+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - The Return of Class Quests?

The Weekly Marmot - The Return of Class Quests?

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Class quest for a "Proof" of skill.

I hope they do have class/role quests that give a cosmetic "Boost" like green fire that would serve as proof that you know how to play the class. Having an achievement that states you completed the quest before the next patch dropped would show that you did not simply overgear the quest.

I would expect these to be hard to get in the first blush of an expansion, but still hard enough to be proof of skill until the next patch.

Why do the class quests have to be for only the top few percentage of good players? Blizzard are more than able to do LRF, Normal and Heroic ilevel gear. So why not make class quest instanced and make the reward fit the quality of player? That way the vast majority of player will see and complete the class quest but only the top few percentage will get the greatest reward while the rest of us get the fun and enjoyment of a storied class quest and an item at the end of it.

Because the rewards aren't giving you in game power. Because the only people hurt by poor gameplay in a single player activity are poor players, and quite frankly If it isn't challenging, whats the point? might as well just make the green fire a passive and give locks a cut scene. If you want you poor gameplay to never impact on your expierence you might as well stop playing and watch a movie instead.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

That way the vast majority of player will see and complete the class quest but only the top few percentage will get the greatest reward while the rest of us get the fun and enjoyment of a storied class quest and an item at the end of it.
    How is that any different? Blizzard aren't stopping you from doing the quest, you could always just get better at being a Warlock and go get your green fire. So what if you hit a boss that you can't kill? You get better at it through practice, and more gear makes it easier in the long run too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    How is that any different? Blizzard aren't stopping you from doing the quest, you could always just get better at being a Warlock and go get your green fire. So what if you hit a boss that you can't kill? You get better at it through practice, and more gear makes it easier in the long run too.
    I don't have an issue with this. I did the first part of the Legendary quest for the Rogue daggers and it took me a long time to stealth past the guards, then more than a few wipes to actually solo the boss - in fact, had to leave and repair, get more health pots, bandages, etc, come back stealth back in all over again; in the end it was frustrating but fun to learn all my Rogue's survival tricks and win the fight. It became a challenge, a puzzle on how to do it and it was fun to solve.

I don't think that everyone needs to be able to get everything in some version (easy, normal, hard) in the game, but I also don't think the vast majority of things should be foreclosed from the customer base. I can see if something is based on how one plays one's class, then it should be limited to those who play it well - not perfect, not exceptional top 1%, but well. Nothing really wrong with a reward for those who dedicate some time to their class.

Becuase the rogue legendary quest stalled so often on the solo parts.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Becuase the rogue legendary quest stalled so often on the solo parts.
    I don't get it, never played the Rogue enough to see the second part, which I had heard was easier.

more is good.

More class quest like the green fire quest would be great!

BTW: awesome new sweatshirt, about time your retired the SCII.

Class quests can be fun. The problems with the old quests like some of the ones you mentioned, (Warlock demons, Shaman totems, Druid forms) was that they were necessary spells that were gated behind really annoying, really long chains that were nothing more than fetch quests that were designed to force you to walk to every corner of the world. Quests that were never fun the first time let alone the 2-3rd time should you want to roll alts.

When it is something like green fire or the Rogue daggers class quests can be great because it's not stuff you need to play the class and Blizz actually took time to make them good. If the quest line is fun and engaging and makes you want to complete it but ultimately doesn't matter if you don't, it's great.

Personally I love the new lvl 20 and 50 class dungeon quests they added in Cata, They are short, have a bit of story and you get a nice nostalgic weapon and helm that are actually pretty good for the levels and make great possible transmog gear. Even simple stuff like that can go a long way.

I actually was laughing so hard at the opening, I fell out of my chair.

good job Lore!

and yay on no valor reset.

as for the warlock class quest...all that work just to change a color? Really?
    Last edited by Hega; 02-15-2013 at 10:55 AM.

I managed to do the Rogue Legendary questline to get the daggers and it was fun... I mean, a LOT of fun, for me anyways.

I will say that it did make me a bit more aware of what I could really do with my rogue and I got some 'Shinies' out of it. (which I still keep on me for the Dragon Wing effects... just kinda neat to look at, you know?)

I am happy to see the Green Fire quest be a cosmetic thing though because, I'll tell you from the Rogues perspective, I HATED 4.3 and the rogue only legendaries. By the time I had them I just wanted to quit the game... Thankfully I didn't, but every actual rogue and every FOTM re-roller screaming yelling and making us all look like needy dicks was awful. And frankly, without a raid group, there was no way for you to get past the phase 1 daggers which made you reliant on 9 other people, if not more, and basically everyones 'B****'. By the time my guild was progressing into heroics, I hadn't got the legendaries yet, rolling along in only LFR gear and any attempts at upgrading was moot because some DK/Mage/Druid type would just blow up vent if I rolled on tier gear, even if they already had their H 4-piece and it was for their off spec. All due to getting gem clusters. Yep, 4.3 was an awful time to be a rogue.

So, with it being a cosmetic thing for the warlocks, I feel way more accepting of the idea just because it's a chance for them to have some fun with it. So, good on them, good on blizz and I hope people enjoy it.

BTW - Having a look over the populations of players, has anyone noticed first rogues, now warlocks... Kinda the two LEAST played classes in the game? My tin foil hat is telling me whoever is the third least played MIGHT be next in the line, but I could be way off base here... Just a thought.

idea... Completing the legendary class quest gets you something cosmetic like "Green fire" But then "Unlocks" the ability to transmog legendary weapons.

That way the few elite top teir players of that class can really show off their stuff with orange transmogs.. (but update the old legendary weapons because that old bow is seriously lacking is style these days LOL)

The reward of being a top tier player is being a top tier player, don't need extra jewjaws and crackerjack prizes
    MoP RPS Calculator

The reward of being a top tier player is being a top tier player, don't need extra jewjaws and crackerjack prizes
    QFT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Blizz has been adding limited-access solo challenges since FLs, when they added challenge pets in molten front for hunters and caster-only legendary questlines. I know those aren't single-class quests, but I like to count them in a similar catigory.

The human ego would disagree with you. "No act is so private it does not seek applause" - John Updike.

I miss the old warlock quests to get your demons - the succubus one was really memorable, probably more so for me than the dreadsteed one was.

That falls on it's face when you look at legendary quest chains as they stand, since they kinda give legendaries.

Yet the reward for legendary quests as they stand is an overpowered, balance breaking stat-stick. It would be much nicer if they retired raid legendaries and replaced them with cosmetic awards - they've got more flavor and are less gamebreaking, what's the downside? It's a better solution to the problems that legendaries are than scrapping them completely.

Wait a +500 stat gem that you can solo is game breaking? I'm so confused right now.

Even the absurd T12 legendary, most top tier guilds wanted to get them so they could kill more bosses (hence Blood Legion's Legendary Factory). Again it's the whole "get gear to kill bosses, not kill bosses to get gear" thing.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Again it's the whole "get gear to kill bosses, not kill bosses to get gear"
    Yep. People tend to get that backwards.

I guess it's understandable, since like 99% of the WoW population judges you solely on gear, so people start thinking, "I need to get more gear!" and see it as the end goal. But it's really not. Killing bosses is the goal. Gear is just a tool.

+ Reply to Thread