+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Horridon adds and Warrior tanking

Horridon adds and Warrior tanking

Wen it come time for me to tank the adds on Horridon,i figure Ill need to use Mocking banner to round them all up.Problem is Im still trying to figure where to place the banner,since some come from the middle,left,and right side.Could I get some help on this plz

Charge one group, thunder clap, then heroic leap to the next group, shockwave, then charge the next one and thunderclap again. Taunt/charge adds that ignore you as needed.

That's what I would do. Mocking banner isn't a great idea on boss fights if you're close to the boss IMHO. Too much risk of taunting the boss on accident.

I tend to save mocking banner for the 3rd door where adds from the door have no aggro table. If DPS are sticking to the kill order, you should be fine with a standard AoE rotation and charging around.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltranger View Post
    Mocking banner isn't a great idea on boss fights if you're close to the boss IMHO. Too much risk of taunting the boss on accident.
    Raid bosses are immune to pet taunts, mocking banner included.

Vigilance isn't a bad talent to pick up for that fight since when the adds get really crazy you basically get infinite taunts.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Raid bosses are immune to pet taunts, mocking banner included.
    I did not know this, thank you. I assumed that it was like our regular taunt. The more you know!

Usually we put Horridon well out of Mocking banner range,but still,where would be a good area to place it

By it do you mean Horridon or the Mocking Banner?
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

about 30 yards away from where you are, either where adds spawn, or where a threaty healer is.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Slight sidebar: I would be interested to test out mocking banner one day when I get to levelling my warrior again. If it is anything like mocking blow used to be, it isn't even a real taunt at all (it would be a pure fixate like mocking blow/challenging shout/challenging roar used to be when they were in the game). Fixates don't actually generate threat, they just force an enemy to attack them. A taunt has a fixate as one of its components, but it actually modifies threat too. I don't know offhand what the mechanics of a pet taunt are, but they seem to actually modify threat in some fashion (well against targets that they work on), however, that is just observation without actual testing (on the part of pets at least).

As far as I've been able to test/observe, it seems to be working as a pet taunt actually, only directed to you instead of the Banner, but I haven't had time to really go into it's finer mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    As far as I've been able to test/observe, it seems to be working as a pet taunt actually, only directed to you instead of the Banner, but I haven't had time to really go into it's finer mechanics.
    Based on my limited use of the banner, it does taunt them to you, but I haven't checked to see if they will continue o attack you once the banner disappears. I know for a fact that a TC and a few revenge hits and the mobs will stay, but I don't think they will if you don't aoe. I'm assuming they took challenging shout and made it a banner, which would make it a "hey hit me for 10 seconds, then go back to the other guy when the banner goes away" type thing.

it is a true taunt, except bosses tend to be immune to it.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    it is a true taunt, except bosses tend to be immune to it.
    Well that's pretty neat then. Makes it easier on warriors to pick up adds now.

Like I said i only use it on the third door, becuase the Risen adds there don't have an aggro table, so being able to taunt all of them constantly keeps the diseases from being all over the place and groups them up for Maximum Cleavage by our DPS. the other doors shouldn't be a problem if ranged don't spread all over the place and DPS stick to the kill order. cos lets face it, warriors have one of the most powerful sustained AoE toolboxes
    MoP RPS Calculator

So I asked a warrior guildie to help me test mocking banner and found that it does NOT act like a traditional taunt and I am not convinced it acts like a pet taunt either.

In my test, I built a significant amount of threat (kinda pointless for this test but just did), had a warrior toss mocking banner to attract the mob but do absolutely nothing else. I also performed no actions during this time. 6 seconds after the mocking blow banner dissipated, the debuff wore off and the mob ran right back to me. A real taunt would not result in this situation. It appears to be merely a fixate. I don't *think* pet taunts are pure fixates. I think their taunts actually do modify threat but I would need to test that. However, mocking banner does not appear to affect actual threat levels.

No dots, buffs, healing etc. was used in the test. I made sure to wait long periods just make sure threat was stable between transitions of target. No procs occurred on the warrior or myself during the test.
    Last edited by jere; 04-18-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Well that's Good to know. I'll have to go update the guide now.

EDIT: or not as apparently i thought it was a Fixate when i originally wrote the guide...
    MoP RPS Calculator

well, hunter pet taunts and AotD/GEE work differently. AotD and the like ARE fixates and they just have a long duration/short cooldown, it's impossible to pull "real" threat off them b/c they always fixate, I believe... But this doesn't work on bosses.

Regardless of if it is a "taunt" or a "fixate" pet/minion aggro abilities do not make bosses attack them, same goes for mocking banner. You are correct it IS a fixate.

Throw down a war banner within 30 yards that forces all enemies within 15 yards of the banner to focus attacks on the Warrior for 6 sec. Lasts 30 sec.

But ya, I'm pretty sure Mocking Banner doesn't affect bosses.

Edit: NVM I guess AotD is taunts as well.............

IDK, POINT IS IT DOESN'T MATTER, Pretty sure Mocking Banner doesn't work on bosses.

Indeed. Sorry for the side bar, but for some strange reason taunt mechanics really interest me. A long while back (WotLK era), I researched all the available taunt mechanics that I could just to dispel some common myths and posted a guide up here. This was before they nixed the idea of threat mattering at all. So I guess you could say my curiosity got the better of me. I apologize if I detracted.

meh its interesting.

AFAIK AoTD, Stampede, and Brewmasters Xuen all act the same, I have no idea how Bear's Treant's work, unless you glyph AoTD, or have all the summoned pets growl's turned off, and most bosses are immune to them

Taunt, reckoning, Provoke, Dark Command, and Guardians's Growl work nigh identically, I assume death grip also is functionality similar, I have no idea how casting provoke on a Black Ox statue modify it's functionality if at all beyond it AoEing and changes the aggro target.
    MoP RPS Calculator

+ Reply to Thread