+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - Account-Wide Everything?

The Weekly Marmot - Account-Wide Everything?

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I had a kind of zany idea about leveling alts: if you have a max-level character, perhaps you should be allowed to pick up quests at a lower level than you could the first time through. So, instead of having to be level 76 before anyone will talk to you in Sholazar Basin, you could go in at level 73 on your alts.

lol at the subliminal text

This whole Main vs Alt characters is one of the main reason I like playing FFXIV. I do not like being forced to make Alts to be able to play different classes, or to learn all the various professions. I get quite attached to my first and main character, so FFXIV allows me to play all classes, and all crafting and gathering professions + get achievements all on 1 character

If WOW would allow me to let my character Xenosaga to play all classes and do all professions on her, I would probably come back to WOW in a heartbeat. But since XIV ARR is the only MMORPG allowing this fun class/profession system, it will be my main MMO

A full round of Isle of Thunder dailies awards 30 charms. Back when the requirement was 90 charms, this meant you only had to do dailies three days in the week to meet your mark. Now that it's down to 50 charms, I don't really think alts need that much more help to get charms -- especially since they are not necessary for 'casual' progression (you only ever get gold or duplicate items, right?).

I'm a little concerned about changing the valor of the ancients buff to be an aggregate in place of the current system. For example, does this now mean the most effective way to cap valor is to run a random heroic + random scenario on each of your alts first (since you get double valor for the first run of the day for each)?

From a mathematical standpoint:

Your Main = 1000 valor, 50 charms
    Subsequent Alts = 667 valor (667 * 1.5 = 1k), 50 charms

I personally cap my main's valor first and do my main's dailies for charms on Tue+Wed. I don't do any dailies on my alts until later in the week -- that way, the valor that I earn from doing the dailies also gets the 1.5x boost. I run my LFRs for my main early in the week, then run the LFRs for my alts after my main is capped (90 valor * 4 wings * 1.5 = 540 valor). Once again, the 1.5x boost means my alts get more than half their valor cap just by delaying their LFRs until my main is capped.

If people believe that the effort required for an alt is too much, then quantify it! How much 'valor effort' should it take for your alt to hit the 1000 valor cap? Is 667 too much? Should it be only 500? How much 'charms effort' should it take for your alt to hit the 50 charm threshold? Are 1.5 days of Isle dailies too much? Should it only be 25 charms so it takes less than a full round of Isle dailies? Quantify it.

Speaking for myself, I maintain four level 90 toons for 'casual' raiding. I would say that my greatest time sink isn't earning 3000 valor or 200 charms -- it's running 16 LFRs. I earn the valor and charms while waiting in 16 queues.

-HP

Before 5.2 I would have said rep being account wide would have be awesome, but now that the pvp gear is easier to get than VP, it would be useless now since you wouldn't waste your VP on the rep items.

Capping valor is a huge pain in the ass for me since I would have to cap 8 lvl 90's(soon to be 11), having the valor buff go off of an account wide total earned would be awesome, even if it was something like 2000 valor across all characters or 1000 on one.

As for your big announcement, I'm going to guess you are moving or having a baby, and I don't know why I'm thinking this. Maybe its because around here, people's big announcement are usually them having a baby... >.>

Quote Originally Posted by hp2 View Post
    Speaking for myself, I maintain four level 90 toons for 'casual' raiding. I would say that my greatest time sink isn't earning 3000 valor or 200 charms -- it's running 16 LFRs. I earn the valor and charms while waiting in 16 queues.

-HP
    First off wow, secondly you left casual a long time ago. Now are you BL or paragon hardcore no, but to do all that puts you at hardcore wow player and raider. As Lore has said before, a true causal wouldn't even worry with capping out on valor and charms.

A full a round of IoT dailies 2 and half times a week. doesn't sound bad, untill you get to what type of server you are on? I unfortunately am on a pvp realm, my friends choose it not me. I've just been to lazy and broke to move. Plus my raiding buddies are there. However, If I can get in wam blam thank you maam my dailies. 30 minutes tops and I've gotten all those dailies, and weekly quests done. Though I really don't do the weekly ones that much anymore. Yet there are other days where the Horde are being their typical annoying selves, and I can't get a daily done there to save my life. Has gotten better since everything has been opened up on my realm.

Ugh i'm rambling. what I"m trying to say is not everyone has the time to run 16 lfrs, or spam heroics, dailies, and/or pet battles. But they want to play on alts. I'm one of them. Now I don't want things handed to me on a platter, though that would be cool, but I also don't want to spend all my time on WoW as if I'm at a job.

Now if blizzard would like to do their thing and "copy" *cough*steal*cough* an idea from bioware like *cough*companion characters.*cough* Oh man i need a recola, halls or something. Then yeah that would certainly help on lvling up professions. Don't even have to make them into pet like characters. Could just be npcs that are in a specific place, but you can open up a menu and tell them to make this, or go farm that. lol even doing *cough*mission quests*cough* ugh my throat to in return get you crafting rewards and/or charms eh eh EH. Then hey there's something that is fire and forget.

Yeah I'm Swtor fan, i'm not playing atm because of time and monetary restraints. So I choose to stay on wow and play with my friends there. However, there are alot of good features in Swtor that one take the grind out of your hands, and two lessens the grinds that come with alts.

Reverse the image coming to your screen and it becomes a mirror. Should make shaving a lot easier

I would do a whole lot more dailies (and be a lot happier about them) if I could give my main Lesser Charms from my alts. If I could take my Mage alt to do dailies (giving me rep access and vp for meeting ilvl checks for LFR quickly on my mage) and use the Lesser Charms I earn on my Monk main, I'd be a happy camper.

Valor of the Ancients just doesn't work at all. Maybe if it started working at 500 VP? Or when you've earned 100 VP on your main each day? I don't know how to fix VP, they're a real sticking point. About the only thing you can really do to fix it is increase acquisition rate, but that means one-toon players run out of stuff to do even faster. Maybe if you only buffed the acquisition rate in current tier normal/heroic raids. 40 VP for a boss kill still seems pretty low. That way, its really only raiding mains that benefit. If there's a lot of QQ about casuals being forced into normal/heroic raids, then you could buff LFR too. LFR already takes a long time for valor points because of wipes and just general length of fights.

A full round of Isle of Thunder dailies awards 30 charms. Back when the requirement was 90 charms, this meant you only had to do dailies three days in the week to meet your mark. Now that it's down to 50 charms, I don't really think alts need that much more help to get charms -- especially since they are not necessary for 'casual' progression (you only ever get gold or duplicate items, right?).
    Seriously? First of all, some of us can't stand dailies, even one or two hours of them. Even at 50, my main is lucky to get capped on Charms. With 12+ hours/week for raiding, and tacking on another 3+hours of dailies (back when it was 90), LFR runs for tier, and VP capping on my main, I simply run out of time to do *anything at all* on my alts, let alone get Charms with them.

Making Lesser Charms account bound (but keep the Mogu/Elder charms character-bound, please) would be a nice change, but valor points need to come faster if we really want to escape the "Alt-unfriendly" expansion.

As of now I have 7 toons at 90, with 6 more to level; of those 2 are at over 505 ilvl and are raiding ToT; ther others are at various stages of gearing.

I love alts, but I also disliked that you could max level, chain heroics and be raiding in a couple days. I like picking which alt I'm going to focus on. I have my main, my Holy Pally, then it's a matter of what I want to play. The hunter was next, then the shammy, etc.

If anything, I've learned patience with this xpac; "There is no hurry". I don't kill myself to cap valor on every alt every week; I cap my main then start running the alts, it's kind of whatever I feel like playing that week. The world won't end if one of my alts has to wait a week to get a piece of gear. In fact, I know that pretty soon, I'll make a push to get my druid to 90 which is at 87 and the other alts will have to wait.

I don't think that Valour of the Ancients is broken. If anything's broken it's the mindset of players who can't focus on one character to max their valour and then move on to alts. It takes me two evenings to max leaving five days to work on alts so it's not that big a deal.

Two things I'd really like to see account wide are reputation and Spirits of Harmony...and other crafting mats of that nature.

The main reason behind me wanting to see account wide rep is that I put a lot of working on getting exalted with the various reputations but not long into MoP I changed mains and it would be nice to carry that on with my new main. While some may see an issue with it considering how rep is working in MoP I think it would actually aid in what Lore is getting at...helping out alts while still requiring them to grind to a certain extent. After all, while they may not have to do the rep grind they'd still have to get the valour to make the purchases that rep currently offers.

Like Lore, I'm also working on three nineties and I did not find myself having to work rep on my alts to get geared for LFR entry iLevels so I really don't think account wide reputation would have that much of an impact.
    Last edited by Theliana; 04-29-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theliana View Post
    I don't think that Valour of the Ancients is broken. If anything's broken it's the mindset of players who can't focus on one character to max their valour and then move on to alts. It takes me two evenings to max leaving five days to work on alts so it's not that big a deal.
    12 bosses in ToT = 480 VP, we raid friday to monday on the EU schedule, which leaves me the options of a) only do alts on Tuesday or b) cap VP on my main before the raids, basicly 'wasting' even more time doing dailies in the start of the week. Either way Valour of Ancients is not an interesting mechanic for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

One issue I have with the concept of "account wide" is that in some cases, it is only server wide. Although i wish server integrity would have remained intact, it is increasingly not the case. Accepting this reality, wouldn't it be nice if, for example, BoA gear could be accessed on another server?

Perhaps this doesn't meet an overwhelming demand, but I occasionally enjoy starting an alt on a fresh server, just for alt level play (for example, leveling up a character on a pvp server while my main exists on a pve server). Mounts and pets are truly account wide, but that is where it stops. Perhaps what we need is an account-wide bank tab. A place where we can put items accessible to our alts, game-wide. This could include BoA items, common crafting materials, possibly even crafted items such as flasks, and perhaps even BoE gear (topping off, currently, at the 450 item level).

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    12 bosses in ToT = 480 VP, we raid friday to monday on the EU schedule, which leaves me the options of a) only do alts on Tuesday or b) cap VP on my main before the raids, basicly 'wasting' even more time doing dailies in the start of the week. Either way Valour of Ancients is not an interesting mechanic for me.
    I don't think I have ever had Valor of the Ancients before Tuesday. I refuse to spend Wednesday and Thursday spamming LFR and LFR and dailies to cap my paladin before doing anything on the Druid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tramz View Post
    One issue I have with the concept of "account wide" is that in some cases, it is only server wide. Although i wish server integrity would have remained intact, it is increasingly not the case. Accepting this reality, wouldn't it be nice if, for example, BoA gear could be accessed on another server?

Perhaps this doesn't meet an overwhelming demand, but I occasionally enjoy starting an alt on a fresh server, just for alt level play (for example, leveling up a character on a pvp server while my main exists on a pve server). Mounts and pets are truly account wide, but that is where it stops. Perhaps what we need is an account-wide bank tab. A place where we can put items accessible to our alts, game-wide. This could include BoA items, common crafting materials, possibly even crafted items such as flasks, and perhaps even BoE gear (topping off, currently, at the 450 item level).
    I believe that the issue is that mounts and pets are spells, which don't require any special considerations for being account wide, while BoAs, mats, etc. are items and do require special considerations.

For the 1000VP buff, unless someone comes with a brilliant idea the options are:
    a) If you have alts, jump between them for 1 dungeon/scenario per day until you cap
    b) Cap with your main before considering go for your alts

Personally I would rather choose (a), I don't like random dungeons so I give up run them, 7 minutes per alt (scenario) each day is not a big deal for me.

There was a big surge towards the end of Cataclysm.., aye, a big surge in subscriptions being cancelled, because the game at that point, wasn't an mmorpg. it was an advanced farmville!

If people view alts as only worth while if their able to get fully decked characters in the drop of a hat, then the game might as well revert to Cataclysm n' boost drops in every aspect, or.., they might as well rip out everything that the game was built on, and allow one character to play all specs, and have max professions swapping at will.

Though blizzard will also have to accept the fact, that the constant catering to the absolutely lowest nominator, will cost subscriptions, that won't be hauled in by having that form of advanced farmville gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisredstar View Post
    First off wow, secondly you left casual a long time ago.
    Yeah, that's why I put it in quotes. My raiding guild is casual in the sense that they do not expect players to run LFR (the raid leader doesn't) or max out everything. I just wanted to put in perspective that if you're running 16 LFRs, getting 3000 valor and 200 charms in the queue downtime isn't the deal breaker. Furthermore, since my raiding environment is casual, if I fail to run all the LFRs, cap valor, or max charms, it isn't going to break my guild's progression and let down the other nine people in my raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighterrant81 View Post
    First of all, some of us can't stand dailies, even one or two hours of them. Even at 50, my main is lucky to get capped on Charms. With 12+ hours/week for raiding, and tacking on another 3+hours of dailies (back when it was 90), LFR runs for tier, and VP capping on my main, I simply run out of time to do *anything at all* on my alts, let alone get Charms with them.
    This is why I said that people need to *quantify* what they want. 'Back in the day', what differentiated hardcore raiders from other players was the time spent roaming Felwood to get whipper root tubers and nightdragon's breath; time spent killing mobs in Blasted Lands for buff items (I forgot what they were) and similar activities -- these were time consuming activities that produced questionable benefits. I will gladly trade the time spent back then constantly farming consumables (chain potting mana potions for 10% wipe after wipe really irked me) for today's system: valor and charms produce actual loot. Dailies and pet battles are far superior than running to nodes I had memorized in Felwood or killing mobs in Blasted Lands. Quantify how much extra effort you want to spend on your characters and quantify the rewards they should get for it. Remember, there has to be some *measurable* effort to differentiate hardcore players from less hardcore players. If Blizzard gave us 1000 valor, 50 charms, food, potions, and flasks in the mail at the start of each week, then the only differentiation between hardcore players would be the time spent in the raid instance with 24 (or nine) other people. By having you earn your valor, charms, food, potions, flasks, and LFR upgrades/off-spec gear outside the organized guild raid on your own *individual* time, then players can differentiate themselves through personal effort.

As a side note Lore, one advantage to having multiple alts at level 90 is that I got cooking school bells on three of them. I just have to log on once a day, pop all three bells, and I am swimming in 300 stat food and Ironpaw tokens so that I can just buy materials for more 300 stat food if needed.

-HP

Remember, there has to be some *measurable* effort to differentiate hardcore players from less hardcore players.
    And here I thought what differentiated them was the ability to down content.

This concept of "time spent" being what separates the different types of players is bunk. (If anything, the attraction of getting in a good raid team is to spend LESS time dicking about.) Folks can try to paint it all sorts of different colors to try to make it seem so noble or something, but it's just a timesink. That's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    And here I thought what differentiated them was the ability to down content.

This concept of "time spent" being what separates the different types of players is bunk. (If anything, the attraction of getting in a good raid team is to spend LESS time dicking about.) Folks can try to paint it all sorts of different colors to try to make it seem so noble or something, but it's just a timesink. That's all it is.
    Oh but you are looking at is like a one-dimensional graph when it is multi-dimensional. One thing is skill, other is time-spent, maybe this are the bigger factors but there are others. Hardcore as the word comes to my mind is more related to what hp2 says, not to the more skilled, in practice it is a bit of both.

+ Reply to Thread