+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Horridon adds and Warrior tanking

Tengenstein:
    I tend to save mocking banner for the 3rd door where adds from the door have no aggro table.
    Tengenstein:
    Like I said i only use it on the third door, becuase the Risen adds there don't have an aggro table, so being able to taunt all of them constantly keeps the diseases from being all over the place and groups them up for Maximum Cleavage by our DPS.
    Hi Teng. My guild and I are going to be progressing on Horridon hc tomorrow and I was just wondering whether you could confirm that mocking banner DOES indeed taunt the Risen adds (that fixate randoms) on the 3rd door?

I've had a look at a number of different sites, with differing views on whether it does or doesn't work. Could go in and check myself, however we've cleared ToT (1/13hc progress atm) this lockout and have to wait til tomorrow.

Would just be nice to go at it knowing whether I can start add tanking first door or 2nd door.

I have no idea if it works on HC.

On normal it seems like it forces them to target you everytime it pulses, what happens in between the pulses is that they behave as normal, going for random targets, its by no means an "I win button" and its lack or range really limits its once the frost orbsstart going down and the raid moves away from the door.

its a 3 minute CD, you can arguable use it on all the doors your tanking assuming you tank alternate doors and don't have a pally bubble tanking Horridon.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

as a warrior who's done horridon HC, i can confirm the adds on the 3rd door ARE NOT AFFECTED by mocking banner.

another point: mocking banner will pick up adds on the 4th door EXCEPT the shamans that get knocked off the warbears.
    You never go full Rickotron.

Druid trees (Force of Nature) in guardian are broken, last I checked, because they have so little health that they taunt once and stuff kills them. Admittedly, I haven't checked in a bit, because they're on the tier that has Soul of the Forest and Incarnation on it, and you would never not pick one of those two. Supposedly in 5.3 they're changing it up again to be one tree with more health, similar to a DK ghoul I guess, but right now... not really worth trying on a raid level unless you know you're not going to get the thing down.

The trick of getting the third door down is to not spread out - liberal use of CCs and sticking together so the adds don't run all over the place is what got us through it.

Hrm. Question, though, weird idea -- if the Mocking banner forces mobs to attack the warrior, what about using a DPS warrior to stand all the way out by, say, Horridon, throwing a MB in the middle of the D shaped floor tiles, and using the transit time to help burn them down faster? Or is MB only available in Prot spec?

-Tielyn

Quote Originally Posted by reasonyousmile View Post
    as a warrior who's done horridon HC, i can confirm the adds on the 3rd door ARE NOT AFFECTED by mocking banner.

another point: mocking banner will pick up adds on the 4th door EXCEPT the shamans that get knocked off the warbears.
    Thanks for confirming this, interesting to know that the Shamans aren't taunted by it. Doesn't make a huge difference I don't think, I don't have any trouble picking up adds, banner on 3rd door fixating adds would have been nice to reduce the amount of adds running all over. Guess we'll just have to stack a bit more there and burn them down.

For what it's worth, I was tanking this fight the other night and used Mocking Banner while keeping an eye on Omen and at least to me, it appears to be a fixate rather than a true threat modifying taunt. This was LFR and we had some big aggro whores, so as soon as the 6 second fixate was over, the adds were back to hammering the casters. I could be wrong, but that's what it felt like.

mocking banner is a fixate.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

To answer the OP's question, I drop it right before the 2nd set of adds drop (2 wastewalkers, for example).

I'll drop the banner 1-2 seconds before they drop down, and then taunt the one that's closes to me. I place the banner such that:

a) the 2nd mob that drops down will naturally run across it and start running towards me, and
    b) any mobs coming out of the door will do the same thing.

Our general strategy is that the ranged and healers are never to put themselves between me and the door. We always move towards the next door when we have to move, so I tend to place the banner on a line that's roughly a 45 degree angle from the door (towards tne next door). Meaning, if you were walking out of the door, you'd turn left 45 degrees, and then walk straight, and you would eventually find my banner.

It changes based upon the fight, but this is good for 2 reasons:

1. I don't have to do as much work, which is always a good thing, and
    2. I don't have to move to pick up mobs while we're trying to burn those adds down. This means the melee get to sit and bring the pain.

+ Reply to Thread