+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 90 Paladin Tank: Catching up?

New 90 Paladin Tank: Catching up?

Hello. So, I'm late to this particular party. My first 90 (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...acallah/simple) hit 90 just last week or so ago and I'm not sure what the fastest or smartest way to proceed forward is. The last time I played (Wrath), there was a pretty clear progression (Rep Gear, lvl 80 normal modes, Crafted gear -> Heroics -> Raids, with ToC (Normal) and the Icecrown 5 mans giving an avenue to get around some of the heroics or earlier raids.

This time around, it seems like there's a hundred different options that are all open and I'm not sure what's the smartest or fastest move. I can grind rep/dailies for faction rep. There seem to be about 2 pieces per faction, generally available at revered. I can grind scenarios and hope I get a few lucky drops at the end. I can run heroics, where it seems like most things that drop are an upgrade there as well. World bosses are only 1/week, but I've gotten loot 2/3 times from there. And then the Isle of Thunder stuff which I'm not even sure what all that entails.

So, am I best served by grinding rep? Running Scenarios non stop? Or does the Isle of Thunder trump all? Is there even stuff for me to be digging into in the IoT or is it designed for raid geared characters from the previous tiers?

Last, probably silly question: I've got a high enough iLevel to be tanking Heroics, but I haven't really spent the cash to start gemming / enchanting stuff yet (thinking most of this will be replaced relatively quickly- will probably enchant the boots as soon as I get to the AH). What's the expectation for tanking a heroic?

Sorry to be asking all these questions, but it's either here or trade chat as the guild I'm in is very small and (mostly) inactive. Thanks for your help!

The expectation is that you know how to pull heroics, what trash you can skip, what you can't, and how to pull effectively. Like say in SM, you can skip most of the bone piles except one and then a pack of ghosts then the first boss, or how to pull as few students as possible in Professor Slate's room in scholomance.

Thunder Isle has a few things you might like, firtly their is a 522 neck at neutral with the Shaso-pan assualt (the raid rep) and as you start off neutral it requires you just to go their to get it with 1.2k valour, the other rep associated with thunder isle dailes is the Sunreaver Onsalught, which has a 476 belt at friendly (could be honoured) for 210 gold. the rest of their gear has a valour cost but is 496 and requires higher amounts of rep. Thirdly they are chests and rare mobs and quest rewards which give greate charms of good fortune, allowing you extra rolls in LFR which does massively accelerate gearing.

Gearing up hasn't really changed that much gearing is still pretty much 5mans > Raids, with LFR their to make sure "everyone gets to raid", the faction reps allow you to side step that a little (or alot), I wouldn't really bother with scenarios, you get better gear elsewhere,
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Thanks Tengenstein. So, I should probably continue to DPS the heroics until I'm comfortable with the pulls (figure another week or so), then go for it? Once I've run the instance once or twice, I'm fine, it's just sticking that first toe into the frigid water of LFG.

Thunder Isle sounds good, some low hanging fruit there (522 neck for the valor I have stored sounds like a good deal, especially since it's going to be a looong time of running dailies before I get enough rep to buy something worthwhile).

Note to self, sometimes it helps to look at other threads, even ones that don't relate to your spec. I found the a nice thread below that linked a nifty wowhead gearlist (preraid list: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1566/mo...k-pal-war-tank ), so that gave me a nice consolidated list to look at.

Sorry if I asked a question that lots of others have asked before. I will endeavor to find new (not necessarily non-stupid) questions to ask. Questions that I will even research for myself before I ask them here!

Anywho, for the record, the belt from the sunreavers is available at honored (and you pretty much start out at friendly). I hit 2/3 daily hubs last night and I'm ~1500 into friendly, so we're looking at 4-5 days of dailies to get the belt on the outside. I didn't find the Shado Pan assault vendor last night but when I do, I'll pick up the neck from him.

Thanks again for the help.

+ Reply to Thread