+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning Tank Needs Threat Advice

Returning Tank Needs Threat Advice

Hi all,

I've spent the last 2-3 years playing oh so casual on my DK/Druid running LFR as (low) dps due to a variety of reasons however with the timeless isle I decided to dust off my pally and get back to tanking. I was fine during Wrath but now...*gulp*...I'm struggling to hold threat on the bronze/silver proving grounds!

So yesterday I used the mrrobot site to gem, enchant and reforge but I haven't yet looked at reglyphing. To be honest, I figured my glyphs were ok but I'm open to being told otherwise! I also looked at a guide on noxxic and re-talented in line with that but if anything, it feels worse now. I'm rocking Seal of Insight and Blessing of Might.

Anyway: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/azuremyst/Ironoath/simple

If someone could take a look and let me know if there's anything glaringly bad I'm doing it'd be appreciated. Maybe I just need to get used to abilities again. I'm just struggling to go from Lich King tanking to having problems with holding off some simulated bunny wabbits

Thanks!

TBH Threat in proving grounds is probably due to rotation than glyphs, so it might be worth checking out Fetzie's Pally guide here for a more in depth rotational advice. You're not currently hit capped which can only have a negative effect on your threat; and keep in mind that when PGs scale down your gear they do not preserve your hit/exp caps, so you will either have to live with that or use the reforger in there to redo them to meet the caps.

In proving ground you get all the buffs so which blessing you choose is immaterial. I don't think there is ever situation where you don't use SoI as prot so that not really a choice either. Assuming it's only the Vermin that are giving you aggro trouble I wouldn't Glyph Avenging shield, not would I glyph consercration, the former because its an AoE loss, and latter because it makes it harder/slower to use. I generally glyph Divine Protection and Final Wrath, but like i siad Glyph choice shouldn't have that large an affect on aggro.

There are adds in PGs that specifically drop aggro, and if you're accidentally popping Divine Shield or Hand if Protection everything will drop aggro.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Thanks, I figured it might be a rotation issue though I'm (trying) to follow the icy veins rotation. Maybe it's just practice I need *shrugs*
    I dropped out of hit cap when i got a new timeless belt so I'll go fix up that,
    I think I'll drop both glyphs you mentioned too. I was already thinking about consecration as I'm not the quickest when it comes to using it though it'll come in handy for gathering adds I suspect.

Thank you for the response

I don't know what Icy Veins recommends as the optimal ability usage, but here is the optimal ability usage:

Crusader Strike, Judgement, Filler, Crusader Strike, Filler, Judgement, Crusader Strike, Filler, Filler

Then it starts over.

Fillers are:

Avenger's Shield, Level 90 talent, Consecrate, Hammer of Wrath (sub-20%), Holy Wrath, Eternal Flame/Sacred Shield

Depending on your damage intake, either use ShoR at 3 holy power or save up 5 (cast at 5 when not tanking, then when you take over you have 6 seconds of ShoR uptime). I like to use Eternal Flame as the third or fourth holy power consumer, because this gives you enough time to get some vengeance rolling, but doesn't leave you without the buff for too long.

+ Reply to Thread