+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about weapon enchant?

Question about weapon enchant?

I am a prot pally and after reading a lot of threads and posts and getting some good feedback as well I have gotten my pally to a good spot I am at a 512 ilvl with 20.49% haste, and 16.25% mastery unbuffed. A lot of things I read say that colossus is the best weapon enchant for the 8k bubble, but I feel as though windsong would be better for the 12 seconds of 1500 haste where you could refresh your SS and get an extra proc. I am just curious as to what other prot pallies think and are using and why?

Well, the biggest drawback of Windsong is that it is complete RNG. You could (theoretically) proc 15 crit buffs and 0 haste buffs over the course of a 5 minute fight, and that would be nearly worthless for your survivability. Now, Disclaimer aside, I personally like the functionality of Windsong a lot better than Colossus.

IMO, Colossus just isn't big enough. I used it on a farm night a few weeks back just to get a realistic idea of it's number output on any given fight. On the logs it averaged around 1.7% or 1.8% of my healing taken, varying from fight to fight. On an almost 9 minute fight (Horridon and Durumu were both 8:56) it totaled for about 450k healing, which is less than 3/4 of my total HP.

I think what I like most about Windsong is that it gives you stats that (to a certain extent) still requires you to know how to play your character to be most useful. In other words, it's a more interesting proc. Colossus just gets thrown under SS, nothing to do about that. You can make use of Windsong procs though. Haste, Mastery, or even Crit. They also have their more "passive" benefits though, so it's not something you have to keep a close eye on for it to be of any use if you're preoccupied. You can take it or leave it, and still benefit.

If I recall correctly, purely from a mathematical standpoint, Colossus is considered best. Not 100% sure though.

If I recall correctly, purely from a mathematical standpoint, Colossus is considered best. Not 100% sure though.
    it works out at about an 8k shield for every 4-5th boss swing.

Personally, I think that 8k shield is pathetically small and not worth it. I consider it a toss-up between Windsong and Dancing Steel.

Honestly i hadn't thought about Dancing Steel since i don't really have any threat issues and all of our dps is over 90k which in 10N is pretty good imo. I think the biggest reason i thought about windsong is that i run with a ret pally and my guild didn't really buy into the whole haste build for tanks until i got better at it and they could see the results, but anyway all the haste gear goes to him first which is cool i have no problems with making out dps better but it leaves me with all the dodge/parry normal tank gear to make work until haste pieces drop again. although after fights where there are upgrades i do switch spec and use a bonus roll to see if i can get lucky. However i think this week i will switch from colossus to windsong and see how it goes. If i could also impose upon all the great minds here to check out my armory and see if maybe i am missing something or if i am getting it right so far
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Pason/advanced

P.S. i did steal your trasmog Fetzie
    Last edited by ddeluca30; 05-18-2013 at 07:51 AM.

All enchants are shit just go for the DPS one for some extra damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ddeluca30 View Post
    I think the biggest reason i thought about windsong is that i run with a ret pally and my guild didn't really buy into the whole haste build for tanks until i got better at it and they could see the results, but anyway all the haste gear goes to him first which is cool i have no problems with making out dps better but it leaves me with all the dodge/parry normal tank gear to make work until haste pieces drop again.
    As long as u know what your doing with haste build. right now there are too many pallys out there saying haste is best but not knowing why its "best" or how to use it. And that's whats probably making you guild say that. IMO you should have an avoid and a haste set. Dancing steel or ele force would probably be alright. if u have an avoid build set than river's songs probably best. Just play with it and see what u like best. to each there own.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaras View Post
    All enchants are shit just go for the DPS one for some extra damage.
    Some truth here, but I doubt the extra damage is really all that much but the strength also gives you a decent chunk of parry. So really when you add in the benefit of some extra damage + some extra defensive stats, dancing steel wins out, imo.

At least it wins out to the extent that my current tanking weapon was a DPS weapon and I'm too cheap to change the enchant since my main spec is fury these days...
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread