+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computer issues - thinking about starting over

Computer issues - thinking about starting over

So the other night when I hooked back up my DVDRW drive to my power supply, I must have bumped the power cable to my motherboard. It appears to be loose, since nudging it will shut the whole thing off, or if off, turn it back on. In addition, while I was troubleshooting to get it working again, I moved around my RAM. I may have kinda sorta accidentally inserted one of my RAM sticks the wrong direction. Now, my usually 6 GB of RAM is showing up as 4 GB. That, along with the loose connection from the PSU to the Mobo is making me think maybe I should consider buying some new hardware. Here's a list of what I have currently in my machine:

Motherboard: X58E - May have a bad PSU connection, may have a bad RAM slot
    CPU: Core i7 950, 3.04GHz, plenty fast enough for me and still works fine
    Memory: 3 sticks of 2 GB 1600 Corsair RAM, possibly one of the sticks is damaged
    PSU: Corsair 750W, possibly has a bad cable causing the bad connection to the MOBO
    Graphics: Radeon 6870, still good, probably no need to replace
    HDD: 1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM, works fine
    Heat Sink: Whatever the liquid cooling system that came with it when I got it from iBuyPower. Seems to work fine
    Windows 8.1

So if I wanted to replace my motherboard, RAM, and PSU, what's the cheapest reasonable way I could do so that wouldn't cause my performance to suffer? Or is there a better recommendation for me?
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

A few questions when you say "bump IT" what do you mean by "IT"?

It's really hard to put ram in backwards because of how the notches line up, more probable is that it's just not seated properly, all you need to do is seat it again.

Also, those MOLEX connectors to the Mobo are pretty robust, I would imagine that you just need to unplug it and plug it back in. The really surprising thing is that you say if you bump "it" it turns back on, but that shouldn't happen, the only thing that can do that is the power button jumpers on the mobo, to my knowledge.

To me this all still sounds salvageable.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Sounds like you just need to take that RAM stick out, and put it back in again, and unplug the power connectors and plug them back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    A few questions when you say "bump IT" what do you mean by "IT"?
    My PSU cable.

It's really hard to put ram in backwards because of how the notches line up, more probable is that it's just not seated properly, all you need to do is seat it again.

Also, those MOLEX connectors to the Mobo are pretty robust, I would imagine that you just need to unplug it and plug it back in. The really surprising thing is that you say if you bump "it" it turns back on, but that shouldn't happen, the only thing that can do that is the power button jumpers on the mobo, to my knowledge.
    Nope, I most definitely inserted it backwards until the little holding arm popped off. I got it popped back on and inserted the RAM the correct way thereafter, but now my computer is only seeing 4 GB of RAM instead of the previous 6.

To me this all still sounds salvageable.
    Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Sounds like you just need to take that RAM stick out, and put it back in again, and unplug the power connectors and plug them back in.
    I've done that multiple times. The one that was inserted upside down I took out and fixed immediately when I realized my mistake. The PSU cord going into the motherboard I've taken out and put back in multiple times now to see if it was just seated badly. No dice. Every time I bump the cable, the whole machine shuts off until I put the cable back in the right position. If I leave the cable in the wrong position, there are some lights on the Motherboard that will work, and the hard disk will spin up and stop repeatedly, but the computer won't boot and the heatsink fan won't spin. When I nudge it back into place, everything works again until my cat looks at the computer's case wrong or something.

Are the power connectors on the motherboard loose? If yes then there isn't much you can do about them.

What would the budget be for upgrades, should you decide to scrap the system and start new, and which games do you play at which settings? Does the computer need to do anything else, like compute tasks?

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Are the power connectors on the motherboard loose? If yes then there isn't much you can do about them.

What would the budget be for upgrades, should you decide to scrap the system and start new, and which games do you play at which settings? Does the computer need to do anything else, like compute tasks?
    The budget is less than $1400 (if I were replacing the whole system), but I'd prefer $600 or less (just replacing parts).

I play whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. I rarely pick up WoW, but I do fiddle around in other MMOs occasionally like Rift or (when I get in the beta) Wildstar. I play Civ 5, Europa Universalis, Tropico 4, Path of Exile, all the Fallout games, all the Mass Effect games, Batman: Arkham City, League of Legends, Starcraft II, various other things. I generally play all those games at max settings currently. I don't tend to target super high intensity games graphically, but I like the idea of being prepared when a game I do want to play turns out to be a humbler of gaming rigs.

I don't currently do anything else computationally intensive on my computer, but I was thinking about getting Microsoft Office on my home machine, since I anticipate spending a lot more time working extra hours at home in the future. Some of the Excel/VBA tasks can get somewhat computationally/memory intensive at times.

gonna play star citizen?
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    gonna play star citizen?
    I'll probably try it at a minimum.

+ Reply to Thread