+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SoO - Normal

SoO - Normal

So we went into SoO last night and downed the first three bosses. None of us had really been on the ptr; the tanks had done Flex once on there. First two bosses were one shots and the third boss took about 6 tries until we figured out how to decide who goes in the portals, when.

The DBM engrage timer on Nourshen is seems to be off, it says 3 minutes to enrage when the boss enrages. We hit it three times.

All in all the first three fights were pretty easy. Immersious was pretty boring to heal, nothing really hits that hard. Only issue was targeting the blobs to heal. They're not targetable until the land and set then they move pretty fast. The otherside of that is a Holy Shock and they're at full health or pretty damn close.

The Fallen Protectors was interesting and fun. The dispelling is the only real issue and that's just mana mangament, but even the DoT doesn't hit that hard and a Hand of Purity makes is trivial i.e. stay there don't die, I'll get to you in 8 seconds.

Nourshen as stated above was our only issue. We tried a rotation into the test realm, but finally decided to do a rotation first time through - dps/healer, dps/healer, dps/healer, dps/tank, dps/tank; then it was whoever was at 25 corruption would go in until the boss was at about 20% then it was just the tanks soaking, everyone else was at 0 corruption burning the boss.

So far, and it's only three fights, they seemed much easier than ToT, but mostly a lot of fun. I'm assuming the fights will ramp up as we move through.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    So far, and it's only three fights, they seemed much easier than ToT, but mostly a lot of fun. I'm assuming the fights will ramp up as we move through.
    I think it's just tuned a lot more appropriately for Normal mode. Don't have the issues of Horridon which Blizzard nerfed in the first week cause they realized it was a bit overtuned for Normal. I'd think raids that were killing Lei Shen should get to around 4 bosses into the instance first week. Raids doing a couple of heroics in Throne of Thunder maybe 2-3 more. It won't be like last tier where you went in first week and the only thing appropriately tuned for people entering in Normal mode gear of the prior tier was the first boss. Blizzard learned from the mistake of Horridon.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Got two more last night, Sha of Pride and Galakras.

Sha wasnt' bad, took a couple pulls for us to get coordination on the dispels and the prisions.

Galakras was the first boss to really cause us some issues and those were more personal responsiblity type things - getting knocked off towers, not running out from the quake or ground smash (whatever it is) and not understanding the mechanics of the fireball i.e. we'll just burn the boss when it comes down. But it's kind of a fun fight.

Blizzard really went mechanic heavy it seems, which I like. Lots of personal responsibilty on the fights, know your role, know where you have to be and not be. The side effect of this is, next week, now that everyone knows the dance steps, we should move along quickly. We still have Sunday as a raid night so maybe we get 2 more. I went into this saying I'd be happy if we got 4 first week.

So, far I'm very pleased with SoO; in fact, this whole x-pac has seen some very good raids; no ToC or DS mixed in with the good stuff.

I dunno, the whole place just feels too easy. We've been 1-2 shotting most bosses, the only ones that have really held us up have been Galakras and Dark Shamans (each about 5 attempts). We are now 8/14 with another raid evening this Sunday, we're hoping to at least get some attempts in on Paragons by the end of Sunday night. I'm hoping that this tier won't be a remake of ToGC, where you rushed through normal mode with no issues at all and then got a brick wall slammed in your face the moment you turned on heroic mode, but going by the dungeon journal some of the abilities look rather nasty. It is definitely easier than ToT normal.

So we got to 12/14 this week. I have to say Blackfuse is my favorite fight so far; it's just a lot of fun. Thok was challenging for us; took a while to get everyone comfortable with the mechanics. We won't extend the lockout, but I imagine Paragons and Garrosh will give us fits, but hopefully, we finish the clear this lockout.

So anyone with any tips on the last two fights feel free to chime in.

I'll have a Paragons guide up in a day or two but really it comes down to learning the order they come out in (assuming they stick with it staying constant week to week), figuring out the buffs, and then all the little mechanics you need to pay attention to and which ones are just a nuisance. For example the "Calculating" guy with the fiery lines. I thought he'd be a pain but he really isn't long as people don't step on the created lines. The Xaril Catalyst guy though is a "oops you were in the wrong place, boom you are dead" type thing.

Got to 6% for Garrosh and its a long fight that you just have to maintain your cool with and keep up with the mechanics for 12+ minutes. Frustrating to be working in late phase 2 and phase 3 and then 2 people die to annihilate early in phase 2, wipe, start over, ugh.

Thanks.

I saw that Garrosh was a marathon fight and was thinking about the pound the keyboard moments with those less than 10% wipes that are in our future.

+ Reply to Thread