View Poll Results: optimal tank class in MoP?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Warrior

6 54.55%
  • Paladin

2 18.18%
  • Death Knight

1 9.09%
  • Druid

2 18.18%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: optimal tank class in MoP?

optimal tank class in MoP?

Hey, foks.

I've been playing WoW since vanilla, primarily as a tank. I've got a warrior, paladin, druid and a DK that are all at 85.

I stopped playing mid-Cataclysm, and I'm wondering which one would be optimal for raiding in MoP.

I'm planning on having to deal with a lot of retards in LFR, and maybe a few in my guild as well.

Thanks in advance!

"Paladin!", said Fetzie.

"Warrior!", said Aggathon.

"Bear!", said no one.

"Death Knight!", said everyone under the age of 16 and maybe Tengenstein.

The Brewmasters were last seen walking by the thread very slowly, middle fingers up.

That's Bovinity. Pay no attention to him.
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

I think it heavily depends on your preferred playstyle.
    All tanks are good when played well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Hah i'd like to see a DK Take all 3 mines on Juggs faster than a warrior, I'd like to see a DK spell reflect Froststorm Bolt, i'd like to see a warrior have a raid CD for every whirling corruption, i'd like to see a DK Disarm Thok's jailors.

Actually, no i wouldn't, hand off my tool box you filthy person with out a shield.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Hah i'd like to see a DK Take all 3 mines on Juggs faster than a warrior, I'd like to see a DK spell reflect Froststorm Bolt, i'd like to see a warrior have a raid CD for every whirling corruption, i'd like to see a DK Disarm Thok's jailors.

Actually, no i wouldn't, hand off my tool box you filthy person with out a shield.
    Warriors can also disarm Haromm

Paladins can solo-tank the Blood Rage phases on Malkorok. They can solo-tank Thok (at least on ten man and 10H) which drastically reduces the required dps from everybody else in the raid. They can bubble off the damage increase debuffs on Paragons. They have the most potent active mitigation in the game when used correctly and extremely strong self-heals.

Friendly non-mod caution: Keep in mind that this kind of thread can get to the point where it gets locked very quickly.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 11-28-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Bah paladins and your Foo foo magic. I see your best played right active mitigation and raise you Ease of use and nigh idiot proof active mitigation and superior passive mitigation.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Paladins can solo-tank the Blood Rage phases on Malkorok. They can solo-tank Thok (at least on ten man and 10H) which drastically reduces the required dps from everybody else in the raid.
    Pssshhh Warriors can do these things.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    "Paladin!", said Fetzie.

"Warrior!", said Aggathon.

"Bear!", said no one.

"Death Knight!", said everyone under the age of 16 and maybe Tengenstein.

The Brewmasters were last seen walking by the thread very slowly, middle fingers up.
    Also, LOL at this, best post in a while.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

<grins> I'm going to abstain from voting on this one, because the most optimal class is the one you feel most comfortable with playing, and what you want to get out of the class. I've been in way too many debates as to why one class is better than another, and the reverse, why one class is squishier than the other.

Clearly warriors are the best at everything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I know this isn't serious, but I'll use it to make a point.

- DKs can't do the mines as fast as warriors, but they can death strike the mine to soak a chunk of the damage, with a pre-stacked blood shield often making for no actual damage taken.
    - DKs can dark simulacrum the frost storm bolt and use AMS to reduce the damage and translate it into runic power for more damage. DKs also totally rule at handling the blobby slimes with a combination of glyphed death and decay + chillblains.
    - DKs can't disarm the Jailors, but they can pretty much self heal/shield through their damage anyway so why bother.
    - You got me on the raid CDs tho... buff DKs!

The point being that every tank class has advantages, and a good player will look to make the most of those. But you knew that

I think the question is wrong. It should probably read 'what is the right class to level and raid LFR with in the last few months of the expansion', which is probably not the same definition of 'best' that most people probably assumed. The answer is probably still 'whichever you prefer and think you play best'.

Damn you Swelt and your logical arguments. I see you GoDnD and chillblains and raise you Shockwave and Piercing Howl!

I've played most Tanks this expansion (part from bears) at a minimum of flex, and Tanks are very balanced this tier. There are quite a few places where a particular tank's toolbox shines. I think this is great, the first time i did Juggs without my warrior, i did have to think how i would do the mines without charge, and that maybe i would have to pay attention to each mines timer when planning a route. Beign able to dispel the poisons on Thok and Blackfuse's trash as a pally is really neat for keeping DPS alive, and the monks CDs are retarded for dealing with whirling corruption.

As for DK buffs; Bah! You guys probably provide the greatest raid healing of the tanks now, and bring a battle rez, and then there;s Gorefiend's Grasp.
    MoP RPS Calculator

We can Barrier the mine damage as well. Coupled with 2p T16 it's pretty nice, plus charge grants some rage so we can barrier again. The shit with Dark Shamans though, that's really nice.
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

As for DK buffs; Bah! You guys probably provide the greatest raid healing of the tanks now, and bring a battle rez, and then there;s Gorefiend's Grasp.
    If you're referring to bloodworms, 95% overhealing says hi.

Rallying cry has expired, DROP ALL THE HEALTHPOOLS!
    MoP RPS Calculator

Rallying cry has expired, DROP ALL THE HEALTHPOOLS!
    Actually, what happens if RC expires and somebody has less than 30% life?

Paladins! Because being on top of the Healing and DPS meter on a single boss fight (let alone a few) is priceless!
    (Not an actual reason other than my E-Peen is much bigger than yours!)

But on a serious note, I will say what I have said every time this question comes up: Every tank class is capable of tanking every raid boss. Sure there are a few niche fights for certain classes where they just excel stupidly (ie pallies on Malkorok).
    But for the most part it really shouldn't make a difference unless you happen to be in a top .5% progression guild where every ounce of situational advantage can make or break a kill, but since H-Garrosh has a .55% death rate, that argument is invalid!
    The only time I personally would give it ANY amount of consideration past "What do you enjoy playing more!?!?!?", is when you're looking at a raid comp as a whole and considering buffs, raid cd's and loot distribution.

So, to the OP, the correct question you should be asking is: Guys, can you give me a basic rundown of your preferred tanking class? Pros/cons?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadski View Post
    The shit with Dark Shamans though, that's really nice.
    Shockwave is pretty great for Dark Shamans... though thinking on it Chillblains is probably better, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Actually, what happens if RC expires and somebody has less than 30% life?
    '
    They lose 30% of whatever life remaining they had, I believe. I worked all this shit out in Cata at some point and the math said it was basically the same as the pally raid wall, but I forget now... I've had a lot to drink since then. Rallying Cry acts kinda funky actually.

+ Reply to Thread