+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Pally Low DPS?

Prot Pally Low DPS?

Hey,

As the subject says, I can't seem to do good DPS. Any time I'm in raids, or heroic groups, I get told many times that my DPS is very low for a prot pally.

Can someone take a look at my armory so I can see if I'm doing something there? Also, maybe my rotation is wrong?

Any info will help heaps!

Armory Link: LINK

That meta gem isn't great, get the Austere. other than that the gear looks fine; You're hit & exp capped and heavy into haste, so its probably a rotation problem. Without a log Parse there's not much more than can be said.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

How do I go about getting a log parse of my rotation? Thanks for the quick reply.

Does your raid team use world of logs? if not its probably going to be a bit difficult to get a decent log without setting up a WoL account yourself. Perhaps you could describe your rotation in detail?
    MoP RPS Calculator

I basically just use whatever isn't on cooldown during my rotation.. but it's something along these lines:

Avengers shield -> Judge -> Crusader Strike -> Consecrate -> Shield of the Righteous -> Holy Wrath (any time it's up).

Right that's bit off for single target DPS, you don't really ever what to delay a Holy Power Generator so due to CDs of J and CS you end up with a a sort of 9 GCD cycle of;

CS>J>X CS>X>J CS>X>X

where X can be any of your other GCD locked abilities, the order of Priority is (or at least was);

Avenger's Shield with a Grand Crusader Proc
    Level 90 talent ability
    Holy Wrath
    Avengers Shield w/o a GC proc
    HoW
    Consecration

You'll also want to make sure you weave Sacred Shield in there as it a crucial part of why protadins stack haste. YOu should also notice that i haven't listed shield of the righteous as being a filler. SotR is off the GCD so you shouldn't be using it in the rotation with the above mentioned abilities, it should be used either to Dump Holy power when you cap at five, or to counter telegraphed boss abilities or to help recover from melee spike events, whilst you simultaneously perform the above rotation.
    MoP RPS Calculator

I'm on the phone so blame any typos on Google.

It basically comes down to doing the rotation correctly. Never delay a crusader strike. Only delay judgement when it conflicts with cs. Use grand crusader proccs when they occur, but don't push back cs or j. Minor glyph holy wrath if it might cleave unnecessarily. Don't delay wings if it means you will miss a 3rd usage toward the end if the fight. If you can cleave, don't glyph AS.

If you want to go for higher DPS with negligible difference to your survivability, prioritize avenger's shield procs over judgment and CS. As far as the fillers are concerned, any ability that does direct damage works, so don't over-think what has highest priority and just use stuff on cooldown after your holy power generators are on CD (ok leave consecration last if it's only one target). On AoE situations keeping up consecration and using AS and holy prism on CD is better for DPS than not delaying judgement.

Anyway with your gear you are not gonna do good DPS no matter what. You only have 5.5k haste, most of your pieces don't even provide haste. Make sure the majority of your gear provides haste, and have at least one haste trinket. If you cannot hit around 10k haste, just go reforge to mastery in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaras View Post
    If you cannot hit around 10k haste, just go reforge to mastery in my opinion.
    The sims don't bear this out. If you consider just WoG and SotR as paladin survival mechanisms then yes Mastery is slightly ahead of haste, however there are two other mechanics that heavily affect paladin survival; Sacred Shield and Seal of Insight, both of which scale very well with haste, and not at all with mastery. Using both of those (and really why wouldn't you?) massively boost the value of haste, even more so once you start considering magic damage which SotR has very little effect against. Maybe in special circumstances where you have a slow physical attacks that really test you EHP (hateful strike?), essentially OHK mechanics, with very little or no melee attacks in betwee, essentially bypassing SS and SoI procs Mastery could pull ahead.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Do you click or do you keybind? Clickers always say that they are good enough and don't need to keybind...until they keybind long enough to get it right. Then they wonder how they ever thought they were good before.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    Do you click or do you keybind? Clickers always say that they are good enough and don't need to keybind...until they keybind long enough to get it right. Then they wonder how they ever thought they were good before.
    This. Muscle Memory > Eye-Hand Coordination

Re-reading my comment after checking the thread from Gregasaurous' update, I realized that might have come across wrong. That comment was from personal experience as well as observing it from others. I thought I was good. After I learned to keybind, I looked back and realized how much better I was keybinding than I ever was clicking. Sure, it took a while to get there. The initial change set me back a long ways. By about 1 1/2 weeks of quite a bit of playing, I was as good as I ever was clicking. It's been all up from there.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    I keybind everything. Here is a link to some world of logs that I got during Lei Shen:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ew/details/15/

Looking at your kill first thing that strikes me is that assuming 0 haste and 80% active time could fit in 103 CS or HotR, you only got in 82 (and that's assuming you nothing during transitions), you only cast wings twice, with that fight length you could fit in 4 wings. Your ~80% active time also seems funky, given that the other tank manages 90%+ active time. I usually get 85% active time, but your kills are a third longer than mine, so the transitions where tanks are liable to have little to do take up a much larger percentage of the fight for me than you. Your Sacred Shield (the buff not the absorb) uptime is 30% which is abysmal theres no reason to not have it up >95% of the time, this is a survivability loss, but considering every 3HP spent on WoG is not spent on 90K SotRs its also gonna be a DPS loss given how many WoGs you casr

With your fight lengths you could probably use wings on the pull and then at the start of each phase on Lei Shen, the fact you're not using CS on CD is a stright DPS loss, and propanly contributing to the low active time as you'll end up with more empty GCDs. Your Rotation and CD usage is off
    MoP RPS Calculator

+ Reply to Thread