+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TDR vs Damage Smoothing Question

TDR vs Damage Smoothing Question

So I've been playing a prot warrior since Vanilla and maintained a tank role in various guilds over the years, never anything US top 20 but Top 100 US guilds. I would consider myself a relatively intelligent player but have been really re-thinking my "tanking goals" recently. I know in T15 content that Sbar is pulling ahead in terms of TDR. I've been in the mentality that smoothing out damage is easier on healers and less likely to result in a tank death than Sbar popping 100% of the time. I'm reforged 15% xp/ 7.5 hit, gemming stam, and the rest of the reforges going into mastery. My armory link is - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...us/Roxa/simple

I use an addon (Shieldmaid) to track my theoretical Sbar absorbs as well as to track my average block damage on Sblocks during encounters. I've primarely rolled Sblocks back to back and filled the gap with Sbar during the recharge downtime as I imagine most Warrior tanks do right now. Though on fights (We'll use Dumuru for example) I will roll SBlock and make sure that I have the 60 rage for a Sbar to hit during his Hard Stare cast to lessen the chance of an arterial cut being applied to me or at the very least making it easier to top me off. I have simliar practice on Ji-Kun's Talon Rake and Megaera's breaths to name a couple others. Saying this, on those fights I prioritize having the 60 rage available for the Sbar for the "tank debuff application" to reduce spike.

What I'm asking directly is, am I incorrect in this playstyle? Or is smoothing out damage via SBlocks and filling with Sbars on "Insert high damage tank debuff here" correct? I play in a 10 man guild just FYI.
    Last edited by Roxa; 03-15-2013 at 02:21 AM.

On progression content smoothing is always best, TDR should be saved for end-of-tier farm when gear is improved and healers aren't going oom. That said, which to use obviously depends on the fight. Block by default, Barrier when Magic or Bleed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    On progression content smoothing is always best, TDR should be saved for end-of-tier farm when gear is improved and healers aren't going oom. That said, which to use obviously depends on the fight. Block by default, Barrier when Magic or Bleed.
    I tend to disagree, IF you change your gear standard from a damage smoothing context, imo you go for more damage next. Your healers are already not going to go oom, why even risk stressing them, go for the safe tride and true method**.

** as fight mechanics dictate per fight, obviously.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Healers shouldn't be ooming on farm content anyway, which basically makes the whole TDR argument null and void if it wasn't already. The OP's approach seems ( bar some encounter specific stuff) absoulutely fine.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Healers shouldn't be ooming on farm content anyway, which basically makes the whole TDR argument null and void if it wasn't already. The OP's approach seems ( bar some encounter specific stuff) absoulutely fine.
    Thanks Teng, I was hoping to get some input from you. Reason I was even curious was I was doing some browsing around some of the top 20 US guilds application forums seeing how certain apps were fairing in the hazing process and some prot warrior's were being hazed for hitting expertise hard cap and for not going for TDR. I understand the damage is higher in 25 man content though I'd think the same approach as far as damage-smoothing would be applicable here, just less emphasis on damage output in 25 vs 10.

Tell them to shove it and EJ has never been right about prot warrior theorycrafting (it's historically awful, actually).
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Tell them to shove it and EJ has never been right about prot warrior theorycrafting (it's historically awful, actually).
    Hahaha. I would but luckily I'm not the one being hazed. I'm happy with my current guild situation for the time being. I've just started to take notice to what others are doing moreso now (as tanking stat priority isn't as cut and dry as it used to be in previous expansions). Typical self-doubt then takes over though when I see something different from what I'm doing.

Also, a lot of time in the "hazing" process they will purposefully imply wrong information to see how you defend it and know your class or if you blindly do what you're told b/c some guide said to.

Actually EJ does have a decent prot-war guide up right now, for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxa View Post
    Thanks Teng, I was hoping to get some input from you. Reason I was even curious was I was doing some browsing around some of the top 20 US guilds application forums seeing how certain apps were fairing in the hazing process and some prot warrior's were being hazed for hitting expertise hard cap and for not going for TDR. I understand the damage is higher in 25 man content though I'd think the same approach as far as damage-smoothing would be applicable here, just less emphasis on damage output in 25 vs 10.
    In my Opinion TDR is Inversely proportional to your healers mana regen; The worse their mana regen is the more important it is for you to to take less overall damage, however most healers will have enough that it shouldn't really be a concern in 10 or 25 unless you're doing some freaky 1-healer setups. Ironically hit and expertise are actually rather good stats for TDR, espeically if you're hot with active mitigations.

EHP on the other hand is definitely proportional to the increased damage output bosses have in 25 mans, I'm not saying "for 25 mans stack stamina" It just that its more effective in 25s than 10s.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

...It just that its more effective in 25s than 10s.
    I would go on to say that in progression it is usually a better choice for warriors 10 or 25 man (EHP vs TDR) (once hit/exp capped). There are a few heroic ToT fights that demand 650k HP (while being hit by bats for example on H Tortos). Stam stacking has come back and proves to be valuable, though rather boring.

*This assumes you are pushing heroic ToT and not worrying about trinket swapping or re-gemming for each fight*

*This assumes you are pushing heroic ToT and not worrying about trinket swapping or re-gemming for each fight*
    Trinket/talent/glyph swapping should be a staple for any tank. Regemming...if you know you'll be on a boss for multiple hours, then yes. Otherwise I wouldn't.

+ Reply to Thread