+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Racial ability

Racial ability

Currently I play a human for the rep bonus and the ability to get out of fear and stuns but I am considering going to a dwarf since there racial of stoneform which removes all diseases, poisions, and bleeds as well as a 10% damage reduction for 8 sec would be another cool down to add to my arsenal . I wa just wondering people's thoughts on the matter of best tanking racial's. currently I tank 10 man progression ToT

For min/max purposes, I'd guess Alliance are mainly looking at Night Elf and Dwarf. Night Elf 2% miss is good and always on, shadowmeld is only very rarely useful. Dwarf stoneform is always OK as a cooldown and situationaly very good, plus occasionally you'll get free expertise with maces.

Human racial ability is situational (the stun break might be useful at Jin'Rokh, Lei Shen in this tier), the free expertise is more frequently accessible. Worgen sprint is good for classes with low mobility (I've left my DK as a worgen for this reason), but always situational. Gnome escape artist is highly situational (and you have the added problem of fighting the camera when tanking large bosses).
    Last edited by swelt; 06-07-2013 at 04:33 AM.

Are you sure the Miss racial actually adds 2% effective avoidance on bosses?
    With the base being 3% and bosses reducing it by 4.5% (1.5% per level), it seems more logical (and balanced) if it was 0.5%, especially looking towards later tiers of gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I don't know, certainly all the cataclysm theorycraft thought that it did (I race changed my warrior to reach 'unhittable' around that time).

The Night Elf racial doesn't increase chance to be missed anymore, it increases chance to dodge melee/ranged attacks. I want to say this change was done in the 5.0 patch (same time when Hunters started needing Expertise since now ranged attacks could be dodged) however I don't remember exactly when Quickness was changed. The reason they likely changed it is because miss chance can also affect spells where as this makes it only focus on physical attacks.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=20582

And before it is asked, this increase to dodge chance is not subject to deminishing returns. Only dodge gained from Agility or Dodge Rating is subject to deminishing returns.

In terms of overall damage reduction, it is still likely the strongest tanking racial in the game. The Dwarf racial however can let you choose when to reduce damage which may in fact net you higher gains. While the Night Elf racial will statistically result in less damage over the course of time, the Dwarf racial allows you to take a larger chunk out of large spikes of damage which are more likely to result in your death.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 06-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Another way to look at it...

Boss hits for 100k. In 50 swings, the Night Elf racial should reduce your damage taken by 100k at some random point.

Boss does special ability that hits for 800k. The Dwarf racial lets you reduce the damage taken by 80k since you can choose when it takes effect. Even though this was less damage reduction, an attack that a hit that is for 100k is far less likely to kill you than a hit for 800k. The ability to choose when to take less damage is extremely valuable because it may mean the difference between living or dying. Over the course of an entire fight, the Night Elf racial will probably reduce the total damage taken by more. However the Dwarf racial would more likely have an impact on whether or not the tank dies.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

+ Reply to Thread