+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asking for help on Horridon 10N

Asking for help on Horridon 10N

First off, I'd like to thank those that took the time to help others progress on Horridon. Your suggestions to them have helped my guild progress smoothly (nearly) every time through doors 1 and 2 (and partly on door 3). However, we're getting quite frustrated now, seeing lesser-geared guilds down this boss before us. I've been able to glean some meaningful info from the logs, but I'm still learning so I'm probably missing many things that would help even more.

I was hoping I could get a little help by having someone look at our logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/268116/

I'm not just looking for an answer though. I'm definitely here to learn. If you use the expression editor, please tell me the arguments you included to get your info. I'd especially like to learn how to use it to figure out how to determine what abilities are killing raid members, when dispells are going out, etc.

We've got some good raiders on this team, but I have a feeling we could all use a little outside help.

Here's our strategy:

Door 1: Single target the wastewalkers, interrupt stonegazers when possible. Jump on Dinomancer til 50% and click orb. Clean up the remaining mobs.
    Door 2: Same. Pop offensive CD's to bring down the priests.
    Door 3: Same. Tanks are starting to move the frozen lords off to the door 2 side, which is good. Had an incident with Army of the dead taunt-rooting the lords (and the dinomancer) all on top of four frozen orbs. Learned from it.
    Door 4: We haven't really been here much, maybe 2-3 times, but our plan is to hit the bear > shaman, bear > shaman, etc.

The RL is adamant about saving hero until last phase, which I understand, though I've seen some advice suggesting to blow it on door 3.

If anyone could offer some help on all this, we'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have time at the moment to look at the logs as I'm leaving for work soon but honestly I would try your best to talk your raid leader into at least trying hero on door 3 once or twice. Also, have your range stack up somewhere away from where the orbs will be dropped and put your ret pally on door 3 just killing the small adds as unless people are standing in orbs, the roughest part of this door is the disease. Door 4 fairly easy and you can once again have range stack up away from where the totems will be dropped. The only thing you have to make sure with having people stack is that if someone gets charge they get out of the group so only they have to move and that the tanks don't trap everyone with orbs and totems. Once you get through all 4 doors it's basically a kill. Everyone should have all of their cd's up for jalakk. Pop everything and burn and he should go down very fast. Just a few things that helped my guild out.

What makes the pally better at taking the small adds than the other two melee?
    Last edited by Kinaen; 04-22-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Clarity

Well he won't really be tanking them since they have no threat table, it's just a matter of assigning someone to kill them with all the range and healers stacked up. Best to put a melee on it since they won't have to worry about the frozen orbs that way however you could have whichever of your 3 melee you think would be able to kill them fastest. That said i'd suggest having the pally do it that way he can pay attention to who is being hit by them and help your healers with dispels on the disease easier and I believe he is also the only one of the 3 with a stun so he could stun one of them every once in a while just for a slight damage reduction also. However, both of those reasons are fairly negligible so if you have a melee that is taking damage from frozen orbs more than the other 2 have them do it.

Alternatively have the prot warrior tank the 3rd door, Mocking banner once the final pair of Frozen Champions jump down. Does require a bit of placement, but if done right everything bar horridon will go for the warrior allowing a mass cleavage situation, the warrior just has to move the pile out of orbs,

I don't use the expression editor usually, I use Deaths Overview and go through on a try by try basis, it gives you the last 3 damage hits someone took before dying and by clicking on more you get a mini combat log so can see what heals they got, how long they stood in shit, and what buffs they had when they died. Take the last try (8) Esconida, only source of damage he's taking for 20s before he dies is Blazing Sunlight, which should be dispelled, you have 3 healers and at most 3 waste walkers up, so he straight up died becuase healers, either wasted their dispels dispelling the stun, or thought they could heal through the dot, or just didn't notice it, Healers fault. Luckily He got Rezzed but died again later, stood in a what looks to be 3 living poison pools at once, and too almost 300K in nearly a second. That is his fault, Blazing Sunlight's unavoidable damage, Living pools aint.

I do pay attention to when you lose a tank early and then go look at Buffs gained buffs cast and look to see what CDs they had up before they died and if they're managing their active mitigation properly. If they arent i go look to see on other tries if its a one off. your tanks do seem to be trying to time stuff. but i'm not sure they're always getting it. the DKs pretty flakey on it. Sometimes he gets it great, sometimes he doesn't, He's also not very good at using DS to pick himslef up if he drops low on health and his bone shield is slow to go back up. The warrior is rather good at timing his shield barriers to counter Triple punctures but really he shouldn't be relying so heavily on SHield barrier, I kinda get the feeling he's trying to compete on HPS with the DK. THing is that warrior want to use shield block on CD most of the time just for the huge smoothing effect it has and then either use Sbar to cover the gaps (which is difficult) or try to layer it over for big hits (and you won't get all of them because we just don't have the resources).
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Thanks for the help. I was wondering if you or anyone found anything I could improve on (Kinaen)? I (and others) might make it difficult sometimes as I tend to stand in stuff to wipe up an encounter.

Also, I've seen some Horridon videos from an enhance PoV, but does anyone know of any boss-by-boss guides geared towards my spec?

What I'd like to do personally is make it my responsibility to focus-interrupt as many mobs as possible. However, my target macros often target corpses because I'm not too good at the macro syntax. Any suggestions here as well?

/target [nodead] randombastard

you're not going o be able to get every interupt there's just too many mobs to be able to do it on your tod,
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Thanks for the macro.

I need to do a bit more research on what I can do with macros apart from /tar and other basic commands.

Being a shaman (enh especially) there just aren't many useful ones out there, and there will be one less as soon as Lightning Bolt becomes castable while moving in 5.3.

I remember using macros profusely on my lowbie war though, but it's been years since I've played him. I've just fallen out of practice I guess.

try using an addon like Clique. you can set your interrupt to a mouse action, like middle-click. then /focus the target you want to interrupt (say the third Venom Priest), and be sure you can see your focus target's cast bar. then it's just a matter of middle-clicking his focus frame when he starts to cast.

be sure your healers can see Rending Charge (i had to manually add it to Vuhdo). even thought they can't do anything about it, they know that targets needs big heals.

healers should use big cooldowns (tranq/HTT) often, as there is nothing to save them for later.

definitely start using heroism when the 2nd & 3rd warlord drop. it really helps to clean up this door and get a good transition to the fourth. heroism on war god is nice, but optional. maybe talk your RL into it by saying you can use hero on the third door just to practice more on the fourth door.

bears will be a problem with your melee-heavy comp because the cleaves will just about 1-shot you. i would recommend after the first bear dies that your ranged stays on bears while your melee moves to shaman.

oh, and glyph army :O

I already have my focus-interrupt macro bound to my "5" button on my naga mouse, and for this fight I don't use elemental mastery, so that clears up my mouse's SHIFT+"2" button for my focus target macro (I have 28 keybinds on that thing alone and I still need more...). I really don't like to click on things in combat (or at all). I never know exactly where my cursor is, and I know I'd miss it several times when I needed it.

Thanks for the advice on everything, though. I will definitely relay those tips to my raid this weekend.

I'm always open to more advice, so if anyone has something to share, feel free!

+ Reply to Thread