+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crafting....a rant by Uncle Horacio

Crafting....a rant by Uncle Horacio

Since the word is in the title of the game, I'd expect at least a little bit more thought put into the design of this aspect of the game but alas, no, its an afterthought, a worthless, ill-designed throwaway timesink that gets worse with each roll out of new content.

Look, I understand its a niche activity. The game is designed for-to attract and entertain players who by and large have different priorities than I do. Yep, asshole, ADHD twitch gaming, console gamers ....trying to pry them away from their xbox/PS whatevr long enough to justify maintaining a Wow account. ""No one"" wants to sit in IF/Org/SW whatever pressing a button to make crap.

Ah, well, bullshit. >I< do.

What's your beef, H? They released new patterns for most skills with 5.4, right? I'll go in order (but no particular order)

1.) The gating system. I don't get it. Balancing it by not allowing players to grind up materials on day one and make crap better than everyone else gets? Except everyone can choose a skill and craft whatever they want. If its too much timesink, they can buy the crap off the AH, thereby keeping the hardcore farmers/crafters engaged, logging in to got pick weeds, mine ore, etc.

Nevermind the fact that epic loot drops like candy from Timeless Isle and any brain dead idiot can auto attack their way through LFR and acquire it there. But crafters? Nah, you have to wait THIRTY DAYS to make something worth a crap and even then, you must log (that specific character) in EVERY day in order to do so.

Yes, I am a crafter-I have all the skills on verious alts at max level. My main is a BS, but I have tailoring, engineering, leatherworking, JC, Insc, Alch, all of em. And this is absolutely asanine.

2.) Crafting has no soul anymore. Connected to #1, crafting is a wasteland of originality and thought. Its poorly designed and not the least bit immersive. It doesn't make SENSE! I am making a sword so I need 8 hunks of metal. Its a good sword so it has to be some all new made up metal that no one has ever seen before. Apparently it doesn't have a hilt or pommel or inlaid gems, or any of that other crap or if it does (because the graphic indicates it does) that part just gets glossed over.

Crafting is a gated timesink, not a creative exercise. There's no hint of craftsmanship, just mindless idiocy. Here is where the timesink should be if one is necassary. I can handle having to travel, dig for, hunt up, acquire rare and special materials but nope, just wait 30 days to press a button.

3.) Raid drop patterns. Say what? Loot drops like candy other places and you can do LFR all you want but want to make some decent boots? Nah, go raid for it. That's insane. Crafting is supposed to be an alternative to raiding! If you're there, in that raid, you DON'T NEED CRAFTED CRAP! Oh, I get it, its a reward for raiding, to make the stuff and sell it on the AH.

Its dumb, faulty logic. My wife for example, is a long time Wow veteran. She plays a very limited amount these days but the one thing she enjoys to do is craft. She makes costumes IRL. Tell me there aren't a few more like her out there who just maintain an account to log in occasionally, screw around and do the few things (like crafting) they still enjoy.
    4.)This is all part of a larger issue with the game in that content is disposable. Every new content push like expansions and patches wads up all we've ever done, throws it all away and substitutes it with all new crap. One of the biggest sins Wow has committed is to disregard old content...the lack of continuity and blending wrecks immersion. The ongoing design of the game is such that is appears they fear people saying "well, I like the game as is, I don't need to drop $60 on the new expac for a while....wait, what? is that really a thing? I dunno. Makes little sense to me.

5.) There is no #5, I wanted to imply I had more completely I thought this out. People form their opinions before reading to the end and fire off replies anyway so its entirely irrelevant.

Thoughts?
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Crafting has been pretty stupid ever since it became just another stat increase.

Raid drop patterns. Say what? Loot drops like candy other places and you can do LFR all you want but want to make some decent boots? Nah, go raid for it. That's insane. Crafting is supposed to be an alternative to raiding! If you're there, in that raid, you DON'T NEED CRAFTED CRAP! Oh, I get it, its a reward for raiding, to make the stuff and sell it on the AH.
    I hate this one in particular, and it's not just a WoW thing. This weirdness goes all the way back to EQ.

It's not really crafting if a Boss that drops gear of X power also drops a pattern or materials to craft an item of X power. It's just another piece of gear on his loot table, but you have to press "Create" to get it.

Press create and fork over a boatload of gold, Bov.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Crafting had a larger role before reforging ... before all stats were largely mutable. I distinctly remember in ICC and tiers before crafting being far more useful (specifically those high armor legs) but these days with the advent of iLvL = everything there's little point.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

I don't think we've had patterns drop off raid bosses for a tier or two, it all seems to be along the alchemy way of discovering things; I make this once a day meta-metal I learn to make some shit.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Dude the new blacksmithing patterns are ridonkulous. 28 of the things you can only make once a day?!?! FOUR WEEKS for 1 piece of gear...

... I better hope I can sell that shit for a lot.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    Crafting had a larger role before reforging ... before all stats were largely mutable. I distinctly remember in ICC and tiers before crafting being far more useful (specifically those high armor legs) but these days with the advent of iLvL = everything there's little point.
    From vanilla onward, gearing and stat progression has grown more and more linear and narrow. Partly a function of the game maturing....when vanilla came out, there was a wider array of content and since then it has been distilled down to raiding with tiered progression.

Its like a place you like to eat that cuts back on the menu options in order to cut costs. I don't like it but I am likely in the minority. I enoyed being able to cobble together a set of tank gear by researching what I needed and hunting around for it. Now its a linear progression. You can debate over a trinket here or there but to improve, you need THIS piece of gear or THAT piece of gear, reforge/gem/enchant as needed.

Marginalizes crafting to a great extent, however, that's a narrow view. Ok, fine, I cannot make badass armor but what about armor SKINS? We have transmog now, why not? How about a set of horse armor that gives me a unique mount? I have a ton of ideas that would be, I think, fun. Let tailors make tents so you could log off and get rested credit out in the middle of BFE. Allow alchemists to make some active use potions like molotov cocktails, flashbangs, etc.

There are a million and one things they could introduce that would be easy to design and balance and thrill long time players.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Crafting is one of the backbone of game

BacklinksVault
    Last edited by james.raymar; 10-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.

In other news, go look at FFXIVs crafting.

Pros: Somewhat interesting and involved. Can actually craft usable and/or profitable stuff.

Cons: Pretty grindy to get a crafting class to 50. :O

+ Reply to Thread