+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please assist our paladin tank

Please assist our paladin tank

Greetings fellow Tankspotters! We have a paladin tank who is kind of new to tanking in our 10-mans and we are wondering if his gems, enchants, reforges, talents and glyphs are correct for 10-man normal throne of thunder? His DPS and threat seems low but then we are comparing it to a monk, who seems to be pretty high compared to him. If you wouldn't mind an assessment we would appreciate it. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ilkeous/simple

his gearing seems fine. he's hit his caps and is reforging haste where possible. It could either be that his co-tank is a threaty bastard (monks usually are), or a rotational issue on the pallies part. what is he losing aggro to?
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

He logged in his ret set (7.5% expertise and a 2h).

Glyphs for the tank spec: Would swap to Divine Protection, Alabaster Shield and Battle Healer.
    Talents: would swap Clemency to Unbreakable Spirit for most fights, Hand of Purity is awesome on a few fights. Would change Divine Purpose to one of the others; I prefer Holy Avenger.

Threat issues are usually play-style issues. Changing gems and enchants won't make a tank that can't produce the threat/dps be much better. Ask him about his rotation. He should be following the framework CS-J-X CS-X-J CS-X-X.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    his gearing seems fine. he's hit his caps and is reforging haste where possible. It could either be that his co-tank is a threaty bastard (monks usually are), or a rotational issue on the pallies part. what is he losing aggro to?
    He is loosing agro to DPS as well as the monk tank. Even after a taunt switch the monk has to back way off for much longer then I would expect (15-20 seconds of high threat warnings to the monk). Sorry I did not get a chance to talk to him about his rotation (but I will do so asap) He was in his tank gear but apparently logged out in dps gear after my post. But he was gemming pure stam in blue slots, pure mastery in yellow. I was thinking that was a bad way to go.

If you are losing threat to dps, you aren't pressing any buttons. Has he read the rotation part of my guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    If you are losing threat to dps, you aren't pressing any buttons. Has he read the rotation part of my guide?
    Yea I agree with you there. I just spoke to him and he is coming to read your guide Fetzie. Now anyone know anything about monks? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...umpkick/simple

He seems to be doing it right, hit/exp caps, then haste, and if he isn't just falling over dead he's prolly doing it right.

EDIT: Though Glyph of Breath of Fire is weird for PVE.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

does he keep righteous defender or whatever that buff is that gives him a bunch of threat up? I know this is kind of a "is the computer plugged in?" question, but I figured I'd ask to be on the safe side.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    does he keep righteous defender or whatever that buff is that gives him a bunch of threat up? I know this is kind of a "is the computer plugged in?" question, but I figured I'd ask to be on the safe side.
    Yes he has it up. After he read the guide his dps is much higher so thank you for it. His init threats still a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathelve View Post
    Yes he has it up. After he read the guide his dps is much higher so thank you for it. His init threats still a work in progress.
    Initial paladin threat is a work in progress from the Blizzard end of things—at the moment we're kind of starting too low and scaling too well with vengeance (which is why blizzard is concerned about our DPS in tank heavy fights). When you say initial, do you mean during tank swaps? Because that's not really initial threat; taunt is going to get you half the vengeance of the other tank, but if the other tank doesn't give you a GCD or 3 he's likely going to pull off you regardless of what you do (unless what you do is salv him).

Don't be afraid to use wings on your pulls if you need to. Enrage timers aren't that tight on normal content right now.

+ Reply to Thread