+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior Question

Prot Warrior Question

I'm a 497 Prot Warrior and i'm wondering about which is the correct way to gem my gear. i'm being told that i should just go straight mastery, but when i look up other warriors i see that most use Solid river hearts along with Defender's roguestones. so, if anyone could explain the right thing to do i would really appreciate it. ty

Get hit and expertise capped, 7.5% and 15% respectively. After that it gets a bit finnicky, you want as much stamina and mastery as you can get essentially. The exact ratio will depend on what content your running, how many and what healers your running with, how competent they are, and how competent you are, the less threatening the content the less stamina you need. You want a big enough healthpool that healers never run out of time to heal you. Hit and expertise, and to a lesser extent Mastery decrease the size and frequency of those large damage spike events that kill tanks, more stamina means those spike event have to be bigger to actually kill you. Avoidance is a great stat for total damage reduction, stacking avoidance will greatly decrease the damage you take, which is great if healers are ooming trying to keep you up. Except healers really shouldn't be ooming trying to keep just the tank up.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Re: Prot Warrior Question

What's a good number for mastery? I hate to thread jack, but I've got roughly 41%. OP could probably benefit from this question as well.

Edit: that's just on gear/reforging iirc. I gem expertise/stam or pure stam.

There's no "good number" unless you are at 100% chance to block, which... you won't be. Just get mastery and stam =D
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

A good number for mastery is: MORE > what you have.

I realize that might not be the answer you were looking for, but to my knowledge mastery loses no value until you have a 100% chance to crit block. Unless i'm mistaken. But I can't think of a mathematical reason why that statement isn't true. So yeah.....

7.5 hit, 15 expertise, after that: Mastery is good. Stamina is good. Avoidance is arguably decent, but not as good as mastery/stam.
    As far as Mastery VS Stam, If you're LIVING through a fight, and none of your healers suffered a pannick attack to achieve that, you have enough stamina for now. If YOU died, either somebody screwed up or you need more stamina. And then you could just decide to try to get enough stam to for you to go AFK, fight off a North Korean invasion (should take about 2 min), and come back and still be alive. I wouldn't recommend it, but some people gear for worst case scenarios.

I've got about 520k HP buffed iirc. I was just curious if it was Mastery>stam >parry>dodge, and what a good number was to shoot for.

THat's prolly enough for 10 man MSV. You'll be one shot in 10 man tot.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    THat's prolly enough for 10 man MSV. You'll be one shot in 10 man tot.
    I haven't done 10m MSV, but I've done it in 25m and I've done 25m HoF. Going to ToES tomorrow if I'm not working that night. I have a knack for living through fights when I'm under geared, but when I'm out gearing it, I get face rolled. Something about thinking I don't need CDs when I out gear it....

Plus I've been tanking since BC so I kind of know when I'm going to bite the dust. Makes for good use of cds.

Edit:I'm not doing tot til I'm 490+. I need to enchant a lot of gear before I step up with the big boys.

Lt, you have a link to your armory?
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

Yeah, let me find it real quick.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/cenarion-circle/Ltranger/simple

H
    ere it is. I haven't full cleared MSV/HoF yet, but we're working on it.

Ya, definitely need to enchant your gear. I'll give you a pass on the boots since they're only 450, you should do Sha of Anger though, first kill drops a claw that gives you free 476 boots.

Gemming looks fine, since you are a touch undergeared a lean toward stam is a good thing. If you can find a stam trinket that would be helpful too.

There's sort of a philosophy, now I don't know if you meant this or not, but it's "well if I was raiding with the good players of course I'd enchant my gear." But the argument is kind of backwards, you should really gem/enchant your gear so that you CAN raid with the good players. It's very important to being taken seriously.

Arguable the weaker the gear the larger role you're enchants make. when you have 170 mastery a 170 mastery enchant is a huge increase; when you have 17000 mastery 170 mastey is kinda bleh.
    MoP RPS Calculator

the larger role you're enchants make
    role you're enchants make
    you're enchants make
    you're enchants
    you're

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Ya, definitely need to enchant your gear. I'll give you a pass on the boots since they're only 450, you should do Sha of Anger though, first kill drops a claw that gives you free 476 boots.

Gemming looks fine, since you are a touch undergeared a lean toward stam is a good thing. If you can find a stam trinket that would be helpful too.

There's sort of a philosophy, now I don't know if you meant this or not, but it's "well if I was raiding with the good players of course I'd enchant my gear." But the argument is kind of backwards, you should really gem/enchant your gear so that you CAN raid with the good players. It's very important to being taken seriously.
    Let me rephrase my statement. I just got a majority of my gear and I work at night and sleep during the day. I've been putting off the enchants, but I'm going to get them soonish. Noob question, but where is the sha of anger?

Edit - I'm working my way up but I can't raid often enough to get in a tot group sadly. I'll probably hitch a ride once or twice a week if I can with my guild.

Sha of Anger is a world boss in Kun-Lai Summit(?). Gets groups going all the time, people always asking for more. Simple kill, and you get the quest drop! (just got mine today!) I believe it is a faction tag, but I could be wrong there (just has to be your faction to be first hit).

Tried to get a group together but nobody wanted to go. So then I got on my pally, did a few heroics, and farmed the warbringers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltranger View Post
    Tried to get a group together but nobody wanted to go. So then I got on my pally, did a few heroics, and farmed the warbringers.
    Wait for the first couple of days of the ID or the weekend. Sha groups generally do Galleon afterwards on my server.

If you are farming Warbringers, collect Shado-pan emblems and get revered for the stamina/mastery use trinket. That way you can bypass getting Golden Lotus to revered in order to unlock the Shado-Pan dailies.

+ Reply to Thread