+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difficulty taunt swapping as a Prot Warrior

Difficulty taunt swapping as a Prot Warrior

Hello! I just started seriously raiding a few weeks ago as a Prot Warrior. I've tanked for about a year now (LFR/Dungeons/some Cata content), so I'm not terrible at it in my opinion hah. But I'm having an issue on Jin'Rokh (we're only 2/12 so far), more specifically on taunt swapping for Static Shock. When I run LFR, I have no issue with this what so ever (on any boss). But now I'm running with a full-haste Prot Pally, and it usually takes me two taunts before I can fully pull agg off of him.

When I taunt, I follow it with Shield Slam, Revenge, then whatever is off cd/ won't make me go below 60 rage to keep shield block up. Are there any other power shots I should be using? I've considered using avatar/other dps cool downs but I prefer to save them for Hero in the first pool. I also have my threat meter (Skada) up, and it seems that he blows me out of the water in threat gen before I taunt, and that he's just barely keeping more threat than me when my taunt ends.

This isn't a huge issue so far, since he never gets a second static shock on him, but it's just bugging the crap out of me. It also might be more of an issue on later bosses (We don't swap on horridon, I do adds while he BoP's on the boss).

Here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/garrosh/Oridin/advanced
    Here's the pally's armory (not sure if this will help, but it's there): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rumor/advanced

You've logged out as fury.

Taunt swapping requires teamwork, Paladins are little farther ahead of warriors and DKs when it comes to DPS (hopefully will be rectified with Riposte and changes to how taunt works in 5.4) so the issue requires a little better control from them when tanking with other plate tank; the other tank has to lift off on threat. For most tanks this means stopping or at least slowing DPS, for pallies they can just Hand of Salvation themselves and carry on trucking.

Use your CDs on the taunt swap. You're a prot warrior care about lust alsmost as much as you care about spirit and you really shouldn't be in the pool whilst tanking anyway you could dip a toe on as you taunt for a little extra burst. Take Glyph of Heavy Repercussions over Glyph of Bull Rush; on a single target rapid taunt swap fight like Jin rokh, Shield Block should be up nigh 100% of the time when you have aggro, and Shield Slam should be your largest source of damage I generally get 35-45% of my total damage on single target as being shield Slam, so that glyph alone is worth 8-10% of my total damage. Consider taking Dragon Roar, it won't be available every swap but it is very good at securing threat.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Shoot my bad, ran some old content, got disconnected, stayed off for a while. Forgot about the armory hah. It should be fixed now

Yeah, I pull around 40-50k as prot, and our pally pulls around 100-110k. That's a little outrageous. I don't think he ever considered using Hand of Salvation, that's an amazing idea, thank you!

Ok. So as of now, I have my DPS cool downs (Avatar, Recklessness, Skull Banner, Berserker rage{BR has a slot too and I use it basically on cool down unless there's an incapcitate/fear mechanic}) on a macro (back from when I pvp'd exclusively), would it be smarter to separate them and use them at different times for tanking? Like use avatar/recklessness more often and only using skull banner to stack w/ burn or lust phases since it's a raid CD (where I use my big macro now)?

Thank you for pointing out the bull rush glyph, I put that on to get as much rage generation as possible on Anzu from Sethek Halls to kill him fast, can't believe I forgot to switch it back to Heavy Repercussions. Derp.

When I don't have agg I pool rage for the swaps so I can keep Shield Block up as much as possible. It's probably only up 80% of the time though. When I tanked in Cata I was obsessed with Shield Barrier and have just recently started to break the habit. I didn't know about spike/smooth damage till I started doing legitimate research about raiding a couple months ago. We also tank Jin in the water because we have 3 people in our core group (well, they're not in it after tonight) who like to not show up, so we pug some people who bring about 200k DPS, and our pally can stand in the water to get the DPS buff. We actually only wiped once using this strat, because one of our healers didn't understand Focused Lightning fully until it hit her hah.

I've been debating about dragon roar on single target fights, never attempted it though. I'll definitely give it a shot now! Thank you!

One quick thing, I know I have the legendary gem slot on my tank weapon, but I wasted the first gem I got on my fury 2h. Would it be smarter to invest in one and use/upgrade that? Or ignore it because a 502 LFR ToT weapon will be better?

For most tanks this means stopping or at least slowing DPS, for pallies they can just Hand of Salvation themselves and carry on trucking.
    You get the threat back when it expires though. A much more reliable way to do it is just to turn off righteous fury.

You're not expertise capped. Get Expertise capped. Better to be a lot over than a little under, especially if you're having threat issues. Your Meta is wrong, warriors use the eternal (Efflugent if you gem specifically for magic fights) and in 10s you really ought to Gem Mastery rather than Stam, Hit socket bonuses Puissants in Blu sockets, Keen's in red sockets and Fractured in yellows. Get River Song rather than Colossus.

More Mastery means more ccrit blocks, which means more enrages which means more damage done and more rage which means more Shield block uptime hwhich means more crit block. you really don't need much more than 600k buffed health in 10 man normals if you're tanking and healing team aren't slacking off.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Alright. A reforge/gem should bring me up to cap. I read some math from that Ask Mr. Robot website about why it's fine to be slightly under the cap, and just went with what it gave me (also what I've been doing for a few gems/enchants). I knew mastery was our best stat, but I figured stam would be better to gem/enchant, because I can't read even though I'm an English major. I thought our mastery was bigger blocks/crit blocks. Not more of them. *Facepalm*

For an enchant, would you recommend (when I get a 522 weapon) that I switch to dancing steel vs River song then? Since it'll translate into more parry, which is slightly better than dodge at the moment if I'm correct?

Mr robot is wrong, his expertise hit cap being under is based off a DPS premise. Tanks work differently; A missed BT means a slight loss of enrage uptime and maybe another empty GCD, if SHield slam misses it could (and does) have an appreciable loss of uptime on our active mitigations, and that will Kill you. A dps having an empty GCD a couple of times a night is not quite as important as a tank not dying a couple of times a night, especially since our stats don't all work to the same end, Avoidance reduces total damge taken over a fight, Staminas increase the damage you can take before you need healing, Hit and expertise decrease the likely hood of tanks taking multiple consecutive hits to the face, smoothing damage

But your concerns are with THreat and DPS, and Hit and expertise and mastery are a DPS increase, None of your other Tanking stats are

Dodge and Parry only differ in the rate which their diminishing returns kick in, DOdge generally has the stronger Diminishing return, but this is countered by the fact that your parry form strength also contributes to the diminish returns form parry, so for most warriors Dodge>parry becuase we have so much strength on gear. so yeah River's Song> Dancing Steel for end game raiding, THe extra AP from the strength doesn't contribute to Sbar so its kinda bleh.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 07-06-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Alright. I've got a little editing to do on my gear later today. Hit/exp caps, rework some gems, change an enchant, and probably give my reforges a look over.

DPS isn't as much of a concern for me, just mainly stating pally's shouldn't be able to pull just as much, if not more, DPS than half the raid. But every little bit helps in this tier as well.

Thank you so much for all of the help, it's invaluable! I read some of your guide too, amazing information in there! I'm going to sit down and read it top to bottom later today, then try to tweak as much as I can before we raid again tonight! You're the best man! (:

Is he Standing in pool? He definetly shouldn't be doing that whilst he has aggro, and he definetly should be doing as Fetzie suggest if he's standing in there whilst you're tanking, on my last normal Jin 'rokh Kill i averages 79.4K and my co tank (we're both warriors) averaged 72.0K. TBh if you're DPS aren't pulling over 100K they probably aren't doing the fight right.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 07-06-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Is he Standing in pool? He definetly shouldn't be doing that whilst he has aggro
    Why not? It doesn't increase physical damage taken and you should be taunting to spend the least amount of time with the debuff while tanking the boss. I stand in the puddle on 25H and it isn't a problem, so I don't see why it would be on 10N.

Also your paladin has way too much hit rating, way too little expertise rating. He needs to completely rethink his reforging and I have no idea why he has the Flash of Light major glyph. I would also ask him to reconsider using Clemency, Unbreakable Spirit is a better choice IMO.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 07-06-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Well if he doesn't have the debuff fair does but when he does have the debuff the extra raid damage isn't really gonna help things out as static wound will double dip the pool.
    MoP RPS Calculator

I'll let him know. I think he did all that because he wanted to get as much haste as phsyically possible. No idea about the glyph, but he spec'd into Clemency for Horridon last night. Since we didnt swap at the doors we wanted to be 100% sure that he could BoP at each door.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley290 View Post
    I'll let him know. I think he did all that because he wanted to get as much haste as phsyically possible. No idea about the glyph, but he spec'd into Clemency for Horridon last night. Since we didnt swap at the doors we wanted to be 100% sure that he could BoP at each door.
    No real point increasing your holy power generators if you're going to miss 10% of them.

+ Reply to Thread