+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: high end PC low FPS

high end PC low FPS

so i have 3, yes 3 high end PC's

lets talk about just one though i have the same issue on all 3.

I just built one with a:
    AMD 8320 4 core proc 3.4mhz (8 Logical Cores)
    12GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 7970

With no addons running i get 0-3 FPS in a LFR

Would anyone know whats going on. I am a fairly technical person as i do work for Microsoft. All 3 of the PCs have more than adequate HW to run on ultra but i cant raid even on LOW video settings.

I have done my due diligence as far as checking the normal stuff:
    drivers updates
    system requirements
    64 and 32 bit modes
    played with the settings of ati
    played with the settings of WOW itself

I have been on the verge of just quiting wow, and going to marvel heroes, but i like WOW and i play casually since starting at Microsoft. no way i could be a HC raider again if my FPS don't hold up. I have even reformatted one of my PCs that I use to build virtual labs on its got a server processor in it over 1TB of ram and a ati radeon HD 7870. same issues though LFR and 25 mans I DC are 0-5 FPS a sec.

Thanks in advance, if anyone is able to help you can try reaching me here are I am on Skype (dguilloryjr@msn.com)

Thanks again

Are you playing over Wifi or on a wired connection to your router?
    Have you tried closing the game, deleting the WTF and Interface folders and restarting the game?
    Have you tried deleting the game cache? Maybe that is corrupted. See https://eu.battle.net/support/en/art...a-cache-folder

Is this problem unique to WoW?

I had a similar problem but it was caused by an addon, so if you're running without addons I'm not 100% sure what it could be other than Fetzie's suggestions.

How are you installing WoW? Are you copying the game files between your computers or have you tried a 100% fresh install/rebuild of it?
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Just a thought, is your PSU capable of supporting your graphics card? When I built my first computer I didn't know how all that worked, so I put a fancy video card in without checking to make sure it was powered properly, and my performance was atrocious.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

And how hot is everything running? FX8320s throttle from about 65C.

given that one machine had a reformat I assuming this reformat was a complete fresh install and not a image. The two things I would check.

First is too see if something like an anti-virus is conflicting with wow. When playing wow what does the processor usage look like in something like process explorer? Is it just wow above 25% or is there something else also?

The second is more of a long shot but since I have seen it cause issues in the past check your power profile settings. If you have it under balanced try changing it to high performance to start with. With further tweaking if need be.

thanks for your comments,

yes everything in the custom PC is brand new and was a fresh install of the OS and the game

I did not install any addons

I ONLY installed windows and warcraft, and the drivers for the video card. I have also updated all the windows updates.

I did give some thought to the PSU for my custom PC, but I got the same performance from the FACTORY alienware aroura r4, that use to run just fine. I am not appose to getting another PSU, but I think the one in the custom PC is more than adequate.

the problem is unique to wow. I can play marvel heroes with no problem on high graphics.

I am playing over wired connection.

I am online now via Skype if anyone wants to chat (dguilloryJr@msn.com)

Thanks again

http://sdrv.ms/1gWQ99e - pic on skydrive, seems I don't have permission to upload pictures

Hmmm, Fetzie might have better info for you, but the place I bought my computer from, iBuyPower, says that for your combination of graphics card and CPU, you need a 700W power supply if you're putting the graphics card under load. Your PSU is only 500W. It's possible that may have something to do with it.

Edit: AMD says that the minimum specs for that graphics card is 500W. http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...on-7970.aspx#2
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

General rule of thumb for system power consumption is 2*cpu_draw + gpu power_draw (this allows for things like RAM, storage, USB devices, fans and a bit of headroom). The FX 8320 has a 125W draw, reference HD 7970 is about 250W. 125*2+250 = 500W. Your PSU can provide 408W on the +12V rail (power = current*voltage = 34A * 12V = 408W which is what matters for the CPU and graphics card).

Now, this might not be the only problem that your computer has, but it is the most likely. Do you have a power supply that can provide at least 42A on the 12V rail (500W) that you can test it with?

Have you seen any blue screens lately, perchance?
    Last edited by Fetzie; 10-28-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Ok. Well before I run out and get another psu tomorrow does anyone have anything else I need to check/modify?

looking to see if walmart has one, ill go get it now if they do. (only thing open this late)

I shudder to think what kind of PSU Walmart would have. =/

LOL, to funny

if I knew somewhere else this late I would go, but fry's is closed: http://www.walmart.com/search/search...24100+-+%24150

I guess I could play GTA 5 for the time being

Nah. I'm sure a 339 Watt Sam's Choice PSU will do just fine. It won't fry the rest of your system, at all. mmmhmm.

LOL, to funny... thanks guys Ill let you know performance after the psu update.

+ Reply to Thread