+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Issues with last stage of Wrathion forge quest for Prot Warrior

Issues with last stage of Wrathion forge quest for Prot Warrior

Hi

I'm at the manifestation of corruption stage of the wrathion quest in the singe player scenario. I am a prot warrior with 520 Ilvl. I have tried numerous combinations of the fight and can't get the boss below 75% health. I don't have a very good dps spec and to be honest I am not any good at that rotation anyway and my dps is relatively low on that gear.

Has anyone done this as a prot warrior in their tank gear and if so what was the tactic that they used that I am obviously missing.

I had to change all my talents for the previous fight to be able to protect the blacksmith but there is nothing in the talent tree that i can see that will help me.

I appreciate any time spent in considering and answering my question. I am one of the two tanks in our guild raid team and I need the cloak to give us a better chance at progression.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Edit: Ofcourse, I misread what quest you were on, the advice below is sitll valid for the Celestial Challenge

Here is what I used in talents:

Disrupting Shout (interrupts)
    Shockwave (stuns boss + adds)
    Avatar (macro'd to Skull Banner & Recklessness for instant burst)
    Second Wind purely for the higher potential healing
    Commanding Shout
    250 Mastery food (still had it on from LFR)

I had some issues with this fight as well, particular because we're virtually the only tanks with no self-healing.
    As a result, you need to rethink your entire strategy.

Deathwing himself doesn't hit that hard, up to a point where I was using Shield Barrier over Shield Block for the extra total reduction. Remember, no heals = damage smoothing doesn't matter. Not to mention that because Shield Barrier has a minimum value, it actually works extremely well on the weak hits Deathwing does.
    The blood adds hit a bit harder, which I kept Shockwave for, followed by Thunderclap. That should bring them down enough to Revenge them down quickly. If the boss runs after Wrathion, Intervene, taunt and Heroic Leap back.

On the Shard intercept phase, simply stay close to Wrathion and step out 2y in the right direction to intercept. Use your Safeguard or Intervene here if you ran off too far and doubt you can intercept shards coming from the other side.

Don't expect to get a lot of Vengeance, so make sure you prioritise Shield Slam and Revenge for the Rage to put into Barriers. Without the AP from Vengeance, Battle Shout is not much of a boost, so go Commanding Shout.
    Demo Shout as much as you can, use Demo Banner or Shield Wall once the SW stun runs out on the blood adds to reduce damage taken. Keep Last Stand for when you do drop low to boost Second Wind more. If you really have issues, don't be afraid to use a Flask or elixirs, ask friends and family to buff you before you start, especially a Mastery and stats buff could help you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Airowird; 10-14-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Do you mean the single-player scenario in the Thunder Forge, or the one at the Temple of Niu'zao?

The Thunderforge Fetz, there's no blacksmith to protect in Nuizao.

Main thing is to make sure you click an anvil to interrupt "Insanity" by clicking an Anvil, it will one shot you if you don't. other than that its a case of not stepping in the bad when the sha boss does his falling bits of sha ability.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Thanks for your responses guys. I appreciate the advice. ]

During my many attempts I have died to stupidity on my behalf but the issue is that the defender is dying on me too and in 2 cases I ran out of anvils and still hadn't killed him. I think my DPS is too low. Could this be the case? Because I don't actually tank him I can't get enough vengeance to get my DPS up.

I hadn't realised what I was getting myself in for when I started (I really should have researched it before i dove in) and wasn't prepared properly, I didn't have flasks or potions. I never thought about the flask of mastery though - is this the preferred flask when tanking too? I thought it was the Stam flask and have been using that since I started raiding.

I have left the scenario and will approach it with a better strategy and the correct aids to give it a good attempt and let you know whether I get through it or not.

I have added a link below to my armory. I am missing one gem which a mate is making for me but if you see anything that is holding me back in my make up let me know.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/Tighe/simple

Thanks again guys

The defender being dead isn't really that much of an issue is it? he should go have a little lie down and regenerate during which time you have the boss and the adds all to yourself for lovely vengeance. rest of the time taunt on CD, use your mocking banne ron he adds, safeguard/vigilance the Defender. If you're running out of anvils your DPS is too low.

You're not hit capped. Get hit capped. From a DPS perspective no other stat is a good as Hit. For a survivability view point if you had twice as much mastery maybe hit wouldn't also be your best survivability stat, but you don't so Hit capping, just do it. Additionally if ease of healing isn't a consideration, but DPS and Damage Taken are, you probably should be stacking avoidance, (parry over dodge for max DPS), rather than stamina and mastery.

Your meta gem is the wrong meta gem, Prot warriors prefer the Eternal over the Austere unless the majority of the damage is physical but not blockable. If the majority is magic we prefer the Effulgent instead.

I wouldn't use Glyph of Bullrush, unless you're, managing to charge on CD, or desperately need more rage on the pull, it's really not worth it. Take Glyph of Hold the Line instead. its our best AoE DPS Glyph and our second best single target DPS glyph.

and ditch Herbalism.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Teng

Thanks for the advice I've been using your Harsh Words as a bible since I came back to WoW (12 weeks ago). The gem that I am waiting for is the one to hit cap me. I am on a low population server and it's impossible to get gems when you need them. They also go for 250g each on the AH when you can get them which isn't too much if you can make money but is terrible if you can't (because of the low population on the server).

I am really interested to hear that you recommend avoidance for my ilevel. I thought that mastery was the go to build for Wars and didn't realise that avoidance was for my ilevel. We don't do heroic raiding as you can see from my armory but our healers are not really overgeared and they have been loving my mastery build since I swapped to it around 4 -5 weeks ago.

Thanks for your critique I will adjust as you have suggested and hopefully my raid will appreciate it.

Any suggestions for a replacement for herb? I have enchant already, LW (and skinning) on a rogue alt and am working my way up to JC (with Mining) on a hunter alt. I don't mind starting from scratch with a new prof as I can't sell my herbs on my server anyway and have basically been using them to assist with the raid farming up to this point.

Thanks again for the assistance. I look forward to your comments if you get back to this post.

Lots of people talking cross-purposes in this thread. If I read it right, Tigher is looking for help with the bit of the legendary quest in the thunder forge with the anvils. You can save Airowird's advice until later, and although Tengenstein's general gear comments might be useful, this challenge requires you to do DPS, your survival is unlikely to be the issue as long as you are clicking the anvils quickly and not standing in the bad too much.

I had the same problem when I did it on my warrior alt. My DPS spec and gear was pretty terrible, but I was struggling to output the dps to beat the soft enrage of running out of anvils. In the end, I did it as prot. I'd suggest the following:
    - Mix up your gear. Pick your best bits of DPS gear, ideally including a DPS helm with a DPS meta, DPS trinkets at a minimum. Remember though that all your tank gear has lots of strength. As Teng says, hit/exp should be high or capped. Strength flask, strength potions, strength food.
    - Work your cooldowns. Recklessness and skull banner early, I think you might be able to use it twice. Use your talents (i.e. avatar or whichever you prefer). Macro them all together if you want. You probably want enraged regen for the controlled heal.
    - You may not need to use your rage on shield block/barrier as much as your habits are telling you. You might be able to heroic strike a lot more. YMMV
    - Keep agro. The NPC will probably try to tank, but you want revenge procs and what little vengeance you'll get. Don't worry when he goes down tho.
    - Keep dragging the fight around so you don't have far to move to click the next anvil. Anvils are only for use interrupting the Insanity cast, and you really need to do that fast.
    - Read the comments on wowhead, http://www.wowhead.com/quest=32593

Good luck... and don't put it off too long, as the rewards are well worth the effort and you want to be working towards the final stages asap.
    Last edited by swelt; 10-14-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks for the help guys.

I folded and swapped from my tank gear to my dps gear - 480 ilevel and finished it in two attempts. It goes to show how terrible prot is at dps for anything but raid or heroic tanking. Still i wouldn't change my tank spec for anything. I am now onto the next stage and have been squished by nalak 3 times already. The repairs are going to cost me a fortune for this heheh. I'm off to research how to beat that part now. Thanks for the help and I will be taking on board everything that has been mentioned up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigher View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.

I folded and swapped from my tank gear to my dps gear - 480 ilevel and finished it in two attempts. It goes to show how terrible prot is at dps for anything but raid or heroic tanking. Still i wouldn't change my tank spec for anything. I am now onto the next stage and have been squished by nalak 3 times already. The repairs are going to cost me a fortune for this heheh. I'm off to research how to beat that part now. Thanks for the help and I will be taking on board everything that has been mentioned up to this point.
    Ask a friend to tank the boss while you run around kiting the thing that follows you.

I'm not suggesting that you go avoidance for your ilevel but for this instance in particular, where you are struggling for DPS and don't have a healer, it makes no sense to be going for a mastery build, you're sacrificing your DPS to make it easier for a healer who doesn't exist to heal you. Prot isn't bad at DPS, is just that your build, Stamina and Mastery, provides little or no DPS, it's full survival and relies entirely on vengeance to provide its oomph, if you're not getting much vengeance because the content isn't hitting very hard, you're are going to struggle for DPS. we're kinda in the same boat as healers here, the more mana regen they need, the less throughput they can provide, the more Survivability we need the less DPS we can provide.

Gear to suit your healers. However the legendary meta gem is redonkulous so I wouldn't be surprised if it gives you enough of a survivability boost to start building avoidance. Either way work on your DPS spec, with dual specialization being so cheap it assumed by blizzard that content will mostly be done by DPS, or DPS offspecs, HC scenarios, solo Scenarios, Timeless Isle farming, almost all of it is easier as a DPS, and despite this tier not having any true solo tank encounters, being able to bring a real DPS to the solo tank encounters rather than DPSing in tank spec is such and advantage. Generally I would suggest Fury as you can repurpose your old tanking weapons for it and on single target figts it is the highest warrior DPS spec.

As far as professions go, anything that isn't Herbalism, tailoring, or skinning is good. Personally I think Blacksmithing's versatility makes it the best profession as no matter how you build it's still good, and this copies over for your DPS spec as well
    MoP RPS Calculator

Nalak is easy to solo, it took me around 30 attempts to figure out the right way to do it.

Get under the boss and use your Throw ability. Not heroic throw, you want the least amount of damage possible. Now, turn around and RUN/heroic leap toward the ToT entrance. The trick here is to get the Pandaren stationed there to tank the boss for you. Pop cooldowns on the way if you have to. Once they take aggro, get out of the little room and kite your add until it dies. The Pandaren take a while to respawn so if you do mess it up, you'll have to wait around.

I tried doing it with a hunter feigning and he couldn't get it right, and no one on my server seems to ever do world bosses anymore so I had to do it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

TengThanks for clarification. I thought you meant to swap entirely to avoidance but now I see what you meant. I've got my legendary gem now so I will be swapping that into my helm. As you said its ridoncolous. I appreciate the time you've taken to assist in this matter.FetzieI raid with a blood do with 1 million hp. He soloed nalak long enough for me to be able to complete the quest. I laughed when I came back and saw your suggestion. I thought I might have to taunt off of him to give me time but he just kept on living. Crazy!DreadorThanks for advice

I am a resto druid and am having serious issues with the second part of the forge of thunder quest i can't figure out how to do it without dying, I get as far as the anvils down then he explodes again and its nit nite for me I can only really spam moonfire as i have to keep moving or die. does anyone have film of doing it in heals spec so I can see where I am going wrong my gear is 530 alas my spells are not to strong shoot me now lol if anyone can give me any tips I would appreciate it
    Danu

The celestial NPC that tanks the boss for that fight does more damage the more hit points he (she? it?) has. So don't worry about moonfire spam, just keep the NPC healed. If you have time throw out some wrath damage and such while keeping HoTs on the NPC. Only use the anvils during the insanity thing that does the f*ck ton of damage. You can even delay it a tick or 2 to try and buy yourself more time, but don't let it go further than that. Make sure you kill the add that comes out as son as possible.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Im a 553 tank prot warrior and i cant even get pasted the part were you have to charge the anvils the Blacksmith keeps dieing what should i do i dont have any DPS gear either

Keeping aggro off the blacksmith shouldn't be an issue. Do you have an armoury link or something?
    MoP RPS Calculator

+ Reply to Thread