+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for ways to improve

Looking for ways to improve

Hello all!

I just got into raiding about a year ago in Dragon Soul. I've been working my way up on my realm, gradually improving. While my realm isn't particularly high on the progression rankings, I'm now in one of the top 5 raiding guilds on the realm.

I've run into a bit of a wall though. I know that I can always improve, but I'm not sure where that is at this point. I'm looking for more experienced windwalker monks and other raiders to perhaps point out things I could be doing to improve.

My raid group is currently 5/12 in ToT. At the end of T14 we had 5/16H and 16/16N (I was healing last tier though). I've ranked on three fights in ToT, and my average item level is 511 equipped (was 509 at the time of the logs below).Rankings:
    • Jin'rokh the Breaker - 147
    • Horridon - 14
    • Council of Elders - 125
    On most bosses I have either the lowest damage taken or very close to the lowest. I try to use personal cooldowns as much as possible without wasting them. Anyway, at this point I'm really not sure where to go next to improve. I'm hoping the community can help.

P.S. I want to raid with a group that is at my skill level and challenges me. I know that many raiders mistakenly feel like their skill level might be above the rest of their group. What is a good way to tell if a different group might be better suited to me?
    Last edited by Deathshiver; 04-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Have you tried SimulationCraft? Idk if we have many monk DPS experts around that could help you improve really. I actually had to ask in my guild "hey windwalkers are the dps ones, right?"

I played a monk for all of 1 hour in the beta... and I was pretty drunk at the time.

As far as knowing when to switch, well. It's a game, are you happy? If you think there is a significant skill gap between you and the other raiders, is it worth the slower progression to be around people you may consider your friends, or would you rather find another guild. I've found that happiness in raiding comes in finding a guild whose atmosphere fits your attitude/playstyle.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Im not an expert on monk dps. but the easiest way to see how you could improve is to use simcraft
    also UI and player diciplin can help.. like not moving around unless you have to and maximizing uptime on bosses.

I am and expert in the ways of guild swaping, iv done it a lot, and let me tell you. It is a LOT more fun to play with a group of people for a long period of time and become a close knit team of friends, then it is to work your way up the guild ladder. And in the end, when its all said and done, you will regret it.

guilds that raid for the soul purpose of progression dont last forever, I was in no less then 4 different progression based guilds durring my raiding times in Wrath. I started out at the bottom, and by the time i was finished climbing at the end of wrath i was in a top 50 us guild. But the thing is.. they all fell appart, none of those guilds raid anymore, people get burnt out when you raid for the wrong reasons. BUT! the guild that i left behind to start my climb up the guild ladder is still going strong.. they may not be the best guild in the world, but damnit they have fun.

if you like the people you are with, and they are doing what they can to get better, stick it out. you all with get beter as a team.

I'm currently in a guild that I feel so-so about. I don't have a particularly great time (mostly stressful) but I'm not sure that they have the level of progression to warrant the stress they put out. I guess the question now is, is it worth searching for an enjoyable guild and raid team at upper levels of progression? Or, in your experience, does that kind of guild really stay behind in progression? Because I'm not currently in a guild that I really have fun with, I get the opportunity to choose.
    Last edited by Deathshiver; 04-04-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

My number one tip is to record a fight and send it to Mikepreachwow. He is a guy who has gotten some world first dps rankings. When you have gotten rankings that high itīs usualy not how your play your class but something else that holds you. I never recommend Simcraft unless you are a maths guy. Itīs easy to get uried in it and stop realising that the important things are something different. Getting 100+ haste/mastery/crit will never do as much difference as using your resources more efficently.

As a response to you not being happy with your guild I always recommend to try to change. Itīs a game after all and it is supposed to be funny.
    Last edited by Zeagullz; 06-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Looking for ways to improve

Quote Originally Posted by Deathshiver View Post
    I'm currently in a guild that I feel so-so about. I don't have a particularly great time (mostly stressful) but I'm not sure that they have the level of progression to warrant the stress they put out. I guess the question now is, is it worth searching for an enjoyable guild and raid team at upper levels of progression? Or, in your experience, does that kind of guild really stay behind in progression? Because I'm not currently in a guild that I really have fun with, I get the opportunity to choose.
    The thing is, if you're having fun raiding, you'll do better. In my old guild before it broke up, the tot group was 1/12. They left and a majority stayed so we joined a new guild. Our main goal is to enjoy raiding but also push as hard as we can while on bosses, and the 2nd day in tot (3 tries,) we killed Jin'rok. We got to horridon and got to the 2nd door on the first attempt with only a few people having done it before. Yeah, we aren't 13/13H, but we have fun while we are raiding. Next week we are hoping to kill horridon, and it should happen as the main tank will be there on her paladin. (Although she's not stacking haste and I gave up trying to explain why she should....). She's been all the way to Ji'kun iirc.

Basically, if you have fun, no stress, which equates to more bosses dead, and more fat lewtz.

I have to agree with most of the people that have replied to your posting. If you can't enjoy the group your with, you should find a group of people that you enjoy not only hanging around, but talking to on a daily basis, because while raiding, you do alot of it.

As for improving your dps as a windwalker, well that might take some time for you to figure out, but here's a good start to help you get rolling. Yes gear will play an important part to your dps, but most of all, you need to make sure you have the talents that work for your play style, the glyphs also, and most of all, do some research and see what some of the other top ranked windwalkers are gemming, reforging, and do some stat prioritizing. Here is what I did. I used Icy Veins site for starting out with gearing up, gemming, and enchanting. Then I searched out some of the top ranked windwalkers and found out what they was gemming, enchanting, reforging, and talents and glyphs. I played around with the talents and glyphs found what worked for my play style and went from there. Now the rotation is important also, and you need to make sure you can learn that. If your having troubles with it, download clk_info and clk_monk (im pretty sure thats it) from curse and it can help you with a suggested rotation for ur dps. Once your comfortable enough, you can change your rotation a bit to suit you and improve your dps from there.

hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread