+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re-rolled Pally, making sure i'm not doing anything blatantly wrong

Re-rolled Pally, making sure i'm not doing anything blatantly wrong

Ok, so basically I switched mains from a Prot-War to Tankadin, and I'd like to get a second opinion just to make sure i'm not doing anything blatantly wrong.

Armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...debox/advanced

Don't hate on the Slut-Mog =D
    As far as the 476 pieces go, before Tuesday this was "just an alt" so I wasn't putting all of my time and effort into getting upgrades. So that's a work in progress.
    Prior to this week I had been gemming pure haste, but had to put a bit of stamina in for Horridon on Wednesday. Had a death and a few other close calls, so I went with full hybrids. After I swapped the gems I didn't have any major issues tanking Council or Tortos. Actually, Torotos was just a hell of a lot of fun.
    The weapon enchant, I really just don't want to put anything better on a 476. That and I'm actually kind of likeing the way Windsong works out on a pally with 2/3 of the procs being rather useful, and the third making it's own minor contributions with crit heals. I'm aware that mathematically there are much better things though, an honest recommendation would be appreciated.

Log from Wednesday (Jin'rokh-Tortos kills, Megaera progression):
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...tb/details/44/

Log from Friday (Megaera kill and Ji'Kun progression):
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...vo3/details/1/

Rotationally the only thing I can find majorly wrong is there are attempts where my sacred shield up-time is completely and utterly atrocious. I've been messing around with WeakAuras to help with that. Having trouble finding a sound and visual Q that:
    1) Reliably gets my attention if I wasn't paying attention to the remaining duration (or lack there-of).
    2) Doesn't just get on my nerves if I intentionally let Sacred Shield fall off for a few GCD's in favor of other abilities.
    Idk if I should write off the latter of the two as "First World Problems" or if the issue could be solved by improving my WeakAuras coding skills.

Well, I think that about sums it up, any pointers are appreciated.

You rerolled Pally, you've gone to the sparkly side, there's nothing more blatantly wrong than that.

Gemming wise, I'm not really sure, I'd like a bit more stamina, and probably hit the socket bonus on the boots and leg with some clever reforging to take care of the excess expertise. I use NeedToKnow to track sacred shield.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    You rerolled Pally, you've gone to the sparkly side, there's nothing more blatantly wrong than that.
    Don't get me started..... one of my Healers mentioned how happy she was to have a pally/dk tank setup cause they're the "best tanks"..... Some people just don't understand that: "Them there are fight'n words."

And yeah, i've been keeping a pretty close eye on my HP dips as best I can to judge weather or not I should get more stam, and so far what I have is working good, I'd imagine I'll need more for later bosses?
    And good point on the socket bonuses.

Windsong is a perfectly viable enchant. I mean, they are all pretty meh (pure avoid, avoid+AP, haste/mastery/crit proc) so don't feel bad about that.

If you are going for haste, don't put stamina/haste gems at all. Go for pure haste gems everywhere. At 510 item level, you have enough stamina to survive anything. Especially in normal ToT. If your HP was dipping on horridon it was only because you didn't time your shield of the righteous properly.

Also, as a learning prot paladin, I suggest that you ditch the haste idea and go for full mastery instead, until you become better at timing the SotR buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaras View Post
    Go for pure haste gems everywhere. At 510 item level, you have enough stamina to survive anything*.
    *on ten man

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    *on ten man
    Yes, I have no clue how it works on 25.

10man is Expertise and hit caps and then haste everywhere!
    25man tends to be expertise and hit caps and then just stamina everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Xevarc View Post
    10man is Expertise and hit caps and then haste everywhere!
    25man tends to be expertise and hit caps and then just stamina everywhere!
    I prefer equal parts haste and stamina for 25N/25H, but each to his own.

If you are going for haste, don't put stamina/haste gems at all. Go for pure haste gems everywhere. At 510 item level, you have enough stamina to survive anything. Especially in normal ToT. If your HP was dipping on horridon it was only because you didn't time your shield of the righteous properly.

Also, as a learning prot paladin, I suggest that you ditch the haste idea and go for full mastery instead, until you become better at timing the SotR buff.
    You are correct sir, a tank taking dangerous dips to Horridon at a 510 iLvL is probably suffering from downs-clowns-syndrome. I however was barely 490ish when I posted this and really just didn't have enough health the first few times attempting the fight.
    As to my continuing to gem hybrids, I've found it to be an effective strategy that has served me well. No, I shouldn't "need" the extra stam for 10m, but when pugging a healer and/or a r-dps on a regular basis the HP makes "trips to hell in a hand-basket" more easily survivable.
    On a side note, I think it says a lot for the raid tier that just having one person who isn't familiar with your strat and/or the ebb and flow of your raid-group can easily throw a wrench in the works.

As to your second point, noted and respectfully disregarded. The haste is actually the reason I LvLed a pally in the first place, it sounded like a very interesting play-style and proved to be exactly that. Previously I've always just found them rather dull in concept and practice.

a tank taking dangerous dips to Horridon at a 510 iLvL is probably suffering from downs-clowns-syndrome
    * Unless they are doing it on heroic, when the entire P2 is dangerous dips/would-be-one-shot-if-it-wasn't-for-PW:S type of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Rotationally the only thing I can find majorly wrong is there are attempts where my sacred shield up-time is completely and utterly atrocious. I've been messing around with WeakAuras to help with that
    There are usually gaps in the rotation where you have no buttons to press, so you can take that time to refresh sacred shield.

I find Theck's latest weak auras very nice for Sacred Shield tracking - especially the red font on the shield size when you could get a bigger shield by refreshing early.

With my disc priest alt, I learnt to love the add-on simple absorb bar, which can put a bar just above your health with the size of the shield. On my pala, I found the add-on very useful for prompting me to use sacred shield when I have no absorb shield up.

* Unless they are doing it on heroic, when the entire P2 is dangerous dips/would-be-one-shot-if-it-wasn't-for-PW:S type of damage.
    Ah, yes, let me revise, a 510 tank taking dangerous spikes on 10m Normal has a problem.

Nope. I was around 512 ilvl when we killed this on HC and I solo tanked the entire last phase, only letting my co-tank take the last 10% or so. If you time your SotR well enough and back it up with CDs, you don't ever drop below 70% or so. Also your healers need to be competent.

Nope. I was around 512 ilvl when we killed this on HC and I solo tanked the entire last phase, only letting my co-tank take the last 10% or so. If you time your SotR well enough and back it up with CDs, you don't ever drop below 70% or so. Also your healers need to be competent.
    I'd be interested to see that combatlog and your armory. Because that has not been the experience anybody else I have talked to about heroic horridon has had.

My gear is now 526 so I dunno what you can see from my armory, I'll look for the log. I might have overstated a bit, first kills are always kinda blurry.

Here's the log, it says normal, I dunno why. http://worldoflogs.com/reports/canw5...?s=5156&e=5858
    Last edited by Valaras; 04-29-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Here's the other 25H Haste Prot-Pally log,

Horridon 25H, http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dy73r4y3id9rjkcn/sum/damageDone/?s=3118&e=3715#함락
    Megaera 25H,
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dy73r4y3id9rjkcn/sum/damageDone/?s=9780&e=10246#함락

This is not my log, but a little famous haste prot pally user's log.

In Korea, most wow users want prot-pally to do more DPS than normal damage dealers and most haste prot pallies can do it well, even in PUG. So many raid strategy is developed to use haste prot pally's DPS ability enough. Heroic Horridon, Tortos, Maegaera, Durumu, Iron qon are conquered by solo-tanking of haste prot pally.

Even when some guild in KR-Azshara killed Lei shen 25H, haste prot pally did second place damage dealing.

I think this is so funny and unbalanced situation.

+ Reply to Thread