• Warrior

15 57.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tank Advantage/Disadvantage

Love Warrior
    The Classic Gamer
    Writer, Owner, and Inventory Manager

I carry so much inherent butthurt as a prot warrior when tanking with my blood DK buddy. His dps is usually at least 70k ahead of mine, he takes less healing and just
    ugh
    His threat is so much better. His aoe is better. His everything is better. The ONLY upside for me is I feel like I have more raid-friendly CDs and I am more mobile than he is, especially because I'm an engineer with rocket boots.

QQ someone hug me
    BAENHOOF
    Tauren Warrior

Well that probably has something to do with your gemming and stat priorities. You should get an addon called "reforge lite" it will basically make sure you hit caps for you so you don't have to do any calculations. You are currently WAY over hit cap, so some of that hit could be reforged.

You also don't appear to be "going" for any particular stat. At your progression level I would suggest (after hit/exp caps) going straight parry. Definitely get rid of those stam gems.

Helm - go Parry/Stam
    Shoulders - 2x flashing (parry) gems
    Cloak - Parry
    Chest - 3x parry gems
    bracers - parry
    Gloves - 3x parry gems
    Belt - 3x parry gems
    Legs - this one is kind of a toss up, these days I'd actually lean towards 2x parry/crit gems or parry/dodge, but you have enough ilevel you can probably just ignore the stam socket bonus and just go 2x straight parry here again.
    Rings - parry in both
    Feet - parry

Then configure reforge lite to hit your hit/exp caps then have parry be the next highest priority, then dodge, then mastery.

If you are dying a lot with this and don't have a lot of survivability, then re-do your gear and go mastery (after hit/expertise caps). I'm my experience though unless you're vastly undergeared for the content you're doing, you don't get to a boss that requires this until about H-Siegecrafter25 man.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Consider reading my guide. Damage taken is a really bad metric for measuring tanks, I know it's sorta the only tanky metric included in the default recount/skada packages, but it's still a really bad metric tanks don't slowly fall over across the length of the fight (and if they do it's a healing issue). Tanks die to spike damage, the points where they take their entire healthpool in damage over just a few seconds; the points where you RL, or healers, or you, go "bugger what killed the tank" and its usually a combination of things like getting hit by a borer drill, the 3rd stack of flame vents, a laser burn, a melee to the face, and a buzz saw within 2 seconds.

Things you might want to change:
    • Get hit and expertise capped. Not under ever, and as little over as you can manage without being under. Gem, reforge, whatever.
    • That achieved, Gem for either Mastery (for extreme survivability) or Parry (for whenever you aren't dying every 5 minutes). Stamina gems are for when you undergear things. With your ilvl you only under gear t17 and that isn't even in beta yet.
    • Glyph Heavy repercussions and keep Shield block on recharge. Sblock is the core of Prot warrior active mitigation, not using it is doing it wrong. GoHR makes doing it right a substantial DPS increase.
    • Keep SS on CD. the only reason to not put SS on CD is because you don't want your target to die, or you want to die yourself. on any non gimmick singel target fight SS should be your top damage ability by a large amount and should be number 4 on any AoE fight.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

GET OUTTA MY HEAD TENG!!!

But yes, what he said. ^^^^
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

My timing is amazing.
    I decided I'd do an LFR before bed to try and get Galakras to drop a ring (any ring, please, omg. I had Durumu's Severed Tentacle still. STILL.) and finally got the stupid thing to drop. It's not 553 or even 540, but it's something.
    You guys caught me in the middle of rebalancing my reforging. That's why my hit/exp are terrible.

I haven't tried reforge lite yet, but Mr Robot works well enough. Doesn't it?
    I had set up my stat weighting for mastery over avoidance but my focus on stam was a little (read: a lot) too high, yes. I'm apparently still in Cata mode where ermagherd CTC cap = STAMINAS GO GO (yes I know ctc isn't quite a thing anymore, don't worry)
    It's not even a case of dying too often, or really at all. My buttonmash is pretty much spot on from what you've outlined.
    I like the idea of more revenge procs, even if I'm already spamming them at times, but with DR on 34% I'm a little wary of stacking that over mastery, even without doing heroics.

I'll play with the weighting and see what I can get. Thanks :>
    BAENHOOF
    Tauren Warrior

Diminishing returns on parry is there to counter the fact that as you stack avoidance percentage is there because the mean damage reduction going from 10% to 20% Parry is a lot smaller (5% less damage taken) than going from 80% to 90% (50%less damage taken). The reason it's lighter on parry is because they expect us to get parry % for sources other than rating. this also the reason there are diminishing returns on armor.

you have the cloak and the meta. you should be fine to go full avoidance.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

+ Reply to Thread