+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halp: Ele Shaman, 10-Man Raid

Halp: Ele Shaman, 10-Man Raid

Not sure if Tankspot is the place, but I notice a lot of people hoping for a hand and thought I'd try tossing myself into the pot.

I'm the raid leader for a 10-man progression guild off Thunderhorn and I have an Ele Shaman that needs help. He's been very responsive to help, his rotation seems correct and we've been working on his dot uptime (which has improved), but we can't seem to get out of the strong start (CD's blown, 90k) to a slow falling and flat 40-50K by fight's end.

Can anybody here help me see something we're missing in trying to bring his dps up? Or point me to a place that can help?

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...craya/advanced

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j...a6p/details/2/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v...wk/details/10/

Thanks!

* The Glyph of Unleashed Lightning might be a boost over Fire Elemental because a) BL boosts a full minute of Fire Ele and b) There is virtually no fight where you don't have to move, GoUL helps SOOO much in that case.
    * He's missing too many Lava Burst crits, which means he's missing the 150% extra damage as well as the extra Elemental Focus uptime. LvB without FS dot is a no-no!!

A good way to track everything is TellMEWhen addon, I use it for Flame Shock dot & CD, Fulmination, (Fire) Totem duration, EleBlast CD and stuff like that.
    If he has GoUL, macro Spiritwalker's Grace (and trinkets) to Ascendance for movable burst. You can add Ancestral Guidance to it to do a massive amount of healing at the same time (my record is 1.9milion healing with 1 burst phase!).

Make sure he knows the priorities:
    FS debuff should be up at all times
    THEN Lava Burst on CD
    ES if 5+ Lightning Shield & not in last 2 ticks of FS
    Ele Blast
    Fire Totem
    Lightning Bolt

With that he should be able to do 55-60k DPS on most fights, but remember that Blizzard IS buffing them by 6-8% next patch, so they are currently on the lower end of the spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    * The Glyph of Unleashed Lightning might be a boost over Fire Elemental because a) BL boosts a full minute of Fire Ele and b) There is virtually no fight where you don't have to move, GoUL helps SOOO much in that case.
    * He's missing too many Lava Burst crits, which means he's missing the 150% extra damage as well as the extra Elemental Focus uptime. LvB without FS dot is a no-no!!

A good way to track everything is TellMEWhen addon, I use it for Flame Shock dot & CD, Fulmination, (Fire) Totem duration, EleBlast CD and stuff like that.
    If he has GoUL, macro Spiritwalker's Grace (and trinkets) to Ascendance for movable burst. You can add Ancestral Guidance to it to do a massive amount of healing at the same time (my record is 1.9milion healing with 1 burst phase!).

Make sure he knows the priorities:
    FS debuff should be up at all times
    THEN Lava Burst on CD
    ES if 5+ Lightning Shield & not in last 2 ticks of FS
    Ele Blast
    Fire Totem
    Lightning Bolt

With that he should be able to do 55-60k DPS on most fights, but remember that Blizzard IS buffing them by 6-8% next patch, so they are currently on the lower end of the spectrum.
    this is all very good info, but on top of this if he is still having issues he can try a few raids with an addon called Elementrist, it is a rotation add on that will display exactly what spell to cast when, which will allow him to get a feel for what his rotation should be.

The other thing is, his itemazation right now kind of sucks. and I mean that in the nicest way I main an ele shammy currently and I had a very hard time finding properly itemized gear....theres alot of crit mail this tier and thats terrible for ele shammies. I think another issue is hes currently falling into a weird spot in gear where he has to reforge alot to hit(spirit) and its causing him to not have enough mastery or haste in either direction for a significant dps increase. the other thing you may want to talk to him about is talent swapping for specific boss fights...echo of elements is good all around but some fights Elemental mastery takes the lead, Elegon for example...the short cool down and burst phases allow elemental mastery to shine especially in the last phase. also ancestral guidance is a much better healing cool down for ele shammy...in combination with ascendance it can be used to almsost full heal a raid for a long period of time... I know when I blow full cool downs and AG It is better than tranquility could ever hope to be.

Im not the best shammy in the world but if your shammy wants to talk to someone one on one I am willing to try to help, feel free to send me a PM and I can give you my real id or something.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iarious/simple

this is my shammy

Thank you very much for the feedback.

We're going to start pumping this information on glyphing and rotation watching into play, though I understand where you're coming from with gear. To be honest, LFR hasn't been kind (to anyone, I know) and he came to us late in the tier, so his reputation level for valor gear is fairly dismal, so gear has been hard to come by outside of raid. We're hoping this coming tier will alleviate a lot for our group, but we want to make sure he's stepping in best food forward.

The only thing is, the addon Elementarist, we've actually had him using, but as far as we can tell, it's not giving him the proper uptime he needs for dot. His reforge/gem strategy is pulled from Mr Robot, and I've been hearing from a handful that Mr Robot isn't exactly holding up for all class/specs at the moment, but it's helped a lot in the right direction for most who aren't more familiar with their class and gearing.

If there is anything else you can think of, I'd be more than happy to hear it. I'll probably give a couple weeks and give and update as to how things are going, pending patch and issues.

Thank you again!

It's better to run SimulationCraft for Stat values than to trust AMR. From experience I know relative stat values for mastery/haste/crit can change dramaticly when you upgrade your gear. Compared to Haste, crit has been anywhere from 60% to 102% value to me! You don't really need Int/hit values (they are roughly 3x secondary stat for Int & 2x for hit rating, regardless of gear level)
    If you have a guildie with a powerful computer (and some spare time), a couple of 50k iteration runs of several different fight times with stat plotting gives the complete picture of stat value in lengthier fights and better gear

I've just looked at Elementarist and it is letting Flame Shock fall off, which is not optimal, that's why I prefer TellMeWhen. It's a bit harder to set up (although if you need, I'll give you setup tips) but it can track all the things you need to DPS.

This might be OBE by now:

1) Elementarist has an option in settings to "force flame shock to stay up"; otherwise, by default, it only keeps it up prior to lava burst.

2) I am assuming the skill level is average in the following statement. As of 5.2, Primal Elementalist (lvl 90 talent), is viable, but you need to run with Ancestral Swiftness (lvl 60 talent), and run your stats as haste > mastery=crit. If the skill is above average, I have found the following to work REALLY well, especially with the high uptime % for 30% haste buffs. Run Ele Mastery (lvl 60 talent) and Ele Blast (lvl 90 talent), and reforge to haste = 4100 > mastery > crit > haste. This puts your lava burst at 1 sec when hero, ele mastery, trinket, or meta gem procs.

3) Run with the Unleashed Lightning Bolt glyph. Only on maybe 1-2 fights is FS better.

My Shaman Armory - Stimpack - DPS is approximately 95-100k when CDs are not up.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...mpack/advanced

Update/Addendum:

With the 5.2 Elemental Mastery, you can combine it with the GoFE and rotate Ascendance & Fire Elemental (Primal or not) on each CD at least untill you have 4pT15 for a steady rotation of cooldown usage. If you are switching to AS & PE, I would personally just Sim the stat values and give Mastery a slight edge because it is more valuable on AoE fights (e.g. Horridon, Tortos,...)

+ Reply to Thread