+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flex raiding mode discussion

Flex is also useful for doing those boss achievements when the people that want the mount are in the minority in the raid pool and you know you'll never get them done in the main raid.

I also experienced another aspect of Flex that I hadn't considered until this week. With my paladin being in a "normal mode" type raid group (hunter in a heroic group), we're at 9/14 N. But with part 4 of Flex out yesterday, we took a night to go do part 3 and 4 as a raid team of 12-13 people and get some experience on those fights. Certainly we didn't play perfectly but the encounters were forgiving enough to allow us to down most of the bosses in part 3 in 2 or 3 shots. Then in part 4 we had time to do Siegecrafter and Paragons, but ran out of time for Garrosh. The great thing was, while we're not yet at Siegecrafter in normal (although I guess we could if we diverted there instead of working on Spoils), we got some experience for people running the gauntlet on Siegecrafter and figuring out who could do it and if they could solo one of the weapons, etc, etc. It was valuable experience that I'm sure is going to help us down that encounter quicker on normal mode.

Likewise, Paragons is a fight with a thousand different mechanics so getting people used to those on Flex before they get there on normal was valuable. We ended up one shotting it fairly sloppily burning all our brezs but still people got to see it all. We'll probably go back tonight and go through Garrosh on Flex to give people a shot at their heirlooms if Garrosh is also fairly forgiving on Flex.

So Flex is now also a nice training tool for raid groups working through normal mode.

In retrospect, since the thread resurfaced, as a guild progressing through heroics rapidly, flex didn't get in our way at all. Basically, we ran it on the first week together with normals, and then some players maybe did a couple of bosses there for tier or so once or twice. It eliminates any need to go to LFR and is not really mandatory at all. Quite happy with how it turned out to be.

Here's what I love about Flex Raiding:

Seeing boss mechanics and learning how to deal with them for normal modes.

Guides are great, love guides, dungeon journal is great, video guides are the best (quick shout out to pallie, I use many of his guides to get my grounding in things). BUT, there's nothing quite like seeing the fight yourself. Yeah, things don't hit as hard, you'll have to adjust some in normal mode, but it allows you to see mechanics, if you get hit hard by something you can go "oh... that's probably gonna hit harder in normal, I need to note that" and it allows you to nail down a general strategy, especially from a tanking perspective.

I can't express how much I love flex and wish it would have come out instead of LFR.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Our guild has basically 15 people who really want to raid, so Flex has been great for that. It really saves on the feeling of people being excluded from the "regular" raid which was starting to cause issues for some

Only bad thing about Flex is the constant need to remind oneself that "this isn't organized LFR, things will wipe you."

I personally love flex for several reasons.

1) As someone said, I do it like my 10 mans in wrath. On guild raid days I do 25m progression with my guild, but my current flex group of choice is where I do the instance in a relaxed and friendly manner and with a mix of normal/heroic raiders on alts and/or mains along with off server friends, IRL folk and so on.

2) It is my preferred way to finish vp capping since multiple kills of the same boss in the same week still award full valor. I get to raid to have vp to upgrade my raid gear finally.

3) Now that I am past needing items for wrathion, I have no real reason to run LFR unless I want to for some reason like helping someone else out or seeing the LFR version of fights from normal (did first wing just to see LFR norushen)

4) The meta mount achieves are 100% doable in flex, and with the ability to kill the same boss multiple times in one lockout, I can try as often to finish as I have a group to go with

5) There's never a "sorry, we're full" issue, although its silly with the group I go with struggle to find enough dps to offset all of our tank and healer options.

6) Unlike LFR, the mechanics matter, although they are much more forgiving. Part of the reason I am glad to be done with LFR is I found myself learning bad habits that then were counterproductive in normal/heroic and I would then have to retrain myself up to the standard of raider I aim for.

7) Its fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by kasanagi View Post
    THIS IS WHERE I PRETEND TO NOT CARE ABOUT WIZARD CAT. <[;3

Quote Originally Posted by Kemanorel View Post
    6) Unlike LFR, the mechanics matter, although they are much more forgiving. Part of the reason I am glad to be done with LFR is I found myself learning bad habits that then were counterproductive in normal/heroic and I would then have to retrain myself up to the standard of raider I aim for.
    This is so true.

To be perfectly honest the degree that mechanics matter seems to simply be a linear scale. For instance we are a mid-level heroic progression raid (we're aiming for 7/14 by the end of this week), but given our gear and experience level we rarely struggle on normal mode mechanics and completely ignore them in flex. The irony is its not usually until we get to a heroic difficulty that we even pay much attention to mechanics because with our gear and skill level (and by that I really just mean HPS/DPS and personal responsibility) on normal they rarely matter. So we find ourselves in a strange situation of having to actually learn the normal mode mechanics when we get to the heroic because now they "matter".

My point is that happens all the way up the chain. If you are an LFR raider, doing a flex probably has the exact same effect on you. If you are a flex raider, doing a normal will definitely hammer home the mechanics you just assumed didn't matter, etc ... all the way up to heroics where there's rarely much forgiveness for error, regardless of gear/hps/dps. In the end it's just a trick of perception. Even in lfr the mechanics are there, they just don't matter. On flex the mechanics are there and can matter if you are a flex level raider, but honestly to my group at this point with our gear and experience we still mostly steamroll. I'm sure the serious heroic mode raiders (we're not them) would do the same to normals if they opted to raid them for some bizarre reason.

That's not a shot at flex, honestly I think its a great idea. I despise LFR, did it about 5 times total in my entire wow career and will never again, but flex is just straight up fun for all. It's a big deal, and a great improvement by them. Its exactly the kind of content a social game needs, content that assists in the social environment rather than detracts from it.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

+ Reply to Thread