• Paladin

5 17.86%
  • Warrior

17 60.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank Advantage/Disadvantage

Tank Advantage/Disadvantage

So I been playing a pally tank for awhile now. It feels a little underwhelming though. Thinking about switching once the new expansion hits. Is there a decent guide to the advantages and disadvantages or all the tanks? What each of them excels and fails at. A look at different abilities that makes them better or worse than the others?

Once the expansion hits all current experience is thrown out the window.
    The different tanks have pretty different playstyles now, picking the playstyle that suits you the best is the best choice to make. You'll do the best and have the most fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

There's a really similar Poll, one thread down (and tankspot regulars are predominantly warriors so the poll results won't provide any real sort of insight).

TBH in SoO tank balance is closest it's ever been, no tank really fails at any thing, and each has quite a few places to use the more niche parts of their toolboxes, more so than any other Raid. Furthermore, just because one tank class feels bleh now, does not mean it will feel the same next expansion, especially so with the changes to gear itemisation, warriors and DKs are liable to get some major mechanic changes to make up for the lack of Parry and dodge on gear.

A quick and dirty guide to tanks
    Monks: New age bastards. Huge toolbox, missing traditional defensive kit, difficult to play right, punishing to play badly, highly mobile, almost no procs.
    DK: Gloomy Emo bastards: Toolbox has lots of control, least mobile Tank, difficult to play right, not particularly Twitchy. least raid utility. Excellent soloing capability. Active mitigation is highly reactive.
    Paladins: Pretty boy bastards: possibly the most powerful active mitigation, not particularly twitchy, scales very well with AP, very weak at end game solo-content. Excellent defensive Raid utility
    Bears: Stinking hippy bastards. Fairly Proccy rotation, Highly customizable toolbox, potentially unreliable active mitigation
    Warriors: grumpy bastard bastards. Arguable the most mobile, Large toolbox, excellent offensive raid utility, extremely proccy rotation, only tank with 1.5s GCD, defensively forgiving, active mitigation is entirely proactive. Also Bastards.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Thanks Teng, thats pretty much what I was wondering. Martie, the poll wasnt really based on what I said, just wondering the opinions out there on what they liked.

The tank classes are pretty homogenized and only getting worse. With the exception of a few flavor abilities that do not effect game play in any relevant manner you can set your keybinds up and play them almost identically with the only difference being the name that happens to be assigned to your (active mitigation) button, or your (this ability applies a debuff to the target) button.

Lawful good does not always mean Lawful nice

On the trivial conent yes, but even if you play a Monk like a warrior, who have perhaps the most homgemized of toolboxes, you'll go splat in short order
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    On the trivial conent yes, but even if you play a Monk like a warrior, who have perhaps the most homgemized of toolboxes, you'll go splat in short order
    This probably explains why most monks I heal in LFR are so terrible, but every now and then I get one that just wouldn't die if you tried to kill them.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I'd put that down to the fact most tanks in LFR don't use any active mitigations.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Re: Tank Advantage/Disadvantage

I'd put that down to the fact most tanks in LFR don't use any active mitigations.
    Half of them don't realize they're tanking. I tanked the first 4 solo the other day. Gouge + Vengeful Strikes is hilariously unfun.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadski View Post
    Half of them don't realize they're tanking. I tanked the first 4 solo the other day. Gouge + Vengeful Strikes is hilariously unfun.
    I do that on normal because vengeance is awesome! There are a couple ways to do it..
    1. is to just let He go nuts on you back the whole time. (not recomended)
    2. always turn your back just before the Vengeful Strikes in case you happen to get gouged while stunned
    3. just watch the cd's incredibly carefully (most effort, best chance of surviving)
    I always have He on focus with a huge cast bar though, that's a must.

Between my pally and my DK, both about the same ilvl (550ish); the DK just feels sturdier and puts up some nice dps numbers. DS + Vengence + 235% Mastery = ungodly bubbles. Vengeful Strikes absorb, absorb, absord, absord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Between my pally and my DK, both about the same ilvl (550ish); the DK just feels sturdier and puts up some nice dps numbers. DS + Vengence + 235% Mastery = ungodly bubbles. Vengeful Strikes absorb, absorb, absord, absord.....
    Sometimes Eternal Flame completely counteracts it? ....................I miss Sacred Shield being really good

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Sometimes Eternal Flame completely counteracts it? ....................I miss Sacred Shield being really good
    I do more healing to myself than the healers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    I do more healing to myself than the healers do.
    Most of the time this is the case with about a 60:40 ratio. I was in an lfr Garrosh, I think, where the healers were clipping my Eternal Flames and somehow I ended up number 1 overhealing done and 7'th on the actual healing meter. I was not amused.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    I was in an lfr. I was not amused.
    Fixt.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Fixt.
    Well done, sir.

For tanking I use Eternal Flame, when I get to tank, but for healing I switched from Eternal Flame to Sacred Shield and Sacred Sheild as Holy is very nice; if I time it right I can get 5 rolling at once. That said, I do miss it as a tank.

Its not that much worse, unless you have the 4 piece t16.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Ok. Someone needs to give the bear some love here. While I respect all tanks and have on occasion seen monks that were bullet proof and DKs that out healed me (while on my mistweaver) and out dpsed me as well, the bear is, IMO, one of the easiest tanks to play.

Withe SD resulting in great avoidance, especially if well timed, and FR allowing for as needed heals plus bark skin to add a bit to durability, I believe when played well the Bear matches up nicely with any other tank.
    Some unsolicited thoughts.

1. Brewmaster are easy to suck at, hard to be decent at and require a type A person to master. Once mastered though, they are amazing tanks if paired with decent heals.
    2. Pallies are similar to BM, in that they are easy to play poorly, but with more self heals and damage imitation tools truly OP when mastered.
    3. Warrior. I love them! Just really started working on mine though my only gripe is that with no purification tools, and limited heals outside of just after killing a mob they are the best tank for power heroics or paired with a good healer but if the healer goes down, they don't seem to have enough oh sh*t buttons (not that they have none). The best warriors I have seen are simply the best tanks there are.
    4. DK. Not much to say. They have crazy self heals and can rip dps but not as mobile as the others
    5. Easy to play at a moderate level, as they don't require procs to play. Now playing them well, like all classes requires understanding and utilizing CDs. I just find they are less CD dependent.

One last thought - The obvious - seems like most new content requires true tank mastery to only be achieved in concert with understanding boss mechanics.

I am proud to be among the few that take on this roll and love to watch you amazing tanks at work!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Irondaddy View Post
    Ok. Someone needs to give the bear some love here.
    But.... when I try to hug bears I always get claw marks on my back......
    Really, I don't know a lot about hunters and the only good advice I can give is: TURN PET TAUNT OFF! ~Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread