+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Down 100k - Some reflections on MoP

Down 100k - Some reflections on MoP

So it seems WoW is down to 7.6 million subs, that's a 100k drop. We'll see how future quarters go, but I'm wondering if its hit its population mass. Another words somewhere either side of 7.5 million subs is where the game will hover. The 100k loss is a big improvement over past quarters and seems to indicate new players are coming on board. The peak at 12 million was unsustainable and I don't think they'll ever see 9+ million again, but with some of the new ideas they're implimenting based on new improved tech maybe we'll see a bump.

I think Timeless Isle is a great feature that will get carried forward in a big way and may supplement questing as we know it. I'd love to have more of the click on an object to discover something, like the small chests were; makes the world more interactive and alive. I love in SoO grabbing the chest of flasks before Nazgrim, dungeon crawler stuff is fun. Guess I just like an interactive world.

I think the Tillers was great and what they did with the farm, making it an Inn was a nice touch. I could give a crap about player housing (I think it's a silly idea), but the farm worked out nicely. I do think that they could make the farming a bit less grindy - I have 10 full farms (and three partial) and while I can get a ton of mats, it also takes a good bit of time.

I think they learned their lesson about killing people with dailies, it made the xpac extremely alt unfriendly, even with the rep buff. Molten Front was okay, but to gate an xpac with dailies was overload.

I think all three raiding tiers were outstanding - Ulduar will, IMHO, always be the gold standard, and all three tiers of MoP are right there. My one complaint is it's a bit too linear, I like the ICC/Nax/Ulduar layouts better - a bit linear with some forks in the road. Flex was a welcome addition and LFR is still the underbelly of WoW raiding that serves a purpose, but I don't really feel compelled run it anymore. If I do it, I do it, if not eh.

I'd like to see them do something with professions to make them really relevant. I don't know that I'm sold on the "make the rare cloth, bar, leather, and learn a pattern", concept.

The legendary quest was pretty good, I don't have an issue with everyone willing to put in the time and do the basic work getting a legendary; what I don't like is that breeds a player mentality that the legendary becomes the gate to raiding. That's a player issue not a Blizz issue, unless Blizz changes it to if you get the legendary on one toon, you can buy it on your alts - but that's over kill.

I don't like the LFR/Flex loot system. Guess I like to see boss drops, but that's preception, the reality is that you gear at about the same pace as raiding 10 man.

All in all, I, personally, loved MoP (WoLK is still my favorite, but a lot of that is nostolgia), loved the Pandas, they fit in as well as a talking side of beef or a space goat and I loved a lot of the new things they tried.

I think they're going in a good direction and expect things to only improve.

Any way those are my thoughts on MoP, kind of an early post- mortem.

I agree with you on a lot of this. I want to just add my 2 copper on a couple points:

-Timeless Isle- Love everything about it except for the rep grind. I was happy to leave that kind of grind in Silithus where it belongs! An extra daily or even some turn ins would have been nice, I just hit honored on my main after spending an hour AOE farming the Yaungols.

-Rep Grind- It was a little ridiculous and alt-barring. Though when I finally got my 1 alt to 90 2 months ago, Cloud Serpents took 2 days with all the eggs that were left up! Yay me!

-Linear Raids- I liked how Naxx was set up in wings of 3-4 bosses that were in and of themselves linear, it was nice to be able to pick which wing to do next and have all 4 complete to move on to Frost Wyrm Lair. Ulduar did it fairly well as well. Overall I enjoyed MoP raids, but I only did non-LFR in MSV and SoO. Had to take a break after the guild I was in at the beginning fell apart.

-Tillers- Overall it's great, though I wish you didn't have to grow the portals and take up precious farm space for a port to Silvermoon which would just get deleted. A single port in the farm house with a dialogue box to choose which city would be fine. Just make the grind to own the farm a little harder to get, IMO. However, this brings up a point about cooking. Raid food is best in MoP if you cook your own and bring it. You can't get the stamina from Spring Rolls from a noodle cart or a feast. Now, that doesn't effect me, I bring my own food and flasks always. But my guild provides for its lazy ass members too, and they're never made to have to bring the better food. That irritates me, but I guess it's more their fault than Blizz's, trying to force people to do better.

-Professions- Utter failure. I'm not into learning random patterns for doing daily stuff. Give me my choice of which one to learn daily if you want to gate me, but making it random so my warrior is getting int/spirit/haste gem patterns before crit/str/stam/avoidance is just crap. The bonuses to raiders are pretty stale at this point too. I think it could use a second look. Also, as a JC who's now facing a failing gem market, F YOU FOR NOT PUTTING EPIC GEMS IN, BLIZZ.

-Legendary- I agree with you on this. Interested to see what they'll do for legendaries in the next expansion! The cloak was my first ever (still waiting for the 2nd binding to drop, with 10 elementium bars in my bag).

-LFR Loot- Meh. I hate the LFR system as a whole. Glad to be doing normals again so I don't feel obligated to sit through that trash.

Again, excited for the next adventure, wherever that may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I.

WANT.

SOME.

FUCKING.

CLASS.

QUESTS.

(and maybe class legendaries)

but srsly. shut the hell up blizz and give us class specific quest lines again.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    You can't get the stamina from Spring Rolls from a noodle cart or a feast. Now, that doesn't effect me, I bring my own food and flasks always. But my guild provides for its lazy ass members too, and they're never made to have to bring the better food. That irritates me, but I guess it's more their fault than Blizz's, trying to force people to do better.
    Actually, there is a 300 stat food Noodle cart as well, which costs the similar 5x each stat (and yes, being drunk is a stat!) for 5 carts. The best way to get these is actually try and get a couple of people in your guild to do get their daily Nomi food and mail it to the guild chef, who then makes the carts.

PS: The carts are neither soulbound nor require any cooking skill to drop, so you can just have an (officer) alt make them if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Also, non-stamina classes only get 275 stat (we get 415 stamina) from the Pandaren Banquet, not 300.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=74656

This beats any banquet or cart. I believe every cooking class has a single food type the trumps those, no?

EDIT: Let me retract that, turns out the cooks in my raid are just bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    as a JC who's now facing a failing gem market, F YOU FOR NOT PUTTING EPIC GEMS IN, BLIZZ.
    Do not get.

Really do not get your beef with this, should i feel put out as an engineer because there aren't Epic scopes? or as an alchemist because they're aren't epic flasks? or perhaps my miner should be most out of sort due to lack of introduction of epic ores. All i see epic gems doing is creating a bubble at their introduction which resets the JCs allowing those who can afford to learn the new recipes to gouge the other JCs out the market, there's always a surge when a new tier comes out for gems, as people aquire new gear, which fall off as people finish their gear sets, epic gems or otherwise, what's different this time round from previous xpacs is that mining doesn't suffer so much becuase uncut Epic gems are typically acquired easiest from doing PVE content (random drops in SWP, raid currency in WotLK, and boss tokens in Cata). Which helps keep that profession alive and forces people to actually go out and mine. and not just focus their alts raids to provide gems for their main. which leads on to the whole random discovery thing, it's good becuase if you could just learn the patters you want, you'd only ever learn the patterns you need, and you'd do that very quickly and relatively easily, and if professions are quick and relatively easy then having multiple alts to specifically feed your main stuff again becomes a very easy thing to do, and that kills markets, when everyone can make their own with very little time or gold investment to get there.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    Actually, there is a 300 stat food Noodle cart as well, which costs the similar 5x each stat (and yes, being drunk is a stat!) for 5 carts. The best way to get these is actually try and get a couple of people in your guild to do get their daily Nomi food and mail it to the guild chef, who then makes the carts.

PS: The carts are neither soulbound nor require any cooking skill to drop, so you can just have an (officer) alt make them if needed.
    So far I have 9 Nomi's that I farm every day and am able to make a pretty good amount of Treasure Noodle carts, they give the top buff food. I sort of just horded all my food in my guild bank over a couple of months. What's really nice is that if you drop the cart, you get your food buff, so you don't have drop cart wait for raid to get noodles then eat.

Yeah, it's was really annoying at the start where the person doing all the effort was the only one in the raid not getting 6 uses out of a cart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I think it is about time that the attitude of "well, they only lost 100k subs this quarter" got kicked right to the kerb. Yeah sure, not every player is going to remain subbed for the entire duration of an expac, but instead of trying to suck the least, why not try to tackle the issues that lead people to unsub in such huge numbers in the first place. Otherwise, Blizzard are just managing a race to the bottom, and that is the Presidents' job.

Basically, if WoW is turning out not to be such a great place to be, then the reasons behind that need to be addressed. I think that guild activities should be incentivised over random group content. I'm talking about both PvP and PvE content here, there has to be a way to make random group content less rewarding, less likely to be done (without actually making it less rewarding) and in turn, making guilds necessary and rewarding.

Guilds are intended to be the main place to progress your character and are supposed to provide the kind of environment that you want to do that, with loads of your friends too. Cross realm stuff is a double edged sword I think. A far better solution is to really maximise the connected realm thing. Also, something non-embarrasing needs to replace the guild finder. Helping guilds and players connect with each other, making guilds, not LFR, the convenient thing surely must be the right way to go.
    Last edited by Sharku; 11-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Sounds like that's a lot of what they're doing in WoD. The Flexible raiding structure really helps wow and community, and it sounds like they're trying to make sure world PvP becomes a thing again.

I think they made some really good strides in MoP and those will only continue in WoD. I'm excited for the future of WoW.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

I like most of the changes I've heard so far. If anything you're getting what you're asking for through more cross-realm features: playability with friends in virtually all aspects of the game despite what realm anyone plays on, minus mythic raiding.

Though they've said they aren't giving any fucks about world PVP balance outside the new wPvP zone. I believe the specific term they used was "faction imbalance is too large".

True, but it sounds like they really want the new wPvP zone to be the focus of world PvP... though I still want to raid Karabor.

I'm sure Karabor will be overrun daily with the amount of horde on PvP servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like that's a lot of what they're doing in WoD. The Flexible raiding structure really helps wow and community, and it sounds like they're trying to make sure world PvP becomes a thing again.

I think they made some really good strides in MoP and those will only continue in WoD. I'm excited for the future of WoW.
    I would agree that it does sound like what they are doing, except that the terminology used at Blizzcon surrounding the flex raiding structure was "friends" instead of "guildies". The changes to raiding overall should be jumped upon as an opportunity for guilds to grow and hopefully we will see fewer pointless guilds clogging up chat channels etc, but we all know what happens to the wow community when things get made easier for it, as evidenced by the LFD tool in 3.3 and the LFR tool in 4.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharku View Post
    I would agree that it does sound like what they are doing, except that the terminology used at Blizzcon surrounding the flex raiding structure was "friends" instead of "guildies". The changes to raiding overall should be jumped upon as an opportunity for guilds to grow and hopefully we will see fewer pointless guilds clogging up chat channels etc, but we all know what happens to the wow community when things get made easier for it, as evidenced by the LFD tool in 3.3 and the LFR tool in 4.3.
    There is a HUGE difference between how flex works and how LFD/LFR works. Flex is what SHOULD have been done instead of these things. The problem with LFD and LFR isn't that they make things easier (in fact, sort of 'standard of living' increases are why they won't just kill LFD/LFR) it's that it requires no interaction with other players. You can queue, cuss someone out, leave, doesn't matter, you'll never see them again. But Flex actually makes you interact with people and allows you to raid with the people you want to.

It's all about COMMUNITY growing, which extends beyond the bounds of guilds. Back in WoW's hayday it wasn't that there were good guilds with good communities, it was that those different guilds interacted to make larger communities, and bigger friend bases. That's the whole point, and that's EXACTLY what Flex facilitates.

Whereas LFR fosters my genocidal tendencies.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

One of the panels at blizzcon was asked about why no love for guilds and they clarified that when they say "friends" that includes guildies. This was in the context of the bonus valor you will get for using a preformed group with LFD type things (dungeons, scenarios, etc). So hopefully you have a decent amount of friends that you like hanging out with in your guild and you can run this kind of stuff with them.

That said, it is going to be great to be able to just broadcast on my RealID that I'm looking for a tank for heroic whatever and anyone of those friends (on the same faction) could come along and fill out my raid. Mythic being what it is is good too, just have to find 10 more mythic capable people like every other current 10 man heroic guild is.

+ Reply to Thread