+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throne of Thunder - Jin'rokh the Breaker

Throne of Thunder - Jin'rokh the Breaker

10-Man Guide by Solarflair:

Complete Dungeon Journal on Wowhead.com

What's up guys and welcome to the Throne of Thunder raid guide. My name is Lore, and this video will cover the Normal version of the Jin'rokh the Breaker encounter. Please note that although this video is focused on the 25-man version, there are no major changes to the fight on 10-man.

As the first boss in the instance, Jin'rokh is pretty simple in terms of mechanics. Shortly after the pull, he'll pick up the tank and throw them across the room at one of the nearby statues. That will smash the statue open, causing a pool of Conductive Water to start forming on the ground in front of it. It also stuns that tank for 8 seconds and causes them to lose threat, so your second tank will need to pick up the boss immediately.

The Conductive Water serves as the core mechanic of this fight. Everything interacts with it in some fashion or another. First off, by standing in the pool, you'll get a debuff (Fluidity) that increases the nature damage you take by 80%, but also causes you to deal 40% more damage and receive 40% more healing. Everyone except the tanks should stand in this as much as possible. The boss should be positioned towards the middle of the room, so that melee can stand at the edge of the puddle, and your ranged DPS and healers should be towards the back of the puddle near the edges.

Now, the reason you want ranged positioned like that is due to his Focused Lightning mechanic. Every so often he'll summon an orb of lightning which fixates on a random ranged DPS or healer and chases them until it eventually reaches them and explodes. Normally, that explosion deals a decent chunk of nature damage to whoever it hits -- it's enough to hurt, but it's totally manageable. However, if that person is standing in the Conductive Water, it'll basically 1-shot anyone caught by the explosion and deal a massive amount of damage to everyone else. That's pretty much a wipe if it happens. So, as soon as you get picked for the Focused Lightning, you need to run off to the side to an area where there is no Conductive Water before letting the ball hit you.

Once a Focused Lightning has been safely detonated it'll leave behind a Lightning Fissure. This is a little jet of lightning that's pretty easy to notice. They deal a small amount of damage to anyone standing near them, but since everyone should be standing in the pools most of the time anyway, that's not a big deal. What's more important is that if another Focused Lightning gets kited over top of an existing Lightning Fissure, it'll cause an Implosion which deals a huge amount of nature damage to the entire raid, especially considering the 80% increase from the conductive waters. Basically this just means that you need to be intelligent about where you let Focused Lightnings hit you. Kite them a good distance away so that there's plenty of room for the next one.

There's also a tank debuff to keep track of called Static Wound. Every so often, Jin'rokh will use an ability called Static Burst. That deals about 100,000 damage to the whole raid -- even with the 80% increase from conductive waters, it's still not a big deal to heal through. What's more important is the Static Wound debuff he'll put on the tank a couple seconds later. That causes both the tank and the rest of the raid to take a big pulse of damage every time the tank gets hit. Tanks need to be ready to swap aggro immediately the second that debuff goes up to avoid a whole bunch of unnecessary damage on both themselves and the raid.

The only other trick up Jin'rokh's sleeve is a Lightning Storm. He casts this on a timer that lines up to be shortly after a conductive water has filled an entire corner of the room. Two things happen here. First off, the entire raid will be taking some heavy nature damage for the full duration of the lightning storm. Second, he'll electrify the conductive water you were just standing in -- now, instead of buffing your damage and healing, it'll cause you to take extra nature damage on top of the 80% increase. So this is pretty straightforward to deal with. Get out of the conductive waters before the channel starts, and then heal like crazy to keep everyone alive. We found it ideal to just have all the ranged and healers stack up on melee so that raid cooldowns could be used effectively and DPS could continue. Once the Lightning Storm is over, he'll throw the tank into another statue, which creates another conductive water, and the fight will continue on as before.

That's basically all there is to Jin'rokh. Just kite Focused Lightning intelligently, swap aggro on the boss effectively, and heal through the damage. As long as you can manage that, even an undergeared group should have a good shot at taking Jin'rokh down.
    Last edited by Lore; 03-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Watched it, liked it, killed it. He was really easy compared to Horridon...

I have a question regarding Static Wound. When we were attempting this boss, both tanks had stacks of the Static Wound up. When I would taunt off of the other tank who just received the debuff, I would still have 4-5 stacks of the debuff remaining. I guess it still makes sense to taunt since the other tank has 10 stacks, but seeing as how this isn't mentioned, I figure we're doing something wrong. Are we taunting too early?

No, Static wound does more damage the more stacks are on the tank and the stacks decrease over time, not as you recive hits, so in 10 man, if Jin'rokh hits a tank with 10 stacks the tank takes 200k in addition to the melee hit and the rest of the raid take 66K multiplied by 1.8 if they're in the water so about 120k each. if you only have 4 stacks you only take and additional 80k and the raid 48k, which is much more manageable
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Thank you for clarifying. It just isn't mentioned anywhere how the tank that is taunting will still have a few stacks left, so I was concerned that it isn't normal. Our problem is likely stemming from Lightning Storm then.

since fluidity is +40% damage done and +40% healing received shouldnt you keep healers outside the water to minimize the damage taken by the healers or am i understanding this wrong?

Fluidity is 40% increased healing done, so healers do 40% more healing when in the puddle.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Since we had some issues with Tank being thrown at a random statue and it was unclear in the guide, Jin'rokh will throw the Tank at the statue Jin'rokh is farthest from.

Jin'rohk likes to use Static Wounds before throwing the tank for the first time. A helpful strategy our group found was to have the debuffed tank taunt just before the throw, so he would get thrown and the non-debuffed tank could continue tanking afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhastia View Post
    Jin'rohk likes to use Static Wounds before throwing the tank for the first time. A helpful strategy our group found was to have the debuffed tank taunt just before the throw, so he would get thrown and the non-debuffed tank could continue tanking afterwards.
    We did something similar in our 10man and just had the debuffed tank hold the boss until he gets thrown after the pull. Since no one's standing in a pool at that point, the damage is negligible.

Not sure if this is the best spot to post this, so feel free to delete it.

About the 10m guide by Solarflair, while the guide was good, you talk a little too fast. I did understand everything you said, but the speed makes it a little harder to follow than Lore guide. Probably because English is not my native language.
    Thanks for the guides : )

1. There is debate in my team about where to drop the fissures. I want to drop them on the brown rectangular grates. Others think we should just drop them outside the pools anywhere and take the damage when the pool consumes the fissure, that this is negligible damage (almost verbatim). I acknowledge that dropping them near an eventual tank landing zone is acceptable. I accept that the last chump to get the Lightning Ball before the Storm might want to cut a corner to get his butt back to the group healing spot. Almost every guide I've watched advises using the brown rectangles. I'm a healer, so it goes without saying that I believe only the tanks should ever take a lick of damage. Am I too biased?

2. Healing received or healing done? As a healer, do I need to stand in the pool to do monster healing? I've erred on the side of staying in the pool.

We're probably undergeared for the fight, but we've killed him on 10-man a couple times. 25-man was a frustrating experience. Our 25 is a bit motley right now, filled in with PvPers and casuals willing to lend a hand. The mechanic is easy but requires everyone to be 100% successful. I'm not sure we'll get it until we get some more stamina on our gear, or can DPS even with a few dead guys.

The one time I wiped the raid, Storm was coming, I speed-bubbled and ran headlong towards the boss, and KAPOW the Lightning Ball came out and I slammed into it going 60 miles an hour. Now I take a more circuitous route to the boss - let me be a cautionary tale to you all.

3. I was chuckling about how somewhat monotone Solarflair sounded, because that's not him at all. I can't wait until Guide #10 or so, after he gets his groove on. Hey hey hey!

1. The grates are just as far to kite them and result in 0 extra damage taken. There's no reason to take extra, unnecessary damage.

2. Healing received. Healers don't need to stand in the pool.

Thanks!

Hey Lore, is there any way you could add a quick paragraph at the end of your write ups for the vids on how if at all the fight differs in LFR? I know LFR is mostly a joke that you can sleep through but some of us LFR heroes Like to know what we are doing too.

DO it like normal.
    MoP RPS Calculator

+ Reply to Thread