+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DK tanking advice needed... I'm failing :(

DK tanking advice needed... I'm failing :(

Here's a link to my toon: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Dinerys/simple (ignore her ugly outfit lol)

Here's my problem:

I've reforged, re-talented, re-gemmed, and I'm not where I need to be. I lose aggro on aoe fights a lot. I'm being told I need to be better but I am at a loss for what's wrong. I don't have any play videos, but if anyone (DK preferred) wants to group up and help me via observation, I'm down for that. I've visited icy veins, noxxic, and here, watched videos, and followed stat priority/reforge guides. I've only been tanking for about two months, so I'm still new to it. PM me or reply please thanks!

Get hit capped. How are you tracking aggro? or your diseases?
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Re: DK tanking advice needed... I'm failing :(

Wow, those legs made a difference! I was nearly hit capped before I got them today lol. I'm using tidy plates for aggro, and diseases I'm just watching on portrait.

I'd look into getting something better for tacking diseases, I seem to recall Tidy plates can let you see them on nameplates, I use NTK, but find something that you like
    MoP RPS Calculator

Without a doubt you want to get Tidy Plates or an equivalent, I think out of the box it will track your diseases. I use Weak Auras too, it's a great addon.

You want to apply and spread diseases first and foremost, even if you need to Frost Strike and Plague Strike, then spread your diseases. I know it feels like you're wasting time doing this, but the benifits are unquestionable.

Try to use BB if you have more than 3 targets, and always use BB when Crimson Scourge proc's, or Death & Decay if it's not on CD since you shoud've used it when pulling. Pop Dancing Rune Weapon (make sure you have the Glyph active) when you have enough runic power. If you have a strength trinket, and can afford to lose the survivability - use it before using DRW or your Ghoul, or pick up some strength pots. Not sure what content you're doing, using Strength Trinket's or Pots may not be possible of course.

Edit; Remorseless Winter should be used for a damage reduction or other situational purposes - as Teng says below, if they can't attack you, you can't build Vengeance.

To sum it up - put down D&D - Outbreak - Pestilence - DRW when enough Runic Power, Blood Boil when it procs, or when Blood Runes are available, tab target (or click a Tidy Plate bar above your target) while using Rune Strike/Death Strike. Always refresh your diseases with Blood Boil when possible. If D&D becomes available again, use it instead of BB if it procs. It's important to remember that you have to change targets while doing your rotation, staying on one target will surely lose another one to a DPS.

The DPS will always manage to apply DOTS to a target you haven't hit when you first pull, use Death Grip to pull it back. Don't give up if you've lost a target and your taunts are on CD, straffe over and Rune Strike it, then move back into position. Marking targets can be a huge help too, and even though it seems like an old strategy it can save you a lot of heartache when clearing trash.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Michultradk; 05-11-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Removed a sentence about Remorseless Winter
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

Stunned enemies don't attack you so don't help generate vengeance.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Thanks guys unfortunately those mobs are immune to stun and death grip (except basilisk). My typical rotation is dropping D&D off the bat to attract adds, outbreak on whatever I can reach first, BB, heart strike, then hitting them with rune strikes, death strike, icy touch, plague strike, etc until BB is off cool down, rinse repeat. After my initial rotation I tend to spam available melee attacks until the AoEs are off cool down, I don't have a specific rotation other than keeping diseases up and staying alive. I often have to try and grab 4-6 mobs at a time, and as soon as I take my target off of them they seem to take off toward our boomkin or the pally tank on the boss.

Ah horridon is it? yeah the group really needs to stick to a kill order. I wouldn't worry too much about the non elites ( basilisks & protectors on the first door) if DPS are doing theirjob right either there won't be enough DPS to pull aggro off you whilst you concentrate on the 3 mobs that jump down, or if DPS do pull aggro on the non-e;leites they should be ably to kill them before they do much damage. I would't worry about the boomkin, but try to keep them off the pally tank.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Oops forgot to mention it was horridon! Yes, it's killing me. It's the only fight I'm really having an issue with. I worry our dps is a bit low too, our top is 80, second is around 60, the rest are around that our slightly below.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahnaez View Post
    Thanks guys unfortunately those mobs are immune to stun and death grip (except basilisk). My typical rotation is dropping D&D off the bat to attract adds, outbreak on whatever I can reach first, BB, heart strike, then hitting them with rune strikes, death strike, icy touch, plague strike, etc until BB is off cool down, rinse repeat. After my initial rotation I tend to spam available melee attacks until the AoEs are off cool down, I don't have a specific rotation other than keeping diseases up and staying alive. I often have to try and grab 4-6 mobs at a time, and as soon as I take my target off of them they seem to take off toward our boomkin or the pally tank on the boss.
    Hmm, not sure if you just typed what you actually do, or was just giving a broad example - but a few things here.

After you use Outbreak, use Pestilence to spread your diseases - it should be the very next move unless you're dying and need something to stay alive. If more than 3 targets, use BB instead of Heartstrike, Heartstrike only hit's 3 targets so you are going to be missing a couple and not building any threat on them outside of D&D.

The only reason you should use Icy Touch or Plague Strike is to apply diseases if Outbreak is on CD, other than that the Frost and Unholy runes should be saved/used for Deathstrikes.

Don't forget to pop Dancing Rune Weapon - if you're pulling 4-6 mobs your runic power will shoot up and make it available almost instantly, this doubles your threat generation when Glyphed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

I wouldn't worry too much about rar DPS numbers on horridon, there's quite a loot of leeway, if the DPS are burning down the right things at the right time and doing the various utility stuff appropriate to each door.

Michultradk, he has taken roiling blood, he never, ever needs to use pestilence.
    MoP RPS Calculator

That's what I was going to say, I've pretty much removed pestilence from my hot bar bc I never use it. It always seems that BB and heart strike are on cool down, any suggestions for that? My best friend runs a rogue and she was saying that occasionally she'll get aggro on those elite adds but she just kills them lol is the kill order the spawn order?

Not really no. on the first door we do Basilisk (they have like no health so die instantly) Dinomancer, Big bastards, then little bastards. On the second door its Venomus efflusions (once again low health dies quick)Dinomancer,, priests, then blood guards. Third door, is pretty much a clusterfuck becuase the little and medium adds don't have an aggro table but we try Dinomancer, risen bastards of either type, big duded who have an aggro table. fourth door is Dinomancer, Beast shaman, then bears (you need to kil a bear to spawn the beast shaman), other bastards
    MoP RPS Calculator

sounds like your rogue friend needs to tricks of the trade more.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

DK tanking advice needed... I'm failing :(

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    sounds like your rogue friend needs to tricks of the trade more.
    This, and if you have hunters (and they're not complete idiots), have tem MD adds to you. Easy as pie.

Correction: my bff runs in another raid, not mine so I'm not sure what she does.

try out getting 7.5% in Hit/exp and see if that helps. Reforge out of Dodge before parry. Once u get your Mastery/Mitigation where u want it add to str to improve atp and threat.

Not really sure Gemming Strength is really going to help you much, a single pure strength gem gains you 360AP which IIRC is maybe 160 extra damage on your DS and 30 damage to a blood boil hit, before armour. Tank abilities are designed to backed up with a very large amount of AP as such scale kinda poorly with them in general and this usually means that gemming strength has a negligible effect on our TPS lets face it, in 10 man normal you're usually rocking at least 70K vengeance and 20K or so AP from your gears strength, so 1 strength gem is going to make a less than 0.5% increase in your total AP.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Not really sure Gemming Strength is really going to help you much, a single pure strength gem gains you 360AP which IIRC is maybe 160 extra damage on your DS and 30 damage to a blood boil hit, before armour. Tank abilities are designed to backed up with a very large amount of AP as such scale kinda poorly with them in general and this usually means that gemming strength has a negligible effect on our TPS lets face it, in 10 man normal you're usually rocking at least 70K vengeance and 20K or so AP from your gears strength, so 1 strength gem is going to make a less than 0.5% increase in your total AP.
    ^ This

And...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltranger View Post
    This, and if you have hunters (and they're not complete idiots), have tem MD adds to you. Easy as pie.
    ^ This

First time I tanked Horridon, having the Hunter MD adds to me was simply invaluable.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

TBH even complete idiots should MD the tank. Theres never really a reason not to MD the tank, MD being both off the GCD and having no focus cost.
    MoP RPS Calculator

+ Reply to Thread