+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PST - Episode 125

PST - Episode 125

This week:
    0:29 - How is Garrosh any more frightening than old gods and Sha?
    2:59 - Has the extra grindiness of MoP made top guilds like Exodus step down?
    9:59 - Is there any way to help with language barriers in LFR?
    13:41 - Will Blizzard ever make a "WoW 2"?
    16:24 - Should there be a team deathmatch battleground?
    19:38 - Is Warcraft running out of lore to base new expansions on?
    22:57 - Do World of Logs rankings promote bad behavior?
    25:47 - How can I get started in internet broadcasting?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Blizzard need to address other issues before they can bother with World first raiding.
    World 1st someone will get it regardless of 1 week or 6 months.
    looking after .0001% of the population is a waste of resources.
    Lets be honest that without LFR, raiding could not be justfied with the massive amounts of resourses it requires for the small % of the player base actually using it, and again spending resourses on that.

They need to adjust the give / take and buff / nerf they still continue with along with the toxic players who abuse other players.
    And i believe Ghost Crawler needs to do a lot more to improve on what he says, his over view of Cataclysm still stings in my mind by not being fully realistic or honest by the post he posted, while he has gotten better, they need (all of blizzard) to all be accountable of from going to one end of the spectrum to the other and be more mindful of those things.

I'm totally guilty of minimizing the video or tabbing out to Reddit, while Lore talks in the background.

Hey Lore what exactly happen to your TV :P

Quote Originally Posted by ZorPrime View Post
    Blizzard need to address other issues before they can bother with World first raiding.
    Well basically there is a growing trend that once casual players complete lfr they are quiting until the next content patch. Where before players always had a reason or something else they knew they had to achieve in the game to keep them progressing there character. With that being said lfr is a great tool overall even if it has caused a lot more raiders to go casual since they can experience all the content now without being part of a raiding schedule.

Yeah, I am guilty of minimizing and listening while playing wow. You do not have enough stuff, you need more.

Lets be honest that without LFR, raiding could not be justfied with the massive amounts of resourses it requires for the small % of the player base actually using it, and again spending resourses on that.
    Heroic content isn't there just for those who clear it all, it is there (maybe even more so) for those that don't. Because raiders need something to strive towards. A carrot on a stick. If they would cut all raid content and just have LFR (which has nothing to do with raiding, so I don't count as raid content) everyone would run it once or twice, be bored and just wait until the next patch. Why? Because there is no longer any sense of challenge and progression. Queue up, wait xx minutes, cast some spells, get a few bags with gold in them, done. Wait until next week. No challenge, no community, they might as well be 24 bots that kill the boss for you eventually if you stick around long enough.

I've done LFR too. You might as well be nuking a target dummy with 24 others around you doing the same. Usually the only people that have to do anything at all are the tanks. Move the dummy here or there, maybe do a tank swap. The rest can pretty much do whatever they want.
    I have no insight into Blizzard development (Lore, enlighten us!), but I very much doubt they make a nice new LFR instance and then go and add stuff to bosses and make them harder. They probably do the opposite; make an interesting boss, strip or nerf any ability that could somehow kill someone or require any coordination et voila, you have your LFR version of the boss.

In principle I have nothing against the idea of content that my cat could clear, cats can haz epics too. But the idea of just having that without any content to challenge those of us with opposable thumbs is just ridiculous. WoW (or any other similar game) would have died a quick and painful death without challenging content across the board.

Universal Translator?

It would be hilarious if the universal translator of star trek fame was an outgrowth of gaming. wouldn't the dungeon helper be a resource? send them a link with "Please Read".......
    Last edited by worgick; 05-08-2013 at 07:03 AM.

The carrot on the stick is actually quite critical regardless of how many people actually have any realistic chance of getting to it. While yes there is a point where the carrot is too far to really see when people just give up and accept failure, it's still a big and huge part of any game like this where the content has to be recycled and people need a reason to replay content.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Heroic content and World First races are still valuable to look at. Even if only ".0001%" of the game pop sees it at the World/Server first, they still set the stage for the rest of the gaming community to follow. If the content effects this population in a positive or negative way the rest of the gaming community will feel this affect as well just later down the road. People need a chance for advancement and achievement. People that don't want to advance they don't have to. For those that don't see the Heroic modes at the current tier have a reason to go back. The large part of the community still has a reason to enjoy the older content; mounts achievements, titles and so on. It makes the content last and exciting later on... Even if you go back there just to face roll it in a future xpac. Where the players that are "hardcore", "World Firsters", "semi-casual", or whatever have something to work for. The fact that Blizzard has successfully been able to play both sides of this coin is one of the reasons why WoW is now as old as it is, and that we are probably looking at another xpac announcement during BlizzCon 2013.

And Lore... Yes I'm guilty listen to your shows in the background while playing WoW or oddly enough finishing my laundry.....

Final Fantasy 14 also has a auto translator function in the chat menu.
    You for example type Att, press Tab to get up a selection of choices. Select Attack, then type Ifr and Tab again and choose Ifrit. And end with Full, TAB. Full attack.

This is one quick command that would make full sense to JP, German, French and English players to tell them to Full out NUKE Ifrit.

Its is a pretty simple and nice translation system to have, and allows me to play with Japanese players well enough to work as a group, when I have ZERO knowledge of speaking Japanese.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Auto-translator

Cant wait to see how they update it for the relaunch in A Realm Reborn

It is a feature I think alot of MMOs could benefit from. ^^

Regarding question 1, is it just me or do people seem to confuse "Story" Lore with "In Game" lore? Depending on the expansion we have killed Dragons, bigger dragons, old gods, new gods, powerful wizards and warlocks but never at any stage do you flag the whole dungeon when you attack the first pack mob in a less than stealthy manner! Which is what should happen in "Story" lore (kinda real life if you get my meaning)

Quote Originally Posted by Xenosaga View Post
    Final Fantasy 14 also has a auto translator function in the chat menu.
    You for example type Att, press Tab to get up a selection of choices. Select Attack, then type Ifr and Tab again and choose Ifrit. And end with Full, TAB. Full attack.

This is one quick command that would make full sense to JP, German, French and English players to tell them to Full out NUKE Ifrit.

Its is a pretty simple and nice translation system to have, and allows me to play with Japanese players well enough to work as a group, when I have ZERO knowledge of speaking Japanese.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Auto-translator

Cant wait to see how they update it for the relaunch in A Realm Reborn

It is a feature I think alot of MMOs could benefit from. ^^
    iI'm sorry but i doubt universal translator will help people who can't focus skull. It's not langauge thats the the problem, its attitude.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Yeah the translation issue isn't quite that simple. You need to be able to explain complicated boss mechanics, not just "attack skull"
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

The French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and Portuguese servers are already localized. On EU-Anub'arak the trade chat, LFR and LFG chat, GM support are all in German. Guild chat is in German. The game has been translated into German; the Dungeon Journal is in German, item links, quests and the Spell Book are all in German in the de_DE client.

Automatic translation tools generally only make things worse because computers don't understand context.

I am guilty of minimising and playing world of warcraft, then I complain because I am lagging in world of warcraft lol.
    Arms DPS main spec // Prot warrior tank off-spec

Ghost Crawler needs to do a lot more to improve on what he says, his over view of Cataclysm still stings in my mind by not being fully realistic or honest by the post he posted, while he has gotten better, they need (all of blizzard) to all be accountable of from going to one end of the spectrum to the other and be more mindful of those things.
    I am still utterly gob smacked when I look back at GC's "Heroics are hard, deal with it" post during the early days of Cataclysm when at the time he was surely privy to figures showing a subscriptions disaster in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Hightotem View Post
    Well basically there is a growing trend that once casual players complete lfr they are quiting until the next content patch.
    I don't believe casual players have much interest in Raid Finder. In my casual guild only a few percent of our active members bother with it. Ironically more members were raiding in the Wrath days when the likes of Naxx and post-nerf ICC were viable for running socially as a guild.

The casual players that do use RF have been herded into it as a result of alternative sources of gear and the content they did enjoy being removed (VP gear locked behind raid/daily rep, no new 5 mans). I suspect this was an attempt by Blizzard to increase raid content user numbers for the purpose of justifying its continued development.

Ultimately the only people that would benefit from that were the single digit percentage of customers that had a genuine interest in that content. Either deliberately or by accident, Blizzard created a situation whereby the majority would continue to subsidise content production for a niche.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have worked as nothing altered the fact that the majority of casual players find the session length of queue time + raid time along with the impersonal, hardware hungry, mass mayhem of 25 man random raids unattractive.

To then implement the determination buff and use it to buff encounters and effectively create guaranteed wipes (even longer session length) demonstrates a complete and utter suicidal lack of understanding of their subscriber base that hasn't been seen since they designed Cataclysm.

Blizzard sacrificed 5 mans for more raid content when they would likely have done better from a subscriber number perspective if they had cut the raid content and massively ramped up production of 5 mans. Or maintained a decent rate of 5 man production, kept raiding albeit at a slower release rate and made a third difficulty mode on 10 man that would be equivalent to Naxx 10/nerfed ICC.

Their attempt to create parity between 10 and 25 man raiding in Cata continues to have repercussions today but not for the reasons being discussed on most web forums. It was the loss of that casual raid mode along with the car crash that were guild perks that did so much damage to the way in which the game is played and the social structures that had evolved and grown over many years.

I think you kind of contradicted yourself a bit Lore on Garrosh. Your saying you like him being bad just because he's bad after stating a reason why some villians are evil. We don't like black or white characters they're boring.

Illidian - was an Anti-Hero, he was just someone that followed his own interest doing some good and bad in the process not playing by the rules. The loss against Arthas drove him mad. Infact during TBC many of us were upset that we even killed the guy. First of all he was awesome, and he wasn't really a villian, he was fighting against the Legion (but still doing a lot of bad things). Kil'jaedan was a far more dramatic final boss, nearly pure evil who gave into the seduction of Sargeras offer of power.

Arthas - a noble Paladin that only wanted to save his people and went through extreme methods to due so that eventually lead to his spiral toward a dark icy path. (very Anakin > Darth Vadery)

Deathwing - as Aspect of the earth he was doing his duty making sure every place beneath Azeroth was safe and he uncovered the Old Gods that corrupted even someone as mighty as him into madness.

Garrosh - ....an angry Orc with a daddy complex? Seriously this is why we hate Garrosh, he appears out of no where in TBC as a whimp then suddenly becomes an arrogant douche during WoTLK. Varian is similar however we're given much info on why Varian detest the Horde, they killed his father, his foster father and razed his city to the ground...yea I'd be pissed to. Garrosh has no reason to hate the Alliance, and his overly hotblooded and unexplained temper is an embarrassment to arguably the most badass orc if not Warrior in the history of Azeroth. Worst developed character ever.

Not sure I'd say Empress was "only" bad because of the Sha of fear, the Mantid throw themselves at the Pandaren and attempt to slaughter them in cycles, the Sha just made the Empress start the cycle off earlier, expanding their borders much more agressively and start ruining their society as a result.

She was still an Old God worshiping, hostile force trying to wipe out the other species on Pandaria.

Garrosh has no reason to hate the Alliance, and his overly hotblooded and unexplained temper is an embarrassment
    The Alliance are what he blames for his people living in a wasteland.

He comes back to "his" people, to find them living in a place that is essentially an extension of "The Barrens" with a lush forest on their doorstep, Thrall essentially left his people in poverty to avoid aggravating the alliance.

It was a decent bit of story, showing up a nice negative quality of Thrall's while giving Garrosh a reason to ramp up hostilities, but then Blizzard seemed to throw the towel in when it came to subtlety and just turned Garrosh into a brainless idiot during late Cata / MOP. INFUSING ORCS WITH THE SHA? THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA! etc

The problem I'm having with Garrosh just being garrosh is how is one orc as angry as he is supposed to withstand the complete and total onslaught of 10 or 25 other well seasoned well trained combatants? I mean we've downed gods, Dragons, ThunderKings etc etc etc. Now there's this orc sitting there just spouting off at the handle. I mean so?? I think Voljin and Baine alone could take Garrosh. Unless the fight is just wave after wave of add's coming in to help him this whole fight isn't going to make much sense.

+ Reply to Thread