+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keybindings

Keybindings

First of all I am new to this forum so hello people!

I am new to tanking, and have respecced my Paladin from Holy and Retribution to Protection Main and Retribution OS.

I have run loads of dungeons and am getting quite comfortable with the rotation etc. My iLvl is now 500 and I ran a LFR Mogu'shan Vaults raid and solo tanked the whole time as first tank left pretty much after I joined.

Now we didntr wipe and it was ok. But I did feel a bit out of my comfort zone. Maybe because its my first raid tanking etc.

I really want to use key bindings for my rotation of 7-8 spells. That was my mouse if free to look around and select targets easier, rather than tabbing through them.

I have read to be a good tank, Keybindings is a MUST. As otherwise you waste time moving the mouse to use spells and to look around etc.

I just want to know from some experienced tanks which keys you bind, why you use those keys and how long it took to get used to the new layout etc.

Im on the EU Alliance Argent Dawn server, if anyone wants to help me get my tanking abilities up to spec that would also be amazing (but please be patient as sometimes slow on the uptake in WoW) I've never been a great gamer in other games, but WoW just draws me in. I have been playing on and off since vanilla, mainly ss ranged DPS.

Thanks,

Tyron

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well, first thing to determine what keybinds you want to use is where your hand-span is, that is to say if you put your pinky on the left ctrl, what number can you reach with your index finger? And what keys do you want to use for movement.

I personally can reach 7 and am kind of locked in to using wasd for forward, strafe left/right and backward. I also have strafe left and right bound to my house (my middle mouse button can be pushed down, left, and right, so down is my push to talk button for vent, and left and right middle mouse are strafe keys).

Now, if you wanna be a baller and try to learn rdfg, it can give you a lot more options because you can reach a lot of keys, but you have to be really good with mouse strafing without using the keyboard at all (aka like the strafe buttons mentioned above) because your pinky and ring fingers will be doing even more key pressing.

While this is a more advanced build, if you're just now learning how to keybind, you might as well get ingrained on rdfg before it's too hard to switch from wasd.

Having said all that, I just kinda grew up on wasd and that's what I'm used to, so here's the general algorithm I have:

1-5 are my main abilities. ` and 6 are HS and Cleave respectively (I'm a prot warrior), and 7 is berzerker rage. So... I really only hit 7 when I really really need to.

next is shift 1-5, these are typically good utility/2 min cooldown buttons, so things like charge, battle shout, demo shout, shattering throw. Things that you'll need to use quickly, but not necessarily often.

Then I start to get into "oh shit" buttons. These are buttons that need to be hit quickly, but are not likely to get fat fingered. I use F1 and F2 for my main cooldowns, so F1 is last stand, F2 is rallying cry. Easy to reach up and just mash those real quick in a pinch. I used to do q for my main tank trinkets, but I actually have hamstring there now, so another utility button. I do actaully hamstring some things on fights (like the oozes on immersius), but if I'm not sometimes I'll swap in some other random fight-specific utility or a racial ability or something.

After this I start filling in more important abilities with the keys around wasd, so q (already mentioned), e, f, c, z, caps lock, etc.

This are important "twitch" keys that I'll need during fights or are supplemental to my rotation. So shockwave is e, execute is shift e, thunderclap is f, raging blow is shift f, commanding shout is z, demo banner is shift z, heroic throw is control e, banner/reck macro is shift d, dstance is shift s, battle stance is shift a, focus target is g, taunt is caps lock.

So basically:
    main rotation abilties: 1-6 or 7ish
    supplimental rotation abilities: shift 1-6
    utility keys: q,e,a,f,c,z + modifiers
    big cooldowns: F1 and F2

I also have a 7 button mouse, so I have things like health stones, heroic leap, interrupts, and intervene bound to my mouse.

The important thing is: don't give up. It's going to be really hard at first to get used to it. Some people even use a mod to make it so that you can't click your bars or even hide your bars to force themselves into the play. Start slowly like just doing some heroic 5 mans or scenarios or something. Once you get the muscle memory down, it help significantly help you become a better tank and think quick on your feet.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Re: Keybindings

Thanks man. That's a great help. I will give that a go and see what happens.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Because I touch type, using wasd as my home keys just felt wierd. So I use esdf, since my left index finger is used to feeling the ridge on the f key, which is a home key for touch typing. e=forward, d= backward, s&f are straff keys (I could use the mouse middle button for strafing like Agg, but never really tried to get used to that). I don't have a key bind for turning on my keyboard, I just use the mouse. I also use a razor naga with 12 buttons on the side. Then depending on the charater I'm playing I bind the r,t,g,b,v,c,x,z,a,q, and w keys so that they form a circle around my home keys; I also bind certain mouse buttons. If I need to bind more I use shift and control combos.

Then, I know this is a cardinal sin to those who worship the keybind temple, but an ablilty like Horn of Winter when I'm tanking I leave as a click.

Actually I have control v set up as a health potion right now, but sometimes I'll put shield wall there, but typically I click shield wall because it's important enough of a cooldown I want to make sure with a mental effort that I'm pressing the right thing. The only time I've ever bound shield wall was for proving grounds because I just needed more "twitch" tanking cooldowns. I'm "fast enough" on clicking shield wall that I kind of like clicking that one ability. pretty sure that and DPS potions are the only thing I don't have bound though.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Actually I have control v set up as a health potion right now, but sometimes I'll put shield wall there, but typically I click shield wall because it's important enough of a cooldown I want to make sure with a mental effort that I'm pressing the right thing. The only time I've ever bound shield wall was for proving grounds because I just needed more "twitch" tanking cooldowns. I'm "fast enough" on clicking shield wall that I kind of like clicking that one ability. pretty sure that and DPS potions are the only thing I don't have bound though.
    Then the emergency situation comes where you have to blow a shield wall really quick while you have to quickly target a mob and taunt it (cause say your co-tank died and you quickly have to taunt his boss till he gets rezzed). If you are clicking shield wall, most likely you either get overwhelmed and not know what to click first, or you straight up pop your CD too late cause you also had to target something else and taunt it and you die. Tanking CDs should always be bound and always on keys that don't interfere with their rotational abilities, such as the mouse.

FWIW, I use ESDF for movement, AQWRTG for rotation, ZXCVB for cooldowns, numerics for utilities and mouse3 for TC on a warrior. This covers 90% of the stuff we have and click the rest. I also tend to think that the only role that requires mod keys in combat are healers.

Also, regarding the "no bind CD" stance. I totally understand unbinding proactive cooldowns like SW as on majority of fights you will know long in advance the exact time you need to use it. I used to do this a lot for SW, pots and trinkets. But things like LS, which is a reactive CD a lot of the time, should imo be bound. It should be muscle memory, speed should not even be a factor for LS.
    Last edited by kopcap; 10-03-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaras View Post
    Then the emergency situation comes where you have to blow a shield wall really quick while you have to quickly target a mob and taunt it (cause say your co-tank died and you quickly have to taunt his boss till he gets rezzed). If you are clicking shield wall, most likely you either get overwhelmed and not know what to click first, or you straight up pop your CD too late cause you also had to target something else and taunt it and you die. Tanking CDs should always be bound and always on keys that don't interfere with their rotational abilities, such as the mouse.
    I have literally NEVER had that be an issue. In 7 years of tanking I've never died because I didn't hit shield wall fast enough. I've never had a problem picking things up then hitting shield wall, or taunting at the right times. I can click that sucker pretty fast, I just want to make sure that I don't accidentally blow a cooldown that important at a wrong time. Last Stand is always my first "oh shit" button. I want it to take mental effort to blow my "oh fuck" button 'les I use it at the wrong time.

I have to say, I'm a "somewhat" reformed clicker in the sense that I went to keybinds durring MoP so I have a hodge podge - the toons I raid on are keybound, some of the others that I just do Timeless Isle on or farming are still clickers casue I'm too damn lazy to set up the keybinds (some abilities are actually bound to the Razer side keys) and I have to say clicking feels really wierd and clunky once you get used to keybinds.

The nice thing about keybinding is once you do it and you have the muscle memory, you can take any toon and go from clicking to keybinding without even thinking about it. So when a toon comes off the bench, I bind the keys and can play it without thought.

Definitely learn to keybind if for no other reason than it's more comfortable than clicking. I have to confess I didn't really see any great dps increase on my hunter when I switched, but but sure as hell makes for a huge jump in raid awareness.

This is interesting; if you go to MMO champion and look at the video of the last few minutes of Star's (Asian guild) H Garrosh kill, the kid who's screen is the focus of the video is a clicker and I it looks like keyboard turning. Don't know what role he's playing, looks like dps. But look at his box of bars and you can see the mouse pointer go over a button and the button light up (easier to see on the smaller view than full screen); then look at his movements on the screen, the turns his screen makes, they're very jerky.

+ Reply to Thread