+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot paladin problems?!

Prot paladin problems?!

First time poster so here goes:

I'm a prot pala tank http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...gepally/simple progressing (as of tonight) on siegecrafter heroic. I've been having what I think are dps and damage problems.
    Obviously we've gotten this far so I'm not doing a completely shoddy job but I somehow think I should be doing more damage and taking less damage. My warrior co-tank is almost always taking miles less damage than me and doing about the same, if not more, damage than me. Now this is of course balanced by the healing I do but I still think the gap shouldn't be as large as it sometimes is.

Here are some WOL records http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/198913/ don't bother looking at Saturday raids.

Just to cover all bases my rotation is the standard CS > J > X
    Where X is AS > LH > HoW > Cons > HW (I'm a bit conflicted about this since builds seem to differ from site to site). Often LH is used for raid utily.

As I understand it my best dps glyphs in order are: focused shield > word of glory > alabaster shield for single target with focused shield being a non-contender on multi-target fights. Then swap divine shield in whenever needed. To boost damage that little bit more I also pop EF 5-stacks as often as possible (if there's isn't a healing drop) for the glyphed damage buff.

Anyway hope someone can help

Thanks in advance!!

Not hit capped, Not expertise capped. Windsong Beats Dancing Steel, and you're not using AW nigh on CD. I'm not too familiar with the whole EF for damage thing, but it seems a bit backwards your ShotR is hititng for 170k non crit with a 7% crit chance so if i have my maths right you'd have to pulling just above 300K DPS to be worth giving up a 170k ShotR for the damage buff. No, i think the purpose of that glyph is to mitigate the DPS loss of having to spend your HP on EF rather than making EF preferable to SHotR for DPS. so stop doing that, stick to keeping EF rolling Dumping HP with ShotR and otherwise using EF as an emergency heal.

YOur essentially sacraficing DPS and Mitigation to maintain a DPS loss.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 11-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

In terms of not being capped. I'm close enough that the chance of missing/being parried is ridiculously small, 0.05% and 0.04% so that shouldn't be making any noticeable difference.
    I'll definitely change to Windsong then!
    The idea behind using EF to up my damage is when I'm on 3 or more stacks of bastion of glory (because of my set bonus) I can pop EF without using any holy power. So essentially wait till 5 stacks, if I have a decent amount of vengeance/no EF up pop the heal. Dunno if I made that clear.

And thanks for the quick reply !

oh well in that case you could probably stand to use it much more often.
    MoP RPS Calculator

You could also use Divine Protection more often.

Paladins take more damage than warriors. That is pretty much a given. I don't have the T16 4p bonus, so haven't played with glyph of word of glory yet, but it is played in conjunction with Divine Purpose, not Holy Avenger, in order to fish for free ShoR casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    You could also use Divine Protection more often.

Paladins take more damage than warriors. That is pretty much a given. I don't have the T16 4p bonus, so haven't played with glyph of word of glory yet, but it is played in conjunction with Divine Purpose, not Holy Avenger, in order to fish for free ShoR casts.
    Why is glyph of WoG only good with Divine Purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Valaras View Post
    Why is glyph of WoG only good with Divine Purpose?
    It isn't that it is bad without DP, it is that you can use the EF/WoG casts that cost no holy power to proc DP to give you a free ShoR.

Because you get BoP you dump it with EF, get the 9% damage increase, proc DP for a free ShotR, which may proc another, and another, and another...
    MoP RPS Calculator

Still, not a single fight where tank damage is significant that DP is worth it over HA which basically makes you immune for like a minute or so in my opinion.

If the tank damage is significant (as in heroic blackfuse/paragons/garrosh level where the boss is melee-ing you for 800+k) then you pair the T15 4p bonus with the cooldown reduction trinket and effectively get Holy Avenger every 20-25 seconds

And you can cover yourself even more with holy avenger if need be. I use Holy Avenger or Sanctified Wrath for progress bosses (depending on how the damage intake is timed, that 20% more healing taken can be quite potent however it does have 30 seconds longer cooldown) and Divine Purpose for bosses that I know can't kill me any way.

I have been quite enjoying DP. Honestly the incoming tank damage for siegecrafter isn't that bad given that my EF is ticking wonderfully and I only drop low when he enrages in which case there are always CDs to use. But then our guild isn't going to high stacks of the tank debuff. But yeah back to DP, honestly HA is very fight specific. And there's lots of fights where the 40% CD for 20 - 25 seconds is a godsend but my go to now really is DP.

+ Reply to Thread