+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trinket Trouble

Trinket Trouble

Hi everybody! o/ </drnick>

So I've recently (3 weeks and change ago) gotten my Death Knight up to level 90 and switched mains from Warlock to it in an effort to help my guild out by taking the damage instead of dishing it out. A few tidbits of information about my situation:

1) I raid in a strictly 10-man guild, and if we get past normal then it'd have to be if we have time left this tier, which is unlikely given the size of our raiding squad and the way we rotate
    2) I'm currently sitting on 1063 VP
    3)I just came from my first guild run of ToT as the second tank together with a Paladin (out of a pool of him, squishier Paladin, Warrior and DK with Blood offspec) and am not really facing any major problems that cannot be attributed to general inexperience on tanking these fights. Neither threat nor survivability is really an issue up to Durumu, who we're still getting the hang of.
    4) This is my armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Dedhunt/advanced

N
    ow my question is the following: Assuming nothing useful drops from LFR this week (can't really rely on something that random), what would be the most effective use of my Valor Points be going forward the next few weeks?
    I'm personally thinking Trinkets are the way to go, but that would beg the question which ones to go for. The SPA one seems like the obvious best choice here, and my current plan was to grab that one first, waiting until next week to either go for the Shado-Pan or Dominance Offensive trinket. However, picking one of the two is proving tricky as on the one hand it's difficult to resist the lure of Stamina (which is not on the SPA trinket) but on the other there's a substantial difference between the Mastery I'd get from Lao-Chin's and the Medallion of Mystifying Vapors.

Also, which of my current trinkets should I replace first? Because a case could be made for either trinket by looking at overall usefulness versus raw item level.

And lastly, looking over the rest of the Shado-Pan Assault's VP gear, how much should I value Armor and Stamina as factors in determining whether or not an item is a clear upgrade for me? Because for instance the cloak hardly seems worth the VP cost if all I'd be gaining is 70 Armor and a couple hundred Stamina at the cost of 480 Mastery in favor of more hit that I do not need. Also, is it me or are some pieces just really badly itemised for DK tanks? What with the tank Chest having an inexplicable Strength socket bonus and the DPS belt looking better for tanking?

Personally, I'd vote replacing the Dodge trinket; I'm not a huge fan of the pure avoidance trinkets for other than gimmick fights i.e. Baleroc (however the hell you spell it) and H DS Gunship (forget the name of that boss Warmaster Blackhorn?) where avoidance came in handy to avoid the big hit or causes some misses so you could drop stacks.

That said, I'm really healing mostly this xpac, although I've picked up tanking again, and I have to say for some reason our DK tank gets slammed on Durumu, the spike damage is insane (kind of like the ICC days) compared to our monk or bear tank. Don't know if you're finding that too.

bearing in mind that I onlhy really had about 20 minutes on him last night I did find that there was quite a bit of spike damage going around. We worked around it with the other tank being a Paladin who could drop his own stacks so he was on Durumu duty most of the time.

ok now my interest is piqued. My group isn't on Durumu yet but I like to research ahead. And we have a Pally/DK combo for the tanks aswell. Is the dk spike issue a problem of when u have 5 stacks of the healing debuff u cant heal yourself enough to get a big enough bubble? And the pally is he/she using a Clemancy/Blessing of Protection combo to drop off stacks?

I don't think it's that (although it could be), it's just hurty + hard to heal. But I just paid close attention to the timing of the hard stare (which is what causes the spike) and made sure that I had a CD plan for it. VB for 2, symbiosis-stand to cover 3, IBF to cover 4-5 (well timed CDs can cover two stares).

As to trinkets, I like 1 stam, 1 mastery (and I see from the OPs armory that he got a soul barrier and the SPA trinket, so that should be fine).

stand to cover, um whats that and what gives it. When a resto buffs me I get Might of Ursoc. I don't have a stam trink that's better than my 489/496 mastery trinkets. (LFR hasn't been kind to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    ok now my interest is piqued. My group isn't on Durumu yet but I like to research ahead. And we have a Pally/DK combo for the tanks aswell. Is the dk spike issue a problem of when u have 5 stacks of the healing debuff u cant heal yourself enough to get a big enough bubble? And the pally is he/she using a Clemancy/Blessing of Protection combo to drop off stacks?
    We ended up using both during various attempts - our most successful one was achieved by having the Paladin use HoP, though before that it wasn't spike damage on me that caused the wipes so much as people dying and other beams focusing on either me or other people in my beam. To be honest I was doing fine by using my cooldowns on the other attempts, Death Strike kind of drops off as a reliable defensive cooldown, but between all my other toys I had more than enough to keep myself going. It was also only the beams that were the big problem as outside of those the damage was quite manageable.

As to trinkets, I like 1 stam, 1 mastery (and I see from the OPs armory that he got a soul barrier and the SPA trinket, so that should be fine).
    Yeah, that problem managed to sort itself quite nicely by Lei Shen coughing up a Soul Barrier

stand to cover, um whats that and what gives it. When a resto buffs me I get Might of Ursoc. I don't have a stam trink that's better than my 489/496 mastery trinkets. (LFR hasn't been kind to me)
    I think he might be referring to Last Stand, a warrior ability that does the exact same thing as Might of Ursoc

Indeed. I main a DK now but I still refer to IBF as shield wall and the symbiosis effect as Last Stand.

I too have had no luck with stamina trinkets, I'm using the shadow pan stamina trinket and the shadow pan assault mastery trinket until I get a soul barrier, but it has been perfectly fine for clearing all normal modes.

We went in on Wednesday and one shotted Durumu and Primordius, took down Animus and ran out of raid time. We used two monk tanks and damage not near as bad on Durumu. Going over the old logs, I think our DK has issues with using cooldowns - Bone Shield once in the fight, Vamp Blood once, AMS never, IBF once (could have just been a time issue), etc. Me thinks he likes to make the healers work.

yea saving up my valor for either the chest or pants. never really was a big fan of use ability trinkets. Probably not the best build for a dk but I prefer avoidance build while progressing. Allows for higher survivable and lets healers focus on other members of the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    We went in on Wednesday and one shotted Durumu and Primordius, took down Animus and ran out of raid time. We used two monk tanks and damage not near as bad on Durumu. Going over the old logs, I think our DK has issues with using cooldowns - Bone Shield once in the fight, Vamp Blood once, AMS never, IBF once (could have just been a time issue), etc. Me thinks he likes to make the healers work.
    Ofc....wouldn't healers get bored if the had to not work for it. IBF u can glyph for it to put it a 1.5 min CD. And not having Bone Shield up....I dunno man that's a biggy, its a 20% dmg redux if u have atleast 1 charge up. Granted its on a 1 min cd

Ofc....wouldn't healers get bored if the had to not work for it. IBF u can glyph for it to put it a 1.5 min CD. And not having Bone Shield up....I dunno man that's a biggy, its a 20% dmg redux if u have atleast 1 charge up. Granted its on a 1 min cd
    If healers are bored one of them can go DPS.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    On Durumu I'd worry more about him not using DRW than AMS. The main reason being that Big Willy doesn't do all that much magic damage and as such I only really pop it if I need to run through a beam during the spectrum phase and even then only to prevent the debuff from being applied.As for the fight itself, we have it on farm now and the main breakthrough we had in keeping the tanks alive was not having the one tanking Durumu in a beam on the spectrum phase. Aside from that, I just chain cooldowns after the first Stare (Trinket, DRW, Icebound which I don't glyph for this fight, ERW, Pact, Vamp) depending on what's available at the time and haven't had a problem yet in sticking it out until the fourth stack, at which point we switch. I try to save Vamp. Blood for the last part to help out with the healing.Taunting on four stacks nicely coincides with the phase changes generally as well, although that's because we seem to have just the right amount of DPS to have the spectrum phase last about a minute. I tend to keep Army on hand for emergencies, but find it's rarely needed.

+ Reply to Thread