot in 5ish years, shield slammed by reality

Alright Tankspot, it's been ages since I've tanked anything worth note. I've been bouncing around a ton of resources when it comes to prot warriors and I'm having a bitch of a time on Thok on Normal 10 mans. I don't know what to do to stop taking outrageous amounts of damage and I need some advice or painful criticism if it's me, I can fix that I just need to know where to start.

Here's a link to my armory page:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...block/advanced

I was essentially trying to go for an avoidance build because it's conceptually cool and I like the idea of that. I don't know that it's the best possible build, or what else I should try, I'm open to any educated or experienced suggestions.

Help me Tankspot!

I usually chain cooldowns, not much else to use them all for on that fight.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Meta's wrong, use the Eternal. What's your shield block uptime like?

Avoidance Builds take more damage than mastery builds, and can be less forgiving on challenging content, especially since you have neither the LMG nor the Cloak both of which add ridiculous survivability.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 01-29-2014 at 05:14 AM.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Use the eternal what?

Shield block uptime is basically whenever it's up I can use it, the rage generation isn't really a problem it's the, hits me for 400,000 damage thing :/

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndershade View Post
    Use the eternal what?

Shield block uptime is basically whenever it's up I can use it, the rage generation isn't really a problem it's the, hits me for 400,000 damage thing :/
    Eternal Primal Diamond: http://www.wowhead.com/item=76896
    Also read through this if you haven't already: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Warrior-Guide

Do you have any logs of your Thok death? What phase are you specifically getting hit for a lot in? I'd probably guess cooldown usage is an issue. If shield block isn't up (and can't be) you should use shield barrier.

Also, based on your reforges you probably don't need to be gemming expertise any more and your dodge is already pretty high for dodge. While the % may not be the same the DR difference is fairly dramatic. You could probably go down to like 12% dodge and up to 36-38% parry. Parry is what makes you hit hard as prot, not dodge, it's better and getting the exact right balance between parry and dodge is frankly a waste of time, just go straight parry for damage if you want to go the avoidance build (hitting good socket bonuses obviously).

New trinkets would definitely help. I'd recommend using your coins on Fallen Protectors and Malkorok. (regardless of which build, most prot wars still go with stam trinkets).

How far along are you on the legendary quest?
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Thanks Aggathon I looked through the warrior guide for sure, the phase I'm getting reamed in is the tank swap where he's AA'ing me for a metric ton of damage. I'm on titan runestones portion of legendary quest. And I coin like a bastard on Malkorok every week I just am having the worst luck in the world in the trinket department :/

Parry / Dodge balance is a good thing to note, it does seem like needing to forge it right is out the window and I should just parry like hell. I'll try this setup and see how it goes, thanks again!

In normal mode our guild always single tanked it, so I really have no concept of where the tank swap should be and I DPS for most of the heroic bosses. If you could post a log perhaps we could help you better. If you're taunting off of the other tank, I highly recommend already having a shield block or at least a shield bar up before you even taunt and calling it out on vent so healers have time to switch over to you. I've never really noticed lethal auto attack damage on Thok... are you accidentally getting chomped? Are you talking about when the add enrages? You can disarm the add, that certainly helps.

Oh and if you're on titan runestones you should be able to get the legendary meta gem, use that, it's easily the best. The buff gives you 20% damage reduction on a proc. Quite nice!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

If you have 4+ stacks of the tank debuff from Phase 1, you are running around with hardly any armour.

If you two tank Thok, you swap at 2 stacks in all phases except frost, when you swap at 4.

You should always be stacking up 120 Rage before a taunt.

You should also try and figure out what a decent starting 'rotation' would be.
    As a general idea, my taunt swaps on hard hitting bosses go something like this:
    This is mostly alt raids and PuGs with a Mastery build, so I tend to not trust my healers as much, adjust to your comfort!

Prep: 120 Rage, full CDs ready
    0. Say on Mumble I'm going taunt if it's available (so healers are already casting heals on him as he taunts)
    1. Demo Shout + Shield Block + Taunt
    2. Shield Slam + situational: second Shield Block (extends duration with 6s)
    3. normal rotation

For max DPS you can delay Shield Slam till after the first hit. The best alternative would be Revenge.
    If there is a high amount of AoE burst going out as well, like on Thok's higher stack Shouts, keep the Rage untill you get your initial Vengeance, then Barrier for the instant healing buffer.

Reasoning:
    *Initial Demo Shout & Shield Block will reduce the maximum incoming damage
    *The second Block I pop guarantees me enough time to build up Vengeance for the intermittent Shield Barriers and that I don't blow too much Rage at the start on weaker Barriers, eating Rage I need later for SB. (Mostly a Mastery build issue though)
    *If it a pure tank damage phase, your first hit will suck in damage compared to high Vengeance, so Revenge pure for the Rage and with an avoidance build it should be back up pretty fast after Shield Slam anyway.
    *In high AoE fights, healers need to balance tank and raid healing, which means you won't instantly have all the HoTs rolling on you. Keeping that initial Shield Barrier as reserve will make sure you don't drop too low, forcing a healer to let a DPS to die to spamheal you. Best case scenario, you just SB at 6 seconds, worst case, you absorbs most of the second hit in a string that would otherwise be a danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

+ Reply to Thread