+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank Mastery

Tank Mastery

I've been looking in all kinds of threads in a lot of places, but I can't seem to find any that mention a percentage of mastery to have as a tank that uses the active mitigation route. Does anyone know? I main a Prot Pally, but I play all the tank classes, so insight about any class is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

I have 13% (3000 rating) mastery and 17% haste (7300 rating) unbuffed.

So long as you get to 7.5% hit and 15% expertise, you're fine

(click on the link to my guide in my signature for more info)

As a prot warrior, hit/exp caps are more important, after that you go stam/mastery as fights deem it, the more magic damage there is (in scenarios where you'll take lots of damage at once) the less useful mastery tends to be, but since it's stam/mastery that really only matters as far as gemming is concerned. Reforge to mastery.

I prefer stam, lots of stam to the point where it's overkill, many other players prefer to have "enough" stam and go mastery after that. As long as you're not dying or a mana sponge (which if you're good at active mitigation you shouldn't be) it doesn't particularly matter.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

As a Brewmaster Monk, Hit/Exp are generally more important, as are Haste and Crit, Mastery for monks main use is boosting EHP so anytime you have Physical EHP tests large amount sof mastery allows to eat bigger hits.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

For druids hit/expertise caps are most important and after that its stam/crit, mastery isn't very important for them.

Quote Originally Posted by captanmurdoc View Post
    For druids hit/expertise caps are most important and after that its stam/crit, mastery isn't very important for them.
    where the general idea of this post is correct it is also wrong in some ways.

hit and exp to 7,5% is indeed on top of the list but what follows is not stam/crit, a druid should never gem stam, stam on gear is enough. Unless you wanne go the (wich would be the passive mitigation build rather that the active mitigatio (rage) build)

the way most bears gear (gem) is hit > exp soft cap > crit > exp hard cap / haste > mastery / dodge

the reason mastery is pretty much useless as a druid is the fact that you need so much for such a small percentage of actual dmg reduction.

anyway, just my opinion, hope it helped.

There is no soft cap for expertise for a tank. Expertise removes exactly the same amount of chance to be avoided from 0 to the cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Thanks for all the insight everyone! Your help is much appreciated

And Fetize, I've read your guide several times. It's very helpful!
    Last edited by paganinifreak; 03-30-2013 at 11:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread