+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throne of Thunder - Horridon

Throne of Thunder - Horridon

10-Man Guide by Solarflair:

Complete Dungeon Journal on Wowhead.com

Welcome back to the Throne of Thunder raid guide. My name is Lore, and this video will cover Horridon. Now, before we begin, I want to apologize in advance for the quality of the video footage in this guide. I wasn't able to get clean footage of our kill, and since we'll be starting on heroic progression next week, it's possible we won't be killing him again for quite a while. However, since this is the second boss in the instance, I wanted to make sure we got something up in the meantime to at least discuss the strategy for the encounter. Once I've gotten some decent footage, I will be replacing this video.

So, lets talk strategy. Horridon is essentially a two-phase encounter. The first phase is easily the more hectic of the two, as you'll be focusing on dealing with several waves of adds, each with their own unique abilities, while also avoiding a couple abilities that the boss himself has.

We'll start with Horridon himself. He's got three abilities, which he'll be using for the entirety of the encounter. The first is called Triple Puncture. This is a high-damage strike he'll use on the tank that also stacks up a debuff which causes it to do progessively more damage. Obviously this means you'll want to swap tanks, but exactly when to swap can be a bit tricky since both tanks will have their hands full for the majority of the encounter. I'll explain more on that later.

His second ability is Double Swipe. When he casts this, he'll deal a massive amount of physical damage in a cone both in front of and behind him. Everyone, including the tanks, should quickly move out of the graphic to avoid the damage. If you keep the boss positioned to the side of the raid, that'll be no problem, except for when he uses his final ability: Charge. He'll pick a random target and charge at their location. The charge itself doesn't do anything, but as soon as he finishes charging, he'll immediately use Double Swipe. So basically, everyone will need to keep the boss's position in mind while dealing with the adds that make up the rest of phase one.

Like I said before, phase one is about dealing with waves of adds while also avoiding Horridon's abilities. There are four doors positioned around the room that will open up one at a time to start spawning in waves of trolls. Each wave is somewhat unique, but there is a basic pattern to how they work that makes understanding this phase a lot easier. Each wave will have a constant stream of smaller adds that come from the door, three stronger trolls that jump down from the stands above the door, and eventually a Zandalari Dinomancer that needs to be killed to move on. On top of that, each wave has a debuff that will stack up on the raid, an AOE effect to move away from, and one or two other unique mechanics to manage. Keeping control over each wave is key, and stuns in particular are incredibly helpful here.

The first tribe is the Farraki. The important adds here are the Farraki Wastewalkers. These guys will cast a magic debuff that needs to be dispelled, and also create sand traps on the ground that you need to move out of. On top of that, the stonegazer basilisks can actually stun players, but those should be AOE'd down relatively quickly. Any strong single target stuns should be focused on the Wastewalkers, with AOE stuns mixed in whenever possible.

Next up is the Gurubashi tribe. Here you'll be focusing on the Venom Priests as much as possible -- in fact, on this wave, it may actually be worth it to skip AOE just to nuke these guys down as quickly as possible. They'll be constantly stacking up a poison debuff, and can actually summon in a second add called a Venomous Effusion that will not only create a poison pool to move away from, but also help the Venom Priest stack up the poison debuff. This wave can quickly get out of hand if you don't manage these guys effectively, so be sure to stun them as much as possible and burn them down quickly.

After Gurubashi are the Drakkari. This wave is unique in that the smaller adds that spawn cannot be tanked and will randomly run around the raid applying a Disease debuff. However, the important adds here are the Frozen Warlords. They hit the tank pretty hard and have a mortal strike which hits even harder, so again, stun these as much as possible. They'll also summon a Frozen Orb to move away from.

The last wave is the Amani, with the important adds being the Beast Shaman who ride their own Amani Warbears. First thing to be aware of here is a swipe attack the Warbears will use - make sure no one is standing in front of them. Second, the Beast Shaman will cast a chain lightning that will deal a pretty heavy amount of damage if it casts, so try to interrupt them as much as possible. They'll also hex random players with a curse effect that will cause them to damage themselves when using abilities. Finally, they drop a Lightning Nova Totem on the ground to move away from.

Now, after each wave has been active for a little while, a Zandalari Dinomancer will spawn. He'll start off as a caster who tries to heal Horridon. That can be interrupted, and even though you shouldn't be focusing too much damage on Horridon at this point, it's still a good idea. More importantly, once they reach 50% health, they'll transform into a dinosaur and drop their Orb of Control on the ground. That Orb of Control needs to be clicked immediately by anyone who can find it. Doing so will cause Horridon to ram into the door, which stops that wave of adds from spawning. You'll have a few seconds to finish mopping up any leftover adds and dispel any remaining debuffs before the next door will open and the cycle will repeat with the next tribe. This is also the best time to have tanks swap off on Horridon to deal with the Triple Puncture debuff.

One quick side note about dispels: only the first tribe, the Farraki, actually has a magic debuff. The other waves use Poison, Disease, and Curse debuffs, respectively. That means that non-healers can and should help dispel whichever debuffs they can. For example, all Paladins can remove Poison and Disease effects, all Shaman can remove Curse effects, and so on. Dispelling those debuffs removes a lot of the damage from phase 1, so anyone with any form of dispel should be using it on this fight.

Once you've gotten through all four waves, phase 2 will begin, and fortunately the fight gets a lot more straightforward. You'll want to move Horridon to the middle of the room to give yourself some space, and start to focus damage on him. Shortly afterward, War-God Jalak will enter the arena. Jalak has just one ability: Bestial Cry. It deals a large amount of Physical damage to the raid, and also increases his damage by 50% every time he uses it. To keep that from getting out of control, you'll want to have whichever tank is free pick him up immediately, pop Bloodlust or Heroism, and nuke him down as quickly as possible. Once Jalak dies, Horridon will go on a rampage, which increases his damage to the tank, but since no one else should be taking damage at this point, that's really not a big deal. Just take a deep breath, have tanks swap aggro to reset Triple Puncture, and finish Horridon off.

Like I said, this is a very, very hectic encounter. It's all about keeping as much control as you can during phase 1, so that you can be in good shape going into phase 2. As long as you can make it there with the majority of your raid alive, you should be able to finish the fight off easily enough.
    Last edited by Lore; 03-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I was like: this footage is fine, what was Lore talking about? Awwwwwww, somebody wasn't important enough for a B-res.....

We'd actually had something weird happen on the pull that made us use two of them immediately... by the time I died there weren't any left
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

awesome with the guides, because you died we actually got quite a nice look at the war god dying :P hope they will keep coming at this rate.

also, could we please have the thrash before Horridon stay as it is in LFR aswell as normal.

You (and others) mention stunning the Wastewalkers, Venom Priests, and Frozen Warlords, I have found on 10 man that they are immune to stuns. After looking at the World of Logs for Months Behind's kill, it seems that they are immune to stuns on 25 man as well.

We had our first tries on this boss last night. We managed to get past the Farraki tribe, but then wiped on the Gurubashi tribe. As an off-tank, I found it hard to grab all the adds, mainly because they are spread out. I'm using all the usual suspects as far as spells are concerned, but the distance is what's getting in the way for me. Does anyone have any good tips on how to quickly establish aggro on them as a DK?

Quote Originally Posted by Gig View Post
    You (and others) mention stunning the Wastewalkers, Venom Priests, and Frozen Warlords, I have found on 10 man that they are immune to stuns. After looking at the World of Logs for Months Behind's kill, it seems that they are immune to stuns on 25 man as well.
    I've tried to stun them too, to no avail.

How is everyone getting around Blazing Sun? its kick our guild ass, are Monks required?

Quote Originally Posted by psykodoughboy View Post
    How is everyone getting around Blazing Sun? its kick our guild ass, are Monks required?
    We have a priest mass dispelling it.

Dispels and blowing up Wastewalkers.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

+ Reply to Thread