+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pots.

Pots.

I was wondering and simply throwing this out there to see what you guys, fellow tanks, think about it. What potions should a tank use? The choice is between health pots and armor ones. Nevertheless, as a Prot Pala I have selfheals other than lock cookies (WoG is out of the GCD and can save your life very easily), but what would be the most optimal in regards to the raid team? Pots for those "omg" moments and heal yourself a bit in emergencies or the armor ones which are basically one more cd to use? (Those make sense for prepotting too).

Thank you for your answers (:

I use the Strength potions, because you hit a dps wall long before you hit a survivability wall, and the health potions heal for such a tiny amount they get lost in the general background healing you receive.

I usually bring both str. and armor potions, and use as needed.
    I pre-pot str. potions on fight where dps matters (10 man raiding...) and then either str. pot with heroism or armor pot when things get hectic (i.e. boss starts hurting predictably, gains haste or whatever).

Re: Pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    I use the Strength potions, because you hit a dps wall long before you hit a survivability wall, and the health potions heal for such a tiny amount they get lost in the general background healing you receive.
    Iirc the healing pots heal for 120k....that's not a small amount IMHO.

i.e. less than a healthstone, and you can only use it once in a fight instead of three times. While you can prepot a strength potion and get a total of 50 seconds of 4000 extra strength (which works out at about 10000 attack power).

Quote Originally Posted by Selendis View Post
    I usually bring both str. and armor potions, and use as needed.
    I think Druids and maybe monks scale almost decently off of armor pots, not exactly sure. On my warrior and pally (would imagine a DK as well) they give me a pitifully useless amount of damage reduction though and so I don't even keep any on hand.
    The problem with potions in general (as Ftezie said) is that you only get to use one during the fight, so to have it as a defensive ability just doesn't really make sense to me, which is why I'm also not a fan of healing pots. For the most part I only use str pots during a fight.

On my warrior I do keep some Rage potions (yes, from classic) around in case a healer goes down and I need to stop taking damage for the next 4-5 seconds. (Combined rage from potion and rotation usually means I can keep Sbar rolling for at least 3 swings under most circumstances) An argument could be made for a health pot in that situation, I prefer to just not take damage rather than to further stress out a already frantic healer by letting my HP bounce around.

+ Reply to Thread