+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disease Outbreak

Disease Outbreak

The Corrupted Blood plague incident was one of the first events to affect entire servers. Patch 1.7 saw the opening of Zul'Gurub, the game's first 20-player raid dungeon where players faced off against a tribe of trolls. Upon engaging the final boss, players were stricken by a debuff called "Corrupted Blood" which would periodically sap their life. The disease was passed on to other players simply by being near infected players. Originally this malady was confined within the Zul'Gurub instance, but it made its way into the outside world by way of hunter pets or warlock minions that contracted the disease.

Within hours, Corrupted Blood had completely infected major cities because of their high player concentrations. Low-level players were killed in seconds by the high-damage disease. Eventually Blizzard fixed the issue so that the plague could not exist outside of Zul'Gurub.

The Corrupted Blood plague so closely resembled the outbreak of real-world epidemics that scientists are currently looking at the ways MMORPGs or other massively distributed systems can model human behavior during outbreaks. The reaction of players to the plague closely resembled previously hard-to-model aspects of human behavior that may allow researchers to more accurately predict how diseases and outbreaks spread amongst a population.

They should have kept the spell this way
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

I prefer using an auction house without worry.
    Cool at first, but I bet the novelty wears off soon enough, and once that happens all you are left with is unusable cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Since I wasn't playing when that incident happened, I never got to see the lulz in it, but it sounds like the funniest thing to ever happen to the game. The fire debuff that can wipe a raid should have operated outside of the instance (can't remember what boss it was), but that literally would have been hilarious to see one person run into a city and wipe out all the people in the AH in one fell swoop.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Since I wasn't playing when that incident happened, I never got to see the lulz in it, but it sounds like the funniest thing to ever happen to the game. The fire debuff that can wipe a raid should have operated outside of the instance (can't remember what boss it was), but that literally would have been hilarious to see one person run into a city and wipe out all the people in the AH in one fell swoop.
    If you're talking about Baron Geddon's Bomb ability, that was actually possible with a Shaman using Edward the Odd's mace proc, which allowed you to instantly Hearthstone
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

+ Reply to Thread